British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Just seen this 1816 shilling with what appears to be the words Mal y Pensr being sold on ebay. Is this a different variation or just my iffy eyesight?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1816-George-lll-silver-sixpence-in-EF-Condition/162889375622?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

3 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Just seen this 1816 shilling with what appears to be the words Mal y Pensr being sold on ebay. Is this a different variation or just my iffy eyesight?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1816-George-lll-silver-sixpence-in-EF-Condition/162889375622?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Neither. It's a degrading E which if you look at the first E of PENSE, is also going rather skewy.

• Like 1

Irish 1/2d

10 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Can anyone tell me what the 1789 hibernia coin in this lot is please?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Job-Lot-Of-Old-And-Foreign-Coins/253412954986?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Where was the value in that lot? £75? :o

Haha I was the underbidder, thinking that 1789 Irish halfpenny was some type of rare coin. Maybe because there is limited info on this Samsung galaxy tablet, I could not for some reason find any info on the coin. Thought I had struck it rich!!

18 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Haha I was the underbidder, thinking that 1789 Irish halfpenny was some type of rare coin. Maybe because there is limited info on this Samsung galaxy tablet, I could not for some reason find any info on the coin. Thought I had struck it rich!!

That's because it's 1782. ;) Think you dodged a bullet there.

Edited by mrbadexample
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

That's because it's 1782. ;) Think you dodged a bullet there.

Certainly dodged a bullet! I don't think I would go more than £20 on the lot - and did you see the postage charges?

• Like 1

All I could see was a little bit of silver in the guilders and you'd get £2 back for the £2.

• Like 1

Wow, specsavers here I come!!!

This jokers been selling bad fake anglo saxon coins for ages. Items dispatch from Madrid in Thailand??? 

This ones one of the more laughable ones. A Gold Pax Penny of Harold II. 

Please feel free to report it and the rest of his Anglo saxon stock. Thanks. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANGLO-SAXON-York-Harold-II-PAX-GOLD-transaction-half-penny-AU/273067358447

Edited by Ukstu

3 minutes ago, craigy said:

When I was at university I went through a barbed wire fence (backwards while drunk) and it raked my face on the way through - but I ended up with fewer scratches on my face than that half crown!

Looks like a bit of silver dipping went array. They must of fell asleep and left in there overnight lol

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

When I was at university I went through a barbed wire fence (backwards while drunk) and it raked my face on the way through - but I ended up with fewer scratches on my face than that half crown!

Meh. Not exactly Johnny Hoogerland though are ya? :P

Johnny Hoogerland.jpg

• Like 1

Ouch !!!!

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

Ouch !!!!

Not being a footballer, he got up, finished the stage (about 35km), collected his polka-dot jersey on the podium, then went off to hospital to get his stitches. He was also gracious enough to say he didn't blame the driver of the car who punted him into the fence, as he was sure they didn't want it to happen. Apparently, Superman wears Johnny Hoogerland pants. :)

I'll stop now so we can get back to ebay's worst. ;)

Hi.

Can anyone give me their opinion on this halfcrown please?  I purchased it from ebay recently but I have been informed that it has been an ex-mount. If it has been then it has beeen professionally repaired, right down to the ridges matching up. 

Thanks.

20180214_084048~2.jpg

Obverse...

20180214_084036~2.jpg

20180215_094418~2.jpg

20180215_095718~2.jpg

Looks ex-mount to me. The third picture looks particularly damning. :(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Looks ex-mount to me. The third picture looks particularly damning. :(

Definitely - but as Declan says, very professionally done although I don't think it's ever possible to remove all mounting evidence.