British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Is that copper coloured stuff UNDERLYING or on the surface? Could be a coontemporary forgery.

I took apart an old disc drive, and got the curved neodymium magnet out.

Sliding a coin down it at about 45˚ really shows up sterling silver from other alloys.

Only pure copper comes close.

• Like 1

Unfortunately that doesn't help you - it could be either.

• Like 1

Thanks Chris.

I will see if it will come off with soap and water. 

I nearly bid on these in case any of the silver coins were not fake.  Talking to the seller I was not convinced. He was claiming a total lack of knowledge of any of the coins...  (but went quiet when I suggested weighing them)   -  If the silver coins in the pic are real then someone got a massive bargain...  the 1731 8 Reals piece would be over £700 in this condition alone...  I am pretty sure it looks too good to be true....    I told him the coins were worth hundreds if not fake and he feigned surprise and just said that someone would get a bargain then...  hmm. not for me this month...  If I though they were genuine I'd have bet a load.

What makes me think that he KNOWS they are fakes is that I offered to pay a lot more than the winning bid if he would agree to refund the money if they turned out to be fake.  He just went quiet again.  Why would you take £50 for a lot of coins that someone had offered you a couple of hundred for if you didn't know? 

If they are real then wow - amazing coins for the money (I'm talking about the 5 silver coins here, not the 1953 set or the coin no one can see).

I would have loved these coins for this price if they were real! :-) Surely others would have bid for these if anyone at all thought they were real.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/job-lot-old-coins/232656038012?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

PS - I nearly took a punt just in case! Probably good that I didn't,...  I get sucked in far to often with fake coins that look too good to be true. 

Edited by DrP

£5 -£9. I got a VF beauty class 2b of Bristol last November for £30. 

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, DrP said:

I nearly bid on these in case any of the silver coins were not fake.  Talking to the seller I was not convinced. He was claiming a total lack of knowledge of any of the coins...  (but went quiet when I suggested weighing them)   -  If the silver coins in the pic are real then someone got a massive bargain...  the 1731 8 Reals piece would be over £700 in this condition alone...  I am pretty sure it looks too good to be true....    I told him the coins were worth hundreds if not fake and he feigned surprise and just said that someone would get a bargain then...  hmm. not for me this month...  If I though they were genuine I'd have bet a load.

What makes me think that he KNOWS they are fakes is that I offered to pay a lot more than the winning bid if he would agree to refund the money if they turned out to be fake.  He just went quiet again.  Why would you take £50 for a lot of coins that someone had offered you a couple of hundred for if you didn't know? 

If they are real then wow - amazing coins for the money (I'm talking about the 5 silver coins here, not the 1953 set or the coin no one can see).

I would have loved these coins for this price if they were real! :-) Surely others would have bid for these if anyone at all thought they were real.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/job-lot-old-coins/232656038012?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

PS - I nearly took a punt just in case! Probably good that I didn't,...  I get sucked in far to often with fake coins that look too good to be true. 

Good move. The 5 big dark coins all look like modern reproductions. Even with the low light background he's tried to photograph them under they scream fake. 

• Like 1

Edited by DrP

7 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

£5 -£9. I got a VF beauty class 2b of Bristol last November for £30. 

I think I have one in similar condition to that listed...  it came with a job lot of scrappy and damaged random silver hammered coins. Fills a gap and at an average of about £2.00 per coin I was quite pleased...  wouldn't pay £30 quid for it though....  maybe I would for your VF version, lol, but I don't need it that badly, I am happy with my filler. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DrP said:

What would you say that Bristol mint coin is worth in this condition....   a tenner give or take?  

Sorry i dont have a clue about them....when the item was first listed the picture was of a GATE :D

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

Good move. The 5 big dark coins all look like modern reproductions. Even with the low light background he's tried to photograph them under they scream fake. 

Yup, they're all obvious and well known fakes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PWA 1967 said:

Sorry i dont have a clue about them....when the item was first listed the picture was of a GATE :D

Yea - I saw that gate - very funny.

I think UKstu hit the price about right...  tenner max. Maybe someone would pay £12 at a coin fair if they needed the Britol mint in particular to go with others in a set they were building or something...  I'd stick a tenner on it and take offers. ;-) 

12 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

Somehow - hearing this from someone I have never met on a coin site DOES make me feel better for not buying them - thank you! :-) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, declan03 said:

I am no expert but that looks entirely fake to me. I hope the buyer realises as soon as he gets it.

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

I am no expert but that looks entirely fake to me. I hope the buyer realises as soon as he gets it.

Just doesn't look right to me.

On 12/19/2017 at 5:17 PM, Nick said:

The Chinese fakers have just about managed to make convincing replicas.  However, they still can't manage to do the edge lettering properly.  Voila, stick in a fake slab that obscures the edge.  Job done.

Not sure picking a PR67+ slab to copy was wise though.  This is what it should look like:

26559530_max.jpg

That is a beautiful looking coin.

They seem to have got it all wrong, the bottom half of the bust is wrong for the head. Looks like an 1885 Lower bust with an 1847 head combo.

4 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

They seem to have got it all wrong, the bottom half of the bust is wrong for the head. Looks like an 1885 Lower bust with an 1847 head combo.

For clairty, I mean the one on ebay.

The pcgs one, well .. I dream of those one day.

Maybe.

Apart from the metal overflow on the rim, the design looks ok for an 1885 florin (Davies obv 9).  However, it looks cleaned, so the bargepole rule should apply.

Or those alphabet letters in the sweet shop......:)