British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

14 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Talking of newbie collectors....

What I do find slightly concerning is the increasing number of reproduction bun pennies, of all different dates, including 1869 and 1875H, the real ones of which are rare. They all look uncirculated, although often with a horrible rainbow toning, and they are obviously fake, which anyone with experience can tell at a glance.

Although they are flagged up as "reproduction gap fillers" and the like, what worries me is that eventually someone is going to try passing some off as real, which newbie collectors could fall for, believing thy are getting a bargain.      

Yup that is my gut feeling. Some of these repro's to the untrained eye look very convincing . Already seen one guy earn £7k+ off of fake kew's.

• Like 1

Interesting sale today. Russian buyer for delivery to Omsk. Uses a UK Paypal a/c in someone else's name. Can't get a response from the p/pal a/c holder so I reluctantly try to sort it out through p/pal customer service.

India has a wealth of people speaking good, comprehensible English. The one I had must be the daughter of the call centre boss. 50 times round the same few phrases with no information being imparted. Can't help me, can't inform the account holder for security reasons?

So if you live in Newport Gwent and you haven't  bought an £80 jeton, have a look at your account. You may just find out that you have.

In fact I've put the transaction on hold until further notice.

• Like 1

About security reasons that is total BS. A buyer of mine wanted to ask me a question and Ebay when ebay and paypal were the same entity gave the bloke my home phone number. I went absolutely beserk. I told them my number is private any contact is via email or through the site Q&A. How dare they give my personal details to some muppet living in another time zone ringing me a 3 am to ask if the coin has C.O.A. When in the bloody picture it was sitting on the C.O.A.  They are worse than useless

2 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

Man you'd have to be a serious road trip with copious amounts of illicit drugs to even remotely believe that was a geniune coin. That's so bad. ?

2 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

His business address made me smile ....22 Park lane London :o

A hotel worker? You would need to top up your wages somehow in Central London.

The address has been used for a while now, so can't see it being a paying resident.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob said:

A hotel worker? You would need to top up your wages somehow in Central London.

The address has been used for a while now, so can't see it being a paying resident.

Actually guys, the business address could be legit since if you register a business through one of the company formation companies online you get the option to use one of their registered addresses for probably a couple of hundred a year and in order to attract the punters some of these are very prestigious sounding. They probably have thousands of businesses using the same address so it is very lucrative and they act as a mail forwarder for mail from Companies House - all for a fee of course. I had a Regent Street one when I owned a British registered company while I was based in Dubai. 

5 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

Actually guys, the business address could be legit since if you register a business through one of the company formation companies online you get the option to use one of their registered addresses for probably a couple of hundred a year and in order to attract the punters some of these are very prestigious sounding. They probably have thousands of businesses using the same address so it is very lucrative and they act as a mail forwarder for mail from Companies House - all for a fee of course. I had a Regent Street one when I owned a British registered company while I was based in Dubai. 

Mind you, the Hilton Hotel bit does rather undermine what I have said above so I'd assume this one isn't legit. The email address is rather thought-provoking as well. 

Not the Hilton Hotel, but Moussaieff, Hilton. Moussaieff are very high end jewellers with boutiques in London, Switzerland and interestingly, Hong Kong. So we have someone with a Romanian name, flogging tat from Hong Kong and having a connection to a biiiiiiig jewellers. Odd.

38 minutes ago, bagerap said:

Not the Hilton Hotel, but Moussaieff, Hilton. Moussaieff are very high end jewellers with boutiques in London, Switzerland and interestingly, Hong Kong. So we have someone with a Romanian name, flogging tat from Hong Kong and having a connection to a biiiiiiig jewellers. Odd.

Yes, very odd - also the email address certainly does not indicate someone with such connections.

In the seller's shop, the many other fakes for sale are all similarly described with absolutely no reference to reproduction anywhere as far as I can see. This is a clear case where eBay should force the seller to be honest regarding the descriptions.  

I've just noticed that in Item Specifics, he lists the brand as SexeMara, which links to a shop on aliexpress.

25 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

In the seller's shop, the many other fakes for sale are all similarly described with absolutely no reference to reproduction anywhere as far as I can see. This is a clear case where eBay should force the seller to be honest regarding the descriptions.  

Looking at the shop link there is a real variety of items on sale not just coins, maybe he's hired a suite at the Hilton to store the stock.  But back to coin related, I like the description 'EDWARDVS' given to this item and no mention of a copy/reproduction...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KING-EDWARDVS-VII-1902-Five-Pounds-St-George-and-dragon-/162730014601

I'm almost tempted getting one to see how it looks and feels in hand, as I'll never be able to afford a real one!  but I'm going to save my money towards genuine coins.

44 minutes ago, sabrejv said:

Looking at the shop link there is a real variety of items on sale not just coins, maybe he's hired a suite at the Hilton to store the stock.  But back to coin related, I like the description 'EDWARDVS' given to this item and no mention of a copy/reproduction...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KING-EDWARDVS-VII-1902-Five-Pounds-St-George-and-dragon-/162730014601

I'm almost tempted getting one to see how it looks and feels in hand, as I'll never be able to afford a real one!  but I'm going to save my money towards genuine coins.

I reported the creep. Only for the fact when I saw the original adv there was nothing whatsoever in the descriptions that these were copies repro's or just plain fakes. He described them as an auctioneer would with all the legend wording. Who would bother to do that with fake coins. It is purely an advert to deceive so I  pressed the  big red buzzer (you're outta here) :)

3 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

I reported the creep. Only for the fact when I saw the original adv there was nothing whatsoever in the descriptions that these were copies repro's or just plain fakes. He described them as an auctioneer would with all the legend wording. Who would bother to do that with fake coins. It is purely an advert to deceive so I  pressed the  big red buzzer (you're outta here) :)

Entirely my sentiments as well - this is a blatant example of deception. I reported him as well. To make eBay take note of this, perhaps each of us should report each eBay listed item in his shop - or may be that would just be a waste of time if eBay are just going ignore the reports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hibernianscribe said:

Entirely my sentiments as well - this is a blatant example of deception. I reported him as well. To make eBay take note of this, perhaps each of us should report each eBay listed item in his shop - or may be that would just be a waste of time if eBay are just going ignore the reports.

I've reported 18 of these items from this seller and am now hoping eBay will do something about this menace!                                         

1 hour ago, Ukstu said:

Have reported this and sent the seller a 'conscience' message. Lets see what happens! 

• Like 1

I think he is just a second teir seller and when you click to buy he would get a small commission , the buyer would automatticaly deal with the """" seller in hong kong.

He does nothing else apart from list on there behalf with a uk account.

I would think there are loads of chinese / hong kong items sold this way.

Maybe i am wrong but have heard of this before ?.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

I think he is just a second teir seller and when you click to buy he would get a small commission , the buyer would automatticaly deal with the """" seller in hong kong.

He does nothing else apart from list on there behalf with a uk account.

I would think there are loads of chinese / hong kong items sold this way.

Maybe i am wrong but have heard of this before ?.

Thats happened to me a few times. I find it annoying. I look at feedback now on sellers i am dubious about as usually you'll see other people complaining about items coming from china a month after ordering it and no mention of it being based in china in the listing or location. 

• Like 1

We get found in grand dads belongings quite often or found in shed or garden but this is the new lie. Found under the floor boards. Wow do they all live in 14th century hamlets?

Bloody terrible copy as well ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTIQUE-SILVER-SHORT-CROSS-PENNY-FORMERLY-THE-PROPERTY-OF-JOHN-BRAND-R-N-S/322892100311

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

Have reported this and sent the seller a 'conscience' message. Lets see what happens! 

I messaged him also. He's said he's pulling it. Result ! ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ukstu said:

We get found in grand dads belongings quite often or found in shed or garden but this is the new lie. Found under the floor boards. Wow do they all live in 14th century hamlets?

Bloody terrible copy as well ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTIQUE-SILVER-SHORT-CROSS-PENNY-FORMERLY-THE-PROPERTY-OF-JOHN-BRAND-R-N-S/322892100311

I think we can safely say the description is a lie. I don't think Mr Brand would appreciate being linked to that one.

• Like 2

I thought that. It annoys me when these fraudsters name drop to try and strengthen a lie. Scumbags. Just noticed as well £10 postage. It's safe to say it won't be selling for the time being with a price like that. Hopefully other people who see it will report it and it will get removed. 

• Like 1