British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

A dodgy seller advertises  it and gets a friend to put in a "shill" bid in the hope of attracting a mug into bidding against him/her.The sale ends up getting cancelled, so nothing ventured nothing gained. They're up to all the tricks.???

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ukstu said:

Thoughts on these 3.  I wouldn't touch them thats for sure. Cyprus and dispatch from Bulgaria mentioned in the neg feedback. No thanks. 

Your mention of Bulgaria brought this to mind currently on Catawiki - I've been toying with the idea of going for it but, problem, the seller is based in Bulgaria. It looks authentic but I think alarm bells are ringing.What makes me shy away even more so, is that over the past week I have sent three messages to Catawiki, to the numismatic expert in charge of this auction, requesting info on any provenance while also mentioning that since the seller is in Bulgaria it would be a reassurance if there was provenance, and Catawiki have been stony silent - not a confidence booster for an online auction house that pushes its professional expertise. I know this isn't Fleabay but any thoughts on this?

https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/15523379-united-kingdom-newark-9-pence-1646-siege-money-charles-i-silver

26 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

Your mention of Bulgaria brought this to mind currently on Catawiki - I've been toying with the idea of going for it but, problem, the seller is based in Bulgaria. It looks authentic but I think alarm bells are ringing.What makes me shy away even more so, is that over the past week I have sent three messages to Catawiki, to the numismatic expert in charge of this auction, requesting info on any provenance while also mentioning that since the seller is in Bulgaria it would be a reassurance if there was provenance, and Catawiki have been stony silent - not a confidence booster for an online auction house that pushes its professional expertise. I know this isn't Fleabay but any thoughts on this?

https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/15523379-united-kingdom-newark-9-pence-1646-siege-money-charles-i-silver

Havn't had any dealings with catawiki ,so I had a look at some of there auctions .The straits settlement dollar that states that it is 100% genuine ,but is only 20 grams and poorly cast,  doesn't fill me with any confidence  they have any expertise ,if they cant weed that out . 

Edited by mick1271

In my opinion, it looks in too good condition Stu, especially with it still being under estimate.. If the bidding takes off toward the 2k mark then its possibly ok. I personally would stay away if they cannot even correspond with you and you have any doubts. . You know all the old cliches without me telling you.

45 minutes ago, declan03 said:

In my opinion, it looks in too good condition Stu, especially with it still being under estimate.. If the bidding takes off toward the 2k mark then its possibly ok. I personally would stay away if they cannot even correspond with you and you have any doubts. . You know all the old cliches without me telling you.

Actually, I reckon you should be able to pick one of these (F-VF) up for under a thousand at auction on a good day so they've pitched the estimate in the right ballpark (unlike some of the silly asking prices on eBay that normally exceed 3K and they never seem to get sold) but as you say if there are doubts, steer clear. 

If the seller wasn't in Bulgaria I'd have more confidence and this is not helped by the silence from Catawiki  which sucks! 

Frank

Edited by hibernianscribe

I would leave those Newark ones alone unless from a dealer or main auction house especially if coming from Bulgaria and costing £1K plus.

They could even post a picture of a real one and send you a copy which even then if your not familiar with them would need to get checked out.

One to swerve IMO :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

The very mention of Bulgaria is enough for me. I'd personally swerve it. A coin like that will / should have provenance. If they are not forthcoming about it's previous history I'd say they are trying to hide something and shift it on to somebody who will just take it no questions asked. 

13 hours ago, Ukstu said:

That has to be dodgy. The top listing has the same obverse die as the bottom two. Bottom pieces are both Lincoln, ending within a quarter of an hour of each other on the same day with two separate listing. The top one might have a Stamford reverse, but the same obverse die makes both wrong. These two pairings need to go on a list as do the second and third looking at the metal.

• Like 1

Thanks Rob. You've confirmed what i thought. I've been looking to get either or Cnut or Aethelred II penny for Christmas. 

That Moneyer Waldlos at Lincoln has been popping up frequently , more frequently than you'd expect. That's what got me initially suspicious. 

I would never purchase a coin from Cyprus or Bulgaria due to them being hotbeds for counterfeiting. 

I think I'll be getting one from a dealer now. If those above are dodgy then somebody's upping the game as they look really good. 

Another one in Tranent East Lothian by a different seller. Seller has a neg for fakes and his other stuff doesn't look cosher. His name also sounds Cypriot. Definitely foreign looking. Positive these are not geniune coins.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cnut-Penny-Waldlos-1029-35/282777368747

Edited by Ukstu

5 hours ago, Ukstu said:

The very mention of Bulgaria is enough for me. I'd personally swerve it. A coin like that will / should have provenance. If they are not forthcoming about it's previous history I'd say they are trying to hide something and shift it on to somebody who will just take it no questions asked. 

I see it went for £595 - a nice price for a genuine one - we shall never know for sure. It looks as though more than me shied away from it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hibernianscribe said:

I see it went for £595 - a nice price for a genuine one - we shall never know for sure. It looks as though more than me shied away from it.

Definitely. If it was geniune it would of raised more. People were obviously suspicious/ cautious of it. Similar story with these Cnuts. £122 seems average price. That seems low to me . Obviously people are being cautious. 

Bulgaria has obviously moved past AR coins and spread it's wings. 

Edited by Ukstu

1 hour ago, jelida said:

Not sure it’s the worst offering, but I certainly don’t want to try it!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victoria-Bum-Head-One-Penny/182981956692?hash=item2a9a931454:g:NGkAAOSwrxdaQW0c

Jerry

:unsure::unsure::lol:

On 12/24/2017 at 7:03 PM, Ukstu said:

Another one in Tranent East Lothian by a different seller. Seller has a neg for fakes and his other stuff doesn't look cosher. His name also sounds Cypriot. Definitely foreign looking. Positive these are not geniune coins.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cnut-Penny-Waldlos-1029-35/282777368747

Whatever the reputation of the seller, the coin pictured is one of Stamford, not Lincoln as per the description. I suspect the title might be closer to the coin received than the one pictured. 

I hadn't even noticed it was Stamford. I just saw Waldlos and tranent East Lothian plus his wares & feedback. 

Nice low starting price on this one - £58,000  

• Like 1

On 24/12/2017 at 9:10 PM, Ukstu said:

Definitely. If it was geniune it would of raised more. People were obviously suspicious/ cautious of it. Similar story with these Cnuts. £122 seems average price. That seems low to me . Obviously people are being cautious. 

Bulgaria has obviously moved past AR coins and spread it's wings. 

More's the point what the bloody hell are Catwiki doing using sellers with less than 95% feedback rating. 83% I wouldn't accept anything from a seller with that rating even if they gave it for free. As for the Auctioneer and the valuations I think it is a case of looks like an XF thumb through the sales and put up average prices. Rather than an in depth scrutiny on condition and authenticity. I questioned one of their sales of a 1961 Irish Mule half crown as it wasn't but had no reply and sale went through so who knows what happens there. A lot of the postage costs are very unreasonable probably x3 what they should be whilst others are very good. But if they wish to keep the 7.9/10 trust pilot rating having sellers with 83% reputation will soon kick that down a few spots if they are not careful:ph34r:

10 hours ago, HistoricCoinage said:

Doesn’t sit well with me either, but then I do confess to having very little knowledge of the early pennies. It doesn’t help that it’s listed alongside a number of 21st century pennies?? ?

I used to work at Catawiki as their British coin auctioneer and was horrified to see that they had allowed this guy to register under a different seller ID and start selling his fakes again.  I told my old boss but it doesn't seem to have changed anything.  I fell out with them while I was there over exactly this issue.  That's why I don't work there any more...

The seller is an extremely well known seller of fakes called Michael Hibbs.  Last year he was operating out of Istanbul, now it's Bulgaria.  Anyone who has been in the Anglo-Saxon field for a while might know the name.  Tony Abramson devoted a whole chapter to him in his cracking tome on Anglo-Saxon counterfeits. 

3 hours ago, declanwmagee said:

I used to work at Catawiki as their British coin auctioneer and was horrified to see that they had allowed this guy to register under a different seller ID and start selling his fakes again.  I told my old boss but it doesn't seem to have changed anything.  I fell out with them while I was there over exactly this issue.  That's why I don't work there any more...

The seller is an extremely well known seller of fakes called Michael Hibbs.  Last year he was operating out of Istanbul, now it's Bulgaria.  Anyone who has been in the Anglo-Saxon field for a while might know the name.  Tony Abramson devoted a whole chapter to him in his cracking tome on Anglo-Saxon counterfeits. 

Declan, your post is most interesting and explains a lot now to me why my messages to Catawiki asking about provenance of the Newark ninepence in their coin auction on Xmas Eve (it sold for £595) were met with silence. As detailed in my previous post, I also mentioned to their "expert" (Marcel Spijkerbosch) my concerns that the seller (going under the name "anglosaxonandviking") was based in Bulgaria. It would seem that my concerns were justified and Catawiki's silence speaks a thousand words!

Edited by hibernianscribe