British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

1 minute ago, bagerap said:

I've frequently had fakes pulled from ebay.uk by reporting them to CCF.

Interesting, so in other words are you saying CCF as a US forum has more "pull" with eBay?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bagerap said:

Perhaps we are not worthy. a Robin Hood outfit lols

I,ve just reported Ebay to Watchdog about fraudulent coin listings being sold for fortunes, even although I know for a fact that the listing has been reported numerous times. Ebay should have a UK coin expert online watching the listings. It would not take much for them to spot the fakes and cut them off at source. Ebay would also still generate the same income or more if it was knownly cleaned up, with coins sold by genuine sellers.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bagerap said:

Yes i think you had one pulled awhile back that i posted on here using CCF.  It does work. How do we go about reporting it to CCF is there a thread we need to post to specifically. I remember looking at the forums on there and being overwhelmed by the sheer volume of active comments on there. 

58 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

Does anyone know whether there is a regulatory body that oversees fraud on the internet, or indeed conduct of internet "giants" such as eBay?

Report it via Action Fraud making sure to mention that eBay was notified and did nothing.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, declan03 said:

I,ve just reported Ebay to Watchdog about fraudulent coin listings being sold for fortunes, even although I know for a fact that the listing has been reported numerous times. Ebay should have a UK coin expert online watching the listings. It would not take much for them to spot the fakes and cut them off at source. Ebay would also still generate the same income or more if it was knownly cleaned up, with coins sold by genuine sellers.

Very good point!

• Like 2

"Interesting, so in other words are you saying CCF as a US forum has more "pull" with eBay? "

Probably. They have nearly 50,000 members, the majority of whom are American.

" How do we go about reporting it to CCF is there a thread we need to post to specifically."

Yes, and it can be complicated the first time you use it. https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=162

Looking back, I've reported 42 items. 29 were taken down.

"Ebay should have a UK coin expert online watching the listings. It would not take much for them to spot the fakes and cut them off at source. "

They used to have a fakes and counterfeits committee. Bob Gurney aka Swamperbob from CCF was one of the members. Ebay disbanded it.

Probably for being too effective.

Edited by bagerap
  • Like 2

One method that might help, would be to put up a 'spoof' advert on eBay showing pictures of known fake coins with explanations i.e. those already being advertised, with a request not to bid on the items shown. I've seen this done before and it was helpful. Could be done from a 'new' eBay account so as to avoid compromising one's own normal username. It would be interesting to see how long it would take eBay to twig and take the auction down for that non-item.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, bagerap said:

"Interesting, so in other words are you saying CCF as a US forum has more "pull" with eBay? "

Probably. They have nearly 50,000 members, the majority of whom are American.

" How do we go about reporting it to CCF is there a thread we need to post to specifically."

Yes, and it can be complicated the first time you use it. https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=162

Looking back, I've reported 42 items. 29 were taken down.

"Ebay should have a UK coin expert online watching the listings. It would not take much for them to spot the fakes and cut them off at source. "

They used to have a fakes and counterfeits committee. Bob Gurney aka Swamperbob from CCF was one of the members. Ebay disbanded it.

Probably for being too effective.

Thank you. Bookmarked that link. I do have a log in for the site. Joined about 3 years ago but been inactive for awhile. I'll definitely be trying that. 

Stu. 

21 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

One method that might help, would be to put up a 'spoof' advert on eBay showing pictures of known fake coins with explanations i.e. those already being advertised, with a request not to bid on the items shown. I've seen this done before and it was helpful. Could be done from a 'new' eBay account so as to avoid compromising one's own normal username. It would be interesting to see how long it would take eBay to twig and take the auction down for that non-item.

Nice idea. Another method would be to put up an eBay Guide with images etc. If someone wants to write one, and if they don't have an eBay account then I would be happy to put it up on my eBay account (I am too much of a newbie to write such a thing!).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, newheart said:

Nice idea. Another method would be to put up an eBay Guide with images etc. If someone wants to write one, and if they don't have an eBay account then I would be happy to put it up on my eBay account (I am too much of a newbie to write such a thing!).

I've just dug this up, interesting reading....

https://www.businesscompanion.info/en/quick-guides/distance-sales/internet-auction-sites-and-marketplaces

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

Does this not apply to ebay themselves. I think they are violating more than 1 code but definitely this one 

The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008

Prohibition of the promotion of unfair commercial practices

4.  The promotion of any unfair commercial practice by a code owner in a code of conduct is prohibited.

• Like 1

It would certainly appear so.

16 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

Does this not apply to ebay themselves. I think they are violating more than 1 code but definitely this one 

The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008

Prohibition of the promotion of unfair commercial practices

4.  The promotion of any unfair commercial practice by a code owner in a code of conduct is prohibited.

Thought they were based in Luxembourg or somewhere not subject to UK law?

2 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Thought they were based in Luxembourg or somewhere not subject to UK law?

yes that would be about right. I suppose they are protected as well by being a sovereign nation?

2 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

yes that would be about right. I suppose they are protected as well by being a sovereign nation?

I'm not entirely sure you could class ebay as a sovereign nation but they might as well be. :(

another fake slab, coin does not even match the PCGS pic 

link

1 hour ago, rpeddie said:

another fake slab, coin does not even match the PCGS pic 

link

Oh hell, that's an expensive mistake for someone. :(

• Like 1