British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

21 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

The coin on the scales in the last image is not even the one he's selling. That one looks geniune with wear. 

31 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

Reported! 👍

Nice 1. I did as well. fortunately to the trained eye they are bad casts but they are going to fool a lot of people. hopefully we have halted 1 scumbag :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

Nice 1. I did as well. fortunately to the trained eye they are bad casts but they are going to fool a lot of people. hopefully we have halted 1 scumbag :)

It's worked. It's been pulled. 👍

• Like 1

3 x Gold fake coins listed today on eBay. sadly plenty of bidders. I have reported them but sadly eBay have got so slow I doubt they will do anything

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/moreforyou10/m.html?item=112842342985&hash=item1a45ed8249%3Ag%3Ah2IAAOSwkNpagdp1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

9 minutes ago, markflorida said:

3 x Gold fake coins listed today on eBay. sadly plenty of bidders. I have reported them but sadly eBay have got so slow I doubt they will do anything

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/moreforyou10/m.html?item=112842342985&hash=item1a45ed8249%3Ag%3Ah2IAAOSwkNpagdp1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Fake slabs Mark? :(

It's getting bad when they are actually slabbing these coins. It will make buyers think the coins are genuine. Personally i couldn't tell the difference.  Nice one finding these. I,ve reported his posts. 👍

Yes - I am happy to join in reporting them, but I need to be confident they are fake for my own peace of mind. What are the tell-tales on these ones? Is it just because he has obscured the NGC references?

I like also that the seller is supposedly in the Netherlands, it's listed on ebay.co.uk but the postal details  Posta Assicurata Internazionale  are in Italian.

23 hours ago, Ukstu said:

It's worked. It's been pulled. 👍

He PM'd me and asked why I thought it was a replica. I feel quite sorry for the guy. He said he bought it about a year ago as genuine so it must of cost him a few bob. He said that more than 1 person commented on the authenticity of the coin and didn't want to carry on the sale knowing someone could fall foul as he did. Which is kudos to the guy. There seems to have been a clutch of these appear and they are very convincing to a novice and even a semi-knowledgeable collector. But as always esp with our pre-1920 silver its all in the detail. Most of the replica's are selling as that classed as commemorative issues @ £4.95. but I guess there will always be the odd scammer who will take advantage. just a sign of the times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zookeeperz said:

He PM'd me and asked why I thought it was a replica. I feel quite sorry for the guy. He said he bought it about a year ago as genuine so it must of cost him a few bob. He said that more than 1 person commented on the authenticity of the coin and didn't want to carry on the sale knowing someone could fall foul as he did. Which is kudos to the guy. There seems to have been a clutch of these appear and they are very convincing to a novice and even a semi-knowledgeable collector. But as always esp with our pre-1920 silver its all in the detail. Most of the replica's are selling as that classed as commemorative issues @ £4.95. but I guess there will always be the odd scammer who will take advantage. just a sign of the times.

So how come he had a different coin on the scales? I politely asked him for a photo of the correct coin on the scales, and he replied that it was the same one. I pointed out a few nicks etc that showed it wasn't, after which it all went quiet...

• Like 1

Just now, mrbadexample said:

So how come he had a different coin on the scales? I politely asked him for a photo of the correct coin on the scales, and he replied that it was the same one. I pointed out a few nicks etc that showed it wasn't, after which it all went quiet...

Obviously harder to see obverses identical as pics were at different angles but notice the reverse both coins top being a known replica and that guys coin both have the broken 3 in the same place

1903cr-tile.jpg

It was definitely different coins. The details were more worn on the one on the scales especially around the lions and harp , the toning was completely different also. Least he did the right thing when challenged about it but he definitely intended to try and swindle somebody initially until he was pulled up. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

It was definitely different coins. The details were more worn on the one on the scales especially around the lions and harp , the toning was completely different also. Least he did the right thing when challenged about it but he definitely intended to try and swindle somebody initially until he was pulled up. 

I pointed out the nick on the bead above & between the H&A, plus the nick in front of the harpy-lady's navel, both on the duff coin but not the one on the scales. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Edited by mrbadexample
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

I pointed out the nick on the bead above & between the H&A, plus the nick in front of the harpy-lady's navel, both on the duff coin but not the one on the scales. He knew exactly what he was doing.

I agree.He is a scumbag scammer.

People like him will lie through their teeth.

• Like 1

And he now knows which part of the image to soft focus.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bagerap said:

And he now knows which part of the image to soft focus.

Maybe. But I like to think he felt uncomfortable enough to pull the listing.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Maybe. But I like to think he felt uncomfortable enough to pull the listing.

Could someone check out his past sales please? I see he's sold a few 1903 coins in the last few months but I'm more concerned about the sale of the job lot of copper and bronze on the 12th Dec. 

Comments on the dot penny appreciated. Fingers crossed. 

9 minutes ago, Zo Arms said:

Could someone check out his past sales please? I see he's sold a few 1903 coins in the last few months but I'm more concerned about the sale of the job lot of copper and bronze on the 12th Dec. 

Comments on the dot penny appreciated. Fingers crossed. 

Link please. I don't see any sales on 12/12.

21 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Link please. I don't see any sales on 12/12.

Sorry. My mistake. 10th Dec. It's the job lot of copper and bronze. Opening photo is an 1897 dot penny. I can't provide a link because I'm computer illiterate. 

Seems like I can't do a smiley face either. 

9 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

14 minutes ago, Zo Arms said:

That's the one. I kept the dot penny and popped the rest in the heavy copper box. Would you say it's genuine or have I caught a bullet

Looks cleaned but good apart from that? Although what do I know? :unsure:

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:20 AM, zookeeperz said:

Obviously harder to see obverses identical as pics were at different angles but notice the reverse both coins top being a known replica and that guys coin both have the broken 3 in the same place

1903cr-tile.jpg

I reported both of these coins. Another I reported it's not even a good fake if there is such a thing.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VICTORIAN-SILVER-CROWN-1892/323114460538?hash=item4b3b1f657a:g:PGoAAOSwLWZamv79

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Looks cleaned but good apart from that? Although what do I know? :unsure:

Very reassuring. Thank you for taking the time and interest to look. You all know far more than I ever will.

Bob.