British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

16 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Check out his 1819 Geo III "Coin" 

My Rotographic price list gives it as £10.00 in fine condition....   although it might be 'nearly fine' (being very generous)...  it has a lot of ugly pitting on it. I couldn't grade it any better than VG at best imo.   He has put it up for £20.00.   lol  - maybe some mug will buy it.

• Like 1

Looks like a contemporary forgery to me ???!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, declan03 said:

Looks like a contemporary forgery to me ???!!!

lol -maybe I got it wrong...  looks like a well worn sixpence...  I can't see why anyone would fake a well worn £10 sixpence, lol. :D

OK - He says it might be a gaming token - maybe I was wrong in thinking it was a sixpence...  Is he implying it 'might' be gold then or something then if it isn't a gaming token?  I am confused and have probably given the listing too much of my time already, lol. Let's move on. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ukstu said:

OMG!! I messaged him and got a nasty response. ....look at the description in red that he has added. We are a rude bunch!!

• Like 2

I politely messaged him saying this looked like a recent copy, and he sent a rude reply:

"When did I tell you this was a coin, as you are new to coin collecting you should be able to read my description in full, where does it say coin, I believe it doesn't. does it. You should know that before you send ugly messages out."

Lovely seller. Will report - should not be listed in Antiques!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, newheart said:

I politely messaged him saying this looked like a recent copy, and he sent a rude reply:

"When did I tell you this was a coin, as you are new to coin collecting you should be able to read my description in full, where does it say coin, I believe it doesn't. does it. You should know that before you send ugly messages out."

Lovely seller. Will report - should not be listed in Antiques!

With a response like that i have just messaged him also.

Hope he gives me a nasty reply as not in the best of moods this morning to start off with :)

He should of just taken it down instead of trying to steal money from someone :angry: :angry: .......:angry:.......:lol:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, declan03 said:

Check out his 1819 Geo III "Coin" 

It's shagged! Looks like it was run over. £20 start price. What a dreamer ?

I sent him a message late last night telling him that lizzies a copy. He's not replied to me. 

Correction.....Just checked my emails. Two msgs off him/her. One rambling nonsense about not knowing him / her or if he's got a penis between his legs and another linking to a youtube video called you don't know me by Jax

I stated in my original message a man who walks fields should know better than to be selling this rubbish. Appears to be taking offence at me Gender assigning him/her. 

Absolute idiot! But unfortunately there's nothing abusive in them that would warrant me reporting them. 

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

I messaged field_walker, the seller of the "antique" coin with the little heart shape which shows it to be a replica, asking "why list it in Antiques>Antiquities>British?". He just replied:

"Because I wanted to, who knows how old it is, do you know how old it is, there isn't a category for detecting finds is there. No more messages now have a nice day."

For the benefit of newbies, this is the replica coin showing the heart stamp:

temp.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, newheart said:

I messaged field_walker, the seller of the "antique" coin with the little heart shape which shows it to be a replica, asking "why list it in Antiques>Antiquities>British?". He just replied:

"Because I wanted to, who knows how old it is, do you know how old it is, there isn't a category for detecting finds is there. No more messages now have a nice day."

For the benefit of newbies, this is the replica coin showing the heart stamp:

temp.jpg

She / he knows full well what they are doing. They also know how to manipulate the listing to try and distance themselves from any wrongdoing. Scumbag. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ukstu said:

I've often thought some of the "detecting finds" this bloke sells look suspect or dodgy. This confirms my suspicions 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Interesting-Item-Metal-Detecting-Find/152814735199

Did you see what he wrote further down lmao. Now I can only guess who it was aimed at lol. Short version" I am not saying it is a coin" (means he knows it's not)" I don't know what it is"(you know it's fake )" And for all you nasty's out there who have messaged me" (I guess that's you guys lols).

Then further down his sales pops up an Elizabeth I HalfGroat in  Detailed description with mintmark association etc. So begs the question he can recognise Elizabeth I Halfgroat but has no idea what an Elizabeth I Penny looks like Well I assume it is . Wouldn't of been to his own advantage to just say contemporary and not make himself look like a total sleeze bag and have to write ridiculous statements of intent. Another troll with 100% FB rating. I wish some watchdog body would swoop on that place.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Rob said:

Sealed plastic from 1839? Better rewrite the science history books.

I find that most annoying I have already reported this guy on several occasions yet there he is still committing fraud and ebay turn a blind eye yet again. Surely they are by an legal statute guilty by association are they not?

13 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

I find that most annoying I have already reported this guy on several occasions yet there he is still committing fraud and ebay turn a blind eye yet again. Surely they are by an legal statute guilty by association are they not?

Does anyone know whether there is a regulatory body that oversees fraud on the internet, or indeed conduct of internet "giants" such as eBay?

With all the present furore on internet security and safety of vulnerable kids and people surely something might extend to the area we are concerned with? This is an aspect of internet "security" since innocents (and idiots) are being duped into being conned time and time again!

If there is not then perhaps we should be hassling our MPs about this.

Edited by hibernianscribe
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Rob said:

Sealed plastic from 1839? Better rewrite the science history books.

I have to say, I've come across the odd capsule my sausage-fingers couldn't get to grips with. Doesn't mean they're old.

I bet his is superglued though, just for added plausible deniability.

• Like 2

He has been selling shed loads of fakes, from halfcrowns to crowns over the last couple of weeks and raking in a fortune. Guess he is going to have a Merry Christmas. I feel sorry for genuine sellers trying to make a living. But how on earth does he manage to keep his 100% feedback, are coin collectors really that naive?

• Like 1

Just now, hibernianscribe said:

Does anyone know whether there is a regulatory body that oversees fraud on the internet, or indeed conduct of internet "giants" such as eBay?

With all the present furore on internet security and safety of vulnerable kids and people surely something might extend to the area we are concerned with? This is an aspect of internet "security" since innocents (and idiots) are being duped into being conned.

If there is not then perhaps we should be hassling our MPs about this.

Absolutely. Remember the guy selling fake kew's? Over £7k it isn't if it is a  30p object now and then. This is fraud on a huge scale. look how many we find without really looking that close. When I searched for errors I had 48k listings and that was just on errors. How many of those are fakes and intentionally so ? something has to be done. Trust pilot rating of 5/10 and this company advertises on the UK tv network. I thought they had a strict standard of trade practices to be able to advertise on the TV?

4 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

Absolutely. Remember the guy selling fake kew's? Over £7k it isn't if it is a  30p object now and then. This is fraud on a huge scale. look how many we find without really looking that close. When I searched for errors I had 48k listings and that was just on errors. How many of those are fakes and intentionally so ? something has to be done. Trust pilot rating of 5/10 and this company advertises on the UK tv network. I thought they had a strict standard of trade practices to be able to advertise on the TV?

Further to my last, I googled "trading standards internet" and one of the results produced: http://www.tradingstandardsecrime.org.uk/report-fraud/

So perhaps where we observe a persistent offender (such as the 'Kew Peddler") a report to these guys might just give him a well-deserved fright!

Edited by hibernianscribe
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

Further to my last, I googled "trading standards internet" and one of the results produced: http://www.tradingstandardsecrime.org.uk/report-fraud/

So perhaps where we observe a persistent offender (such as the 'Kew Peddler") a report to these guys might just give him a well-deserved fright1

That route is an option but would it not be better to stop it at the source and that is ebay itself. They are allowing them to flourish. I have never seen 1 item I have reported to them be withdrawn. Only time I see that is if a genuine seller has made a mistake or been misinformed themselves. Ebay has a duty to protect everyone that uses the site. After all if they are not then all they are is a money laundering outfit nothing less.  

I just looked on the breakdown of trustpilot only the original ebay.com has 5/10 rating ebay.uk has 1.2/10 from 3235 reviews. Now that tells you something.

Edited by zookeeperz

I've mentioned this before, but CCF (Coincommunityforum) have a very good track record of getting fakes taken down. See: https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=162

I'm not sure why they are so successful, probably because of their very high membership and the fact that they are U.S. based.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bagerap said:

I've mentioned this before, but CCF (Coincommunityforum) have a very good track record of getting fakes taken down. See: https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=162

I'm not sure why they are so successful, probably because of their very high membership and the fact that they are U.S. based.

Yes from the main site in the US. But they won't get any joy from ebay uk . I don't think they give a rats tbh. If it doesn't affect USA they aint bothered. :(

11 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

That route is an option but would it not be better to stop it at the source and that is ebay itself. They are allowing them to flourish. I have never seen 1 item I have reported to them be withdrawn. Only time I see that is if a genuine seller has made a mistake or been misinformed themselves. Ebay has a duty to protect everyone that uses the site. After all if they are not then all they are is a money laundering outfit nothing less.  

I just looked on the breakdown of trustpilot only the original ebay.com has 5/10 rating ebay.uk has 1.2/10 from 3235 reviews. Now that tells you something.

It's precisely because Ebay are so frigging useless in this (motivated no doubt, by self interest) that I reckon some regulatory or policing authority, with powers, needs to be involved. Apart from a perceived "duty of care" to customers which is much more tenuous to enforce upon eBay and easier for them to wriggle out of, if there is perceived complicity in fraud because of their inaction, and a third-party authority warns them because of this, then maybe they might start to be effective in this respect.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, from my own experience, trading standards and action fraud, look at whether you have suffered a detriment as the result of the act.  so you'd have to have purchased something from these dealers,  and then prove you have suffered a financial loss.  Now looking at these ebay sales, if they state that they don't know what it is, and you buy what you see etc, then that's exactly what you've bought, an unknown item at a cost you agreed to pay.  If they describe the item as genuine, and you buy it believing it is as so, then you have a case, if it's not worth what you bought it for.  It is still difficult to prove fraud on it, and you'll be pointed to the dispute process where you can get your money back (if you can prove it). As posters on here have highlighted, these people are smart and don't make any claims to authenticity -  it's morally wrong... buyer beware 

• Like 2

I've frequently had fakes pulled from ebay.uk by reporting them to CCF.

• Like 1