British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Another one for the blog. 1722 Farthing. One of my kids. Just found it mixed in with some 1ps and 2ps on my mantle. 

JointPics_20171212_151751.JPG

• Like 1

I love how people have suddenly started going through their lofts *really thoroughly*.

Honestly, I wouldn't be able to find the Titanic in mine, let alone a solitary gold coin!

• Like 2

Not my area of expertise but this looks a bit too sharp and pristine:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132430889189?ul_noapp=true

1 hour ago, Ukstu said:

Another one for the blog. 1722 Farthing. One of my kids. Just found it mixed in with some 1ps and 2ps on my mantle. 

JointPics_20171212_151751.JPG

Stu, I will gladly put this in the blog, thanks. Can you tell me a little more? In simple terms, what tells you this is not a genuine old coin? To me it looks too sharp, and the colour looks wrong. But I only know that because I have other coins of my own to compare with. 

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

These metal detecting finds are going to another level now.Not £100 Not £300 but £44K.

1933 penny he found in Norfolk :D

He must have use his metal detector , in a Chinese takeaway.:D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hibernianscribe said:

Not my area of expertise but this looks a bit too sharp and pristine:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132430889189?ul_noapp=true

They look ok to me ,but I dont have any high grade Geo III to compare them to. If fake ,they would catch me out ,but if I was spending a couple of hundred on a coin, I would have done my homework 1st .

1 hour ago, newheart said:

Stu, I will gladly put this in the blog, thanks. Can you tell me a little more? In simple terms, what tells you this is not a genuine old coin? To me it looks too sharp, and the colour looks wrong. But I only know that because I have other coins of my own to compare with. 

Now your asking complicated questions lol. Because its crap , less than 12 months old and i bought it off Alibongo. ?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

Now your asking complicated questions lol. Because its crap , less than 12 months old and i bought it off Alibongo. ?

LOL!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

can't see much wrong with them other than cleaned badly :rolleyes:

Thanks - yes, I think you've 'nailed' why they don't look right. The rubbish cleaning has taken away any attractiveness. 

1 hour ago, declan03 said:

Yep.  Another replica.  You can see a little of the milled edge on the first photo.  The 1847 crown doesn't have a milled edge.

Edited by Nick

Its a bit darker than the other 1847. It just doesn't look right, but I thought I would get a 2nd opinion. I,ve messaged the seller. Going by the rest of their listings, this looks out of place.

14 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Its a bit darker than the other 1847. It just doesn't look right, but I thought I would get a 2nd opinion. I,ve messaged the seller. Going by the rest of their listings, this looks out of place.

On 12/8/2017 at 5:26 PM, DaveG38 said:

One method that might help, would be to put up a 'spoof' advert on eBay showing pictures of known fake coins with explanations i.e. those already being advertised, with a request not to bid on the items shown. I've seen this done before and it was helpful. Could be done from a 'new' eBay account so as to avoid compromising one's own normal username. It would be interesting to see how long it would take eBay to twig and take the auction down for that non-item.

Looks like an antique silver dealer that has assumed it is a genuine crown and knows they will go for more than the starting price in that condition.

Here we go again remember that old saying if it looks too good to be true. No obverse pics. Obviously a pic of a normal circ Kew. If I were a bookie I would lay £100 - £1 the coin you receive is a copy.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kew-Gardens-50P-Coin-genuine-rare/122858253448

36 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

Ugly looking thing as well. Reported! ?

Me too, it's horrible! 

Worth £60 ? Looks OK as far as you can guess from 3rd party pics.

1910floobv-horz.jpg

Looks ok to me.

1 hour ago, declan03 said:

I've bought a couple of tokens off her in the past with no problems, as Rob says I think she's just assumed it's correct as she's not a coin dealer