British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

16 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Why bid up to this price when there are about a dozen cheaper coins on BIN prices? Strange place ebay!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Kew-Gardens-50P-Coin/192358112129?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

You know I am toying with the idea of buying the year set for £100 and knocking it back out. Think there will still be some mileage in it still ?

1 hour ago, zookeeperz said:

You know I am toying with the idea of buying the year set for £100 and knocking it back out. Think there will still be some mileage in it still ?

Year set?

2 hours ago, declan03 said:

Year set?

2009 BU set  (yes I know before you say it :)) But Kew is Kew so the one in the set must also be rare right? errrm  in a word not even close lol.

I have spent hours trying to put right the myth that all things Kew are rare. Pleading with folk not to waste their money on inflated prices because of fake news. Granted the circulation issue will be scarcer now as most are in the nation's draw at home But 20-30 years down the line when they surface what will they be worth? I would almost guarantee nowhere near what they are now. Anything Kew outside of the circulation issue isn't rare or even scarce compared to it's other 50 pence counterparts as in BU sets, Silver Proofs and Piedfort proofs but the prices for these coins gain momentum along side the circulation issues. Time will bear out that all this buying of non rare sets and proofs will be a bad investment. Purely because there are so many still out there and will be for a long long time. I bought the scouts silver proof piedfort 50 pence for £35 the 2nd lowest mintage of the 50 p piedforts only the bugle  blow 50p is scarcer and that has a high value. Why? Again fake news for a coin nobody liked. yet look at the difference in the prices of the Kew selling x5 that price. Logic goes out the window lol.

Edited by zookeeperz
  • Like 1

Yes  i did notice, with a bit of BBC news, that the £1 capital cities set shot up to nearly  £40 overnight. Calmed down again after a couple of days. I keep trying to stay away from Kews but cannot help myself if its going cheap enough. I remember grudging £20 for them a couple of years ago. I,ve 3 Kews just now bought betwee £70 & £75. When ebay have their  £1 selling fee on i will list them at £90 each & postage.  ???

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Yes  i did notice, with a bit of BBC news, that the £1 capital cities set shot up to nearly  £40 overnight. Calmed down again after a couple of days. I keep trying to stay away from Kews but cannot help myself if its going cheap enough. I remember grudging £20 for them a couple of years ago. I,ve 3 Kews just now bought betwee £70 & £75. When ebay have their  £1 selling fee on i will list them at £90 each & postage.  ???

They are still going for over £100 and the BU £175 on some bloody mind boggling.:rolleyes::lol:

• Like 1

This  kind of follows on from the LCA coin that is way over graded And also gives solid doubt as to the intentions of a company that is a grader and an auctioneer and a selling outlet. Now if this isn't a cause for concern over conflict of interest or stoking the pot for your own profit I don't know what is. We know our coins when sent to CGS are very much under graded yet some coins you see for sale look vastly over graded. Coincidence? Well I don't believe in coincidence when you see coins that just don't warrant the grades given by a so called reputable grading house. Not unless they are their own self sourced raw's that are being slabbed with wishful thinking grades to maximise profit. If you look long enough it is glaringly obvious something fishy is going on. This coin is a perfect example of  grading for profit. I cannot see that they would grade that coin 65 unless they owned it to begin with?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-KEY-DATE-1925-FLORIN-SLABBED-CGS-65-BRITISH-SILVER-COIN-FROM-GEORGE-V/201845918225

• Like 1

Blimey o.O thats one of the pitfalls of being a newbie round here.. figuring out who isn't a rogue on ebay :)

I'll post my apologies now then, Sorry John!

(oh and if I hadn't just done 300 on a stater, I'd have had this!)

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist
Grovvelling more!

Looks OK to me but a bit too heavy on the price.

John is an ex cop and like able internet bud.He says as he sees it.He fishes,smokes cuban cigars and likes football....welll Newcastle. 

• Like 1

Both reported. ?

There's just so many of them, reported too

Both reported as well - this is an epidemic!

Haha, everyone looking for a Christmas bonus!! Reported too.?

Informed one of the sellers and the listing has ended.

• Like 1

Yes, I messaged both as well. Got a polite answer from the 'monkey-hanger' guy thanking me for letting him know and saying he'll amend the listing. Nothing back so far from the other.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with the sale. Seller calls it as it is reproduction florin but how good is that copy? I can see these being snapped up and farmed out by the dodge pots

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Queen-Victoria-Florin-reproduction/232551477299

2 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

Yes, I messaged both as well. Got a polite answer from the 'monkey-hanger' guy thanking me for letting him know and saying he'll amend the listing. Nothing back so far from the other.

Monkey Hanger lol. I just looked and saw he was based in Hartlepool and the penny dropped ?

1 hour ago, zookeeperz said:

Nothing wrong with the sale. Seller calls it as it is reproduction florin but how good is that copy? I can see these being snapped up and farmed out by the dodge pots

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Queen-Victoria-Florin-reproduction/232551477299

It's a well known, good quality fake.  Plenty of info in the fakes section of the forum.

49 minutes ago, Nick said:

It's a well known, good quality fake.  Plenty of info in the fakes section of the forum.

Yes I know that but there are scores of newbie collectors who wouldn't notice. Surely the time has come if it isn't authentic it must say so or it cannot be sold? Wouldn't take ebay 30 secs to amend their ever growing rules and regulations. They are quick enough to change policy if it means they earn more out of it. :)

8 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

Yes I know that but there are scores of newbie collectors who wouldn't notice. Surely the time has come if it isn't authentic it must say so or it cannot be sold? Wouldn't take ebay 30 secs to amend their ever growing rules and regulations. They are quick enough to change policy if it means they earn more out of it. :)

Talking of newbie collectors....

What I do find slightly concerning is the increasing number of reproduction bun pennies, of all different dates, including 1869 and 1875H, the real ones of which are rare. They all look uncirculated, although often with a horrible rainbow toning, and they are obviously fake, which anyone with experience can tell at a glance.

Although they are flagged up as "reproduction gap fillers" and the like, what worries me is that eventually someone is going to try passing some off as real, which newbie collectors could fall for, believing thy are getting a bargain.      

• Like 1