British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

1 hour ago, declan03 said:

A battle between red and purple stars.  You'd have thought that people that have bought that many items would have half a clue.  Obviously not.

• Like 1

Not far off the  price for a real coin in decent preservation!

• Like 1

I might purchase four of them for £15. The customers seem to love them!!! ?????

1 minute ago, declan03 said:

I might purchase four of them for £15. The customers seem to love them!!! ?????

It's certainly not unreasonable that people want gap fillers, I quite understand it, but in 50 years time when these collections come up for sale it'll be an absolute nightmare explaining that all the best most rare coins are utter crap.

7 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

It's certainly not unreasonable that people want gap fillers, I quite understand it, but in 50 years time when these collections come up for sale it'll be an absolute nightmare explaining that all the best most rare coins are utter crap.

Just one in your collection and your missus or kids could be convinced by some unscrupulous fiend that your collection is garbage and haggled down to nothing for your collection after you've passed on.  I don't have any in mine. I've bought a few for the kids but that's it.  

• Like 2

Its damn well out of order. As Vicky mentioned, there are a lot of sellers with genuine crowns for sale, but cannot sell them because of scumbags like this. I would be gutted to find out a few months down the line that i threw away £250 for a £4 replica!!

• Like 2

I found a suspect 1905 shilling in a recent job lot, fortunately I didn't stump much for "everything", but knowing how hard and expensive real ones are, gives me reason to believe it isn't kosher (that and the edges feel like they were pressed yesterday).

I just need to find a decent place to bury it for a thousand years - perhaps with my ashes and a couple of Romans and a few Olympic 50p's etc lol :))

• Like 2

This is the same seller who sold me that dodgy James 1st shilling a few months ago Stu. After a lenghthy process and him calling me the crook i received a refund. I left him negative feedback for it, only for me to check his listings a few days later and my feedback had disappeared leaving him 100% again.  He has quite a few "hammered" coins listed just now amongst other stuff. I wonder how much of it is genuine?

I see his other one never got unlisted either.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Interesting-Item-Metal-Detecting-Find/152814735199?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D7072a55585bf4ac8837c0a7d8ee04bcd%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D152814735199&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

I thought that was omega_02. Wasn't it a Charles 1st shilling also. 

There's not much we can do about the field_walker listing as it's not mentioned as a coin. It's a "detecting find"

You know as well as i do the bloody things never seen a millimetre of soil on it but the listings unfortunately not breaking any rules. Its the new trick. I expect we will be seeing much more listings the same. I've seen a replica Lizzy 1st crown today listed the same. No point in me posting it here or to CCF as its listed as an unknown metal detecting find with the usual bollocks about i know nothing about this item i just dug it up nonsense. Plenty of idiot's unfortunately queuing up to buy the rubbish after being suckered by the "detecting finds" bit. 

Edited by Ukstu

I stand corrected buddy. Yes it was Omega_2. I think we are wasting our time reporting them although its always reassuring to see the duds listed on here, keeps me from making an ass of myself again. ???

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, declan03 said:

I stand corrected buddy. Yes it was Omega_2. I think we are wasting our time reporting them although its always reassuring to see the duds listed on here, keeps me from making an ass of myself again. ???

If its listed as a coin it's worthwhile reporting it but if its an unknown metal detecting find , sold as seen etc type listing then agreed we are screwed and it's pointless reporting it.  If your ever in doubt about anything or want a second opinion Pm one of us if it's something your interested in buying. I won't be posting anything up now unless it's listed in a way we can get it removed for breaking rules. 

• Like 1

Cheers Stu. Appreciated. ???

• Like 1

There was a time when I'd actually look through field_walkers stuff and bid on it. Them days ended a few days ago when i saw that phoney sixpence. 

I emailed them saying that as well. Told them it had undermined my faith in them as it was clearly a fake and hadn't seen a day under ground. I finished my msg with a man who walks fields should know better. 

Got a few sarcastic emails back about me assuming their gender and a music video link. 

I messaged them back saying their taste in music is as bad as the "detecting finds" and they must be Claires Accessories best customer. 

Sent me another msg with a music video link but i just deleted it. I can't for the life of me understand why somebody with a good reputation for selling good stuff would tarnish their reputation for a few quid. The mind boggles , Smh. 

• Like 2

I noticed that that particular seller has a lot of properly attributed stuff.  S/he is confident enough to state stuff like 'sterling silver' 'halfpenny token' etc.  So when they are just 'detecting find' it rather rings alarm bells.  No, I don't know why for the sake of a couple of quid they wouldn't just chuck the fake in the bin, but it's a lesson that it often helps to check what else people are selling before you bid.  If it looks too good ...  maybe it is?

• Like 1

There is a nice sale on just now on Ebay, of what i hope are genuine hammered coins. I might have a bid on that that lovely Charles 1st shilling which finishes in a wee while. ???

• Like 1

Link for an opinion declan?

2 minutes ago, declan03 said:

There is a nice sale on just now on Ebay, of what i hope are genuine hammered coins. I might have a bid on that that lovely Charles 1st shilling which finishes in a wee while. ???

Good luck. Hope you get them. 

I've not bought anything in weeks now. Christmas knocking an that. I still look though lol. Compulsion and force of habit ?.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

If its listed as a coin it's worthwhile reporting it but if its an unknown metal detecting find , sold as seen etc type listing then agreed we are screwed and it's pointless reporting it.  If your ever in doubt about anything or want a second opinion Pm one of us if it's something your interested in buying. I won't be posting anything up now unless it's listed in a way we can get it removed for breaking rules. 

You will find these sellers have many accounts and roll back and forth between them. The thing that makes me laugh is. If you are going to change identity then why to god would you not change the auction spiel. Self busted morons is all they are. Lets hope one of them puts a fake sixpence in the christmas pudding and they all get e coli:angry:

• Like 3

Bang goes me saving for Christmas. I've just walloped £135 on a  Richard 1st Shortcross. Best portrait I've ever seen on a Richy and it fills a gap in my set. Only just got listed , would of been a shame to let it slip by ?

Note....this is real , Not a worst offering. ?

s-l400 (1).jpg

Edited by Ukstu
Edit
  • Like 3

Hi Tom, the price increased by too much, but judging by other coins it was still a good buy. I will just hold on and see what else comes along.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hammered-Silver-Coin-Charles-1st-Shilling-c-1638-AD/372135394285?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

5 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Hi Tom, the price increased by too much, but judging by other coins it was still a good buy. I will just hold on and see what else comes along.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hammered-Silver-Coin-Charles-1st-Shilling-c-1638-AD/372135394285?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Ah, I wondered if that was it.  Yeah, you can trust that seller, though his (her?) coins always seem to go for reasonable amounts.  I suspect they have quite a few followers so less chance of a bargain.  It's always worth keeping a record of such things I think.  Then you can refer back and compare when something else comes up you like. 

My coin of that variety?  I bought my original in 2004 and didn't manage to find one I liked better until 10 years later!  Not that they are terribly rare .. but I am awfully fussy!  Then I bought another because I liked the provenance.  Silly hobby really!  :P

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

Bang goes me saving for Christmas. I've just walloped £135 on a  Richard 1st Shortcross. Best portrait I've ever seen on a Richy and it fills a gap in my set. Only just got listed , would of been a shame to let it slip by ?

s-l400 (1).jpg

Nice one!  Though hardly an eBay's worst offering!  :P

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TomGoodheart said:

Nice one!  Though hardly an eBay's worst offering!  :P

I know. I'll post it up in latest acquisitions when it arrives. A little off centre but you can't tick all boxes with Richard. I've only got 3 other Richards and the portrait is mangled and degraded on those. The fun parts going to be classifying it precisely. Moneyers WILLELM he minted from class 2 right through to 4b for Richard . ?

Edited by Ukstu

Hi everyone, I am also sickened by these fake coins being passed off as genuine antiques. To try to do something about it, however small, I have created a blog that I will add to over time, based on the excellent knowledge gleaned here - I hope this is ok with you all. The blog is here: https://replicacoins.wordpress.com/ It needs tidying up but it is a start. If anyone wants to contribute as an author, PM me with ideas etc.  I will try to keep it free from anything libellous, I don't want to get the blog closed. 

If anyone out there with a legal background thinks there is anything I should worry about in the blog, do say?

If anyone has some good examples of replica coins do let me know?

You never know, it may save one or two people from being ripped off. I have also created an eBay guide, but I think eBay will pull the plug on that pretty soon. 

That's all for now, must get some kip!

• Like 4

Great idea!!

• Like 1