British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

They must all be nuts, he clearly states it's a copy, and his pretty bad photos clearly show "copy".

Lols love it it is a "rare Copy" of a copy absolute gem . That has tickled me :)

I've just bought a Victorian coin cabinet on eBay but am now having second thoughts whether it is complete. Is there a storage drawer or a couple of trays missing in view of the gap at the top of the trays shown in the photographs. The seller is being very reasonable and is holding off from despatching the item until I decide. Does anyone have any suggestions about this? Thanks Frank

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERB-ANTIQUE-MAHOGANY-COIN-COLLECTORS-CABINET-1900-10-TRAYS-HOLDS-405-COINS/372152725822?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Coin Cabinet.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

Lls love it it is a "rare Copy" of a copy absolute gem . That has tickled me :)

He has the cheek to have another listed .

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

I've just bought a Victorian coin cabinet on eBay but am now having second thoughts whether it is complete. Is there a storage drawer or a couple of trays missing in view of the gap at the top of the trays shown in the photographs. The seller is being very reasonable and is holding off from despatching the item until I decide. Does anyone have any suggestions about this? Thanks Frank

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERB-ANTIQUE-MAHOGANY-COIN-COLLECTORS-CABINET-1900-10-TRAYS-HOLDS-405-COINS/372152725822?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Coin Cabinet.jpg

It does look like there should be something at the top - perhaps a storage drawer as you suggest. It looks like a nice cabinet though - would it be worth taking it anyway and having something made to fill the gap? You could then customise it to suit. :)

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

2 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

Coin Cabinet.jpg

It does look like there should be something at the top - perhaps a storage drawer as you suggest. It looks like a nice cabinet though - would it be worth taking it anyway and having something made to fill the gap? You could then customise it to suit. :)

Even if there is a couple of drawers missing it's still a really nice example and as Mr B says you can always get a couple of drawers made to your requirements

• Like 1

4 hours ago, will1976 said:

Even if there is a couple of drawers missing it's still a really nice example and as Mr B says you can always get a couple of drawers made to your requirements

I saw one like this not sure if it is exactly the same but looks like it could be missing 2 trays?

coincab.jpg

1 hour ago, declan03 said:

Shocking . Well more fool the nuggets that bid on modern replica's. It isn't as if there is no images on the site to compare with all they needed to do was this

1845-tile.jpg

• Like 1

Sad :( i only wish more people would come on this forum before spending there money.

Some will stop collecting when they find out that some are crap and may of spent a good few quid.

The sellers though really get on my nerves with there blatant bol"""ks.

• Like 4

All the more reason to research and familiarise yourself with coins and replicas. I don't really collect this type of coinage but i can spot that a mile off. You'd think anybody parting with that kind of money for a coin would know their stuff.  ?

• Like 1

For someone who rakes about grandads house looking for coins...and knows nothing about coins...he has suddenly more listings with what type of ccondition he thinks they are in. I wouldn't touch any of them with a bargepole. His 89/90 crown coins look to have 2 I's in Victoria. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, declan03 said:

For someone who rakes about grandads house looking for coins...and knows nothing about coins...he has suddenly more listings with what type of ccondition he thinks they are in. I wouldn't touch any of them with a bargepole. His 89/90 crown coins look to have 2 I's in Victoria. 

Yes even his towing eye is probably snide :lol:

• Like 3

Worth a tenner....whats wrong with it? ?

22 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Worth a tenner....whats wrong with it? ?

It has awful acne. the dots (device?) in the background of the upper right quadrant of the shield are not uniform. They should be considerably less jumbled.

example from somewhere...

great-britain-1887-1s-proof.jpg

12 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

It has awful acne. the dots (device?) in the background of the upper right quadrant of the shield are not uniform. They should be considerably less jumbled.

example from somewhere...

great-britain-1887-1s-proof.jpg

This one here appears to be the exception to the rule (is it a modern copy with the dots in lines?). Every single one I have had in the past 10 years has been the more densely packed and somewhat random variety. I suggest you PM 1887Jubilee to get a handle on what should be - he will know for certain.

To my mind the colour and surfaces looks horribly uniform, which is a put off for a start. It looks like it was made yesterday.

Edited by Rob

MS65 example

https://images.pcgs.com/TrueView/33147145_Large.jpg

There are many many more, I found nearly every one to be "mostly accurate" lines of dots, and the new shiny looking ones on ebay going for 9.99+ BIN all seem to be the acne version.

What started me thinking about it is that J.E.B on trunc JH 1887's should not be the "norm" and I certainly wouldn't expect them to be the predominent variety availabe having GEF or better.

The very bottom of the belt buckle looks different ???. 

You are comparing shillings and sixpences.  The dots are more random on the sixpences and in lines on the shillings.

I agree with Rob, that shilling looks like it was struck yesterday.

Nick, you're 100% correct.

I've spent all afternooon looking at shillings, and this sixpence has come up in my search results, and I've gone and got the hump with an innocent coin!

Apologies all. normal service will now be resumed.

FFS, there are some idiots on EBay, and we see this sort of thing time and time again!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/rare-minting-mistake-error-1971-new-penny-one-pence-in-1971/182944146337?hash=item2a985223a1:g:iqwAAOSwyP5aJG4i

How do they ever work out how to switch their computers on?

Jerry

• Like 1