British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

9 hours ago, TomGoodheart said:

Ah, I wondered if that was it.  Yeah, you can trust that seller, though his (her?) coins always seem to go for reasonable amounts.  I suspect they have quite a few followers so less chance of a bargain.  It's always worth keeping a record of such things I think.  Then you can refer back and compare when something else comes up you like. 

My coin of that variety?  I bought my original in 2004 and didn't manage to find one I liked better until 10 years later!  Not that they are terribly rare .. but I am awfully fussy!  Then I bought another because I liked the provenance.  Silly hobby really!  :P

He has another auction next weekend of hammered coins, some nice looking coins again up for sale.

• Like 1

Great guide. Don't worry about eBay pulling your guides. They don't bother. I have one up about fake pax pennies. I regularly update it with links to live fakes on there site. Nobody's said anything and its been active over 12 month's now. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, newheart said:

If anyone has some good examples of replica coins do let me know?

I still have pictures of the fake 1864 florin die number 64 if you want them?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nick said:

I still have pictures of the fake 1864 florin die number 64 if you want them?

Yes please! But I am new to coin collecting so I would need a good explanation as to why you know it is a fake. If you have the time, that'd be great.

If you scroll back this link, you will find all the replicas about. If it helps any. ?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, declan03 said:

If you scroll back this link, you will find all the replicas about. If it helps any. ?

LOL - yes all 327 pages! Some homework for me... I work full time and have kids etc so my time for this blog is limited. Time aside, one problem with going through the old pages is that the explanations are not often clear enough for a newbie, which is what I am. 

37 minutes ago, newheart said:

LOL - yes all 327 pages! Some homework for me... I work full time and have kids etc so my time for this blog is limited. Time aside, one problem with going through the old pages is that the explanations are not often clear enough for a newbie, which is what I am. 

Heres a link to the rubbish pax pennies that are getting flogged. The two other links are ebay sales of those same crap pennies. Not sure how you can word it but the pictures may prove useful if you want to add them to your guide. 

Regards

Stu. 

http://dorchesters.com/william-i-the-conqueror-penny-paxs-type?filter_name=Pax%20penny

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162695896234

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hammered-coins/162738646034

• Like 1

Nice one Stu. Dorchester coins is a treasure trove of fakes.

2 hours ago, newheart said:

Yes please! But I am new to coin collecting so I would need a good explanation as to why you know it is a fake. If you have the time, that'd be great.

Here is an example (there are many others):

ex1.JPG

Search the forum for 1864 florin and you will find all the previous threads mentioning the reasons why they are fake.  I believe the original coin that all of the fakes were copied from is in the Heritage Archive.

Edited by Nick
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nick said:

ex1.JPG

Search the forum for 1864 florin and you will find all the previous threads mentioning the reasons why they are fake.  I believe the original coin that all of the fakes were copied from is in the Heritage Archive.

Thanks Nick. I don't presently have time to read through the previous posts as a newbie to understand why it is a fake. I was hoping others on here would input some brief text explaining why a particular coin is a fake plus photos. This way I can copy and paste onto the blog. Don't get me wrong, if I get the time I will do more research myself, but it would be quicker for the 'experts' on here who know these things to write this stuff up. 

4 hours ago, Ukstu said:

Heres a link to the rubbish pax pennies that are getting flogged. The two other links are ebay sales of those same crap pennies. Not sure how you can word it but the pictures may prove useful if you want to add them to your guide. 

Regards

Stu. 

http://dorchesters.com/william-i-the-conqueror-penny-paxs-type?filter_name=Pax%20penny

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162695896234

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hammered-coins/162738646034

Thanks for the links Stu. Yes the words are tricky!

For the Dorchester replica coins, are these sold as fillers? Are these marked to indicate they are copies?

In the first ebay link above (" INTERESTING UNKNOWN VERY EARLY SILVER COIN ") in laymans terms, how do you know this is a copy? 

For the second eBay link (" hammered coins ") again, how do you identify that a a copy?

No worries if you do not have time to answer :-)

Cheers, Pete

They may be marked with a small R. Museum reproductions do the same coin/token. There all cast from the same original. If you look at them you'll see exactly the same marks and indentations on them plus they look as if they are peeling. 

Take a look at the one here http://www.museumreproductions.co.uk/shop/viewitem.php?productid=466

Then examine the two from the eBay links and you'll see what i mean. On the paxs side next to the S in pax you'll see it looks clipped on the edge.Also the X in pax has a smudge / blob on it. They are just two easily noticeable marks on all of them. Also look at the short cross that runs on the obverse , notice the nick on the cross between the S and P. There is other noticeable marks too. ? Remember no two coins should look alike , each should have its own nicks and knocks.

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

I found this 1839 modern replica for sale on aliexpress (yours for just $2.00!). Excuse my ignorance, but what coin is this meant to be? It will feature on my blog. Cheers, Pete

aliexpress-1839 QUEEN VICTORIA-headsandtails-200.jpg

26 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

They may be marked with a small R. Museum reproductions do the same coin/token. There all cast from the same original. If you look at them you'll see exactly the same marks and indentations on them plus they look as if they are peeling. 

Take a look at the one here http://www.museumreproductions.co.uk/shop/viewitem.php?productid=466

Then examine the two from the eBay links and you'll see what i mean. On the paxs side next to the S in pax you'll see it looks clipped on the edge.Also the X in pax has a smudge / blob on it. They are just two easily noticeable marks on all of them. Also look at the short cross that runs on the obverse , notice the nick on the cross between the S and P. There is other noticeable marks too. ? Remember no two coins should look alike , each should have its own nicks and knocks.

Thanks Stu. I cannot see any R on these. The image on http://www.museumreproductions.co.uk/shop/viewitem.php?productid=466 is way too small to see any details too. 

Does anyone have a decent photo of a coin like this with the R?

They may not have the R on them. I've bought other replicas off museum reproductions for my kids. All are usually stamped with a discreet R. 

5 hours ago, Nick said:

ex1.JPG

Nick I had a quick look through old forum posts about this coin and the level of knowledge required to identify this particular copy is pretty high. For example "tell-tale cud on the serif of the N of TENTH on the reverse and the same digs in the field in front of Victoria's face". What is a serif? What is a cud? Again, please excuse my ignorance!

Edited by newheart

51 minutes ago, newheart said:

Nick I had a quick look through old forum posts about this coin and the level of knowledge required to identify this particular copy is pretty high. For example "tell-tale cud on the serif of the N of TENTH on the reverse and the same digs in the field in front of Victoria's face". What is a serif? What is a cud? Again, please excuse my ignorance!

A cud is a small blob of metal which shouldnt be there (quite common on modern 20p's) A serif is a stroke or line added to the end of a letter or number .ie on an 1864 penny the horizontal bar ends with a serif (line rising upwards ) or a vertical bar or serifs (cross crosslet type )  Serif and sans-serif 03.svg. the red marks are serifs

Edited by mick1271
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, newheart said:

I was hoping others on here would input some brief text explaining why a particular coin is a fake plus photos.

I see that you've now done some digging, but it was simply that no two coins can end up with the same incuse marks and scratches unless they are copies.  If the marks were on the dies, many coins would have the same marks, but they would be raised (not incuse) on any coins struck.

Edited by Nick
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick said:

I see that you've now done some digging, but it was simply that no two coins can end up with the same incuse marks and scratches unless they are copies.  If the marks were on the dies, many coins would have the same marks, but they would be raised (not incuse) on any coins struck.

Thanks Nick. I do get that now, and will see if I can explain that in the blog when time allows. Thanks again, Pete

5 hours ago, newheart said:

Thanks Nick. I don't presently have time to read through the previous posts as a newbie to understand why it is a fake. I was hoping others on here would input some brief text explaining why a particular coin is a fake plus photos. This way I can copy and paste onto the blog. Don't get me wrong, if I get the time I will do more research myself, but it would be quicker for the 'experts' on here who know these things to write this stuff up. 

The telltale on these particular forgeries (Northumberland shillings fall into the same category, and other 'infamous' coins too) is that they have been expertly minted from a die created from an genuine original. They fool experts but put two of them  side by side and the truth becomes clear - you see, every single facet of the original has been reproduced which means not only the main elements of the design, but scratches and flaws too. These are like fingerprints - they identify an individual coin from its peers and if there's suddenly several examples all identical, you can guarantee that someone has been up to no good. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, newheart said:

I found this 1839 modern replica for sale on aliexpress (yours for just $2.00!). Excuse my ignorance, but what coin is this meant to be? It will feature on my blog. Cheers, Pete

aliexpress-1839 QUEEN VICTORIA-headsandtails-200.jpg

http://www.royalmintmuseum.org.uk/collection/collection-highlights/coins/the-una-and-the-lion-five-pound-piece/index.html

http://worldnumismaticnews.com/2017/10/04/una-and-the-lion-coin-sells-for-nearly-12-million-dollars/

https://taxfreegold.co.uk/victoriaunaandthelionreplicaset.html

• Like 1

There were also a handful of trial pieces struck in silver. 

The allexpress jobs are probably intended for plating. No doubt ebayers will soon be finding examples of this one in a grandparent's attic.

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 1

These metal detecting finds are going to another level now.Not £100 Not £300 but £44K.

1933 penny he found in Norfolk :D

Why Does an Alarm bell ring when I see this. What is with the curly 7's and the oval 0 and the funny serifs on the N's? I take it that is a 1707 sixpence supposed metal detecting find.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Detecting-Find-Coin-SILVER/263379664237

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Loft-Find-Coin-GOLD/263380611044

Edited by zookeeperz
  • Like 1