British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

8 hours ago, Ukstu said:

I got caught out today on the old switcheroo via eBay. Manor coins. Sent me a totally different grade coin to the one he listed. He's agreed a full refund. Bloody annoying though as I've got to go out and buy a padded envelope now and trek upto the PO to send it. The ups n downs of eBay!

I always look for "the coin you see is the coin you get" mantra. I know it's not always infallible, but it does usually prove to be the case. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I always look for "the coin you see is the coin you get" mantra. I know it's not always infallible, but it does usually prove to be the case. 

I know. It didn't say that unfortunately but i believe it to be a genuine mistake. I think he's listed the wrong coin under the wrong listing. He must have two of the same coin as the one he advertised and the one i received were definitely different coins in respect of grades i mean as the pictures prove. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ukstu said:

I know. It didn't say that unfortunately but i believe it to be a genuine mistake. I think he's listed the wrong coin under the wrong listing. He must have two of the same coin as the one he advertised and the one i received were definitely different coins in respect of grades i mean as the pictures prove. 

If he's anything like me. I always mislay the bloody thing when it sells. Sits right in front of me the rest of the time. Only when I need to post it does it go MIA lol. That's my Mantra.

" The coin in the picture is the exact same coin you will receive"  Coz I Is an honest bloke aint I lol.:ph34r:

• Like 2

"If he's anything like me. I always mislay the bloody thing when it sells"

So, so many times I've done that. The one that rankles most is when Olympic 50p mania was at its highest I had three bank bags of the "Offside Rule" which was highly sought after. All three bags sell on the same weekend for a price I'm almost ashamed to admit (OK, £137) and then I couldn't find the bloody things. Refunded everyone and then spotted the bags 4 days later at exact eye level on my roll top desk. Didn't do half that money next time out.

And my wife still refers to my desk as the money skip.

• Like 3

I,ve lost count of the times i,ve misplaced a coin, usually a Monday morning. Stress followed by panic attacks then that sick feeling. Only for it to turn up in the coin tray i,ve already checked twice!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, declan03 said:

I,ve lost count of the times i,ve misplaced a coin, usually a Monday morning. Stress followed by panic attacks then that sick feeling. Only for it to turn up in the coin tray i,ve already checked twice!!

Rule of thumb never put anything away in a safe place. Because as sure as the sun rises and sets every day that safe place will be that safe you won't even know where it is :)

• Like 1

Never a truer word spoken!! ????

• Like 1

Dropping small copper coins on a heavily patterned carpets, is where I hide mine :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, davidrj said:

Dropping small copper coins on a heavily patterned carpets, is where I hide mine :)

I've done that trick as well. They're an absolute sod to find, and never in the place you think they've rolled to. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

Rule of thumb never put anything away in a safe place. Because as sure as the sun rises and sets every day that safe place will be that safe you won't even know where it is :)

Spot on. I put my spare house keys in a safe place about 3 years ago. So safe I've forgotten were I put them. Thankfully I've not needed them.....yet! I am sure I've done the same with other now long forgotten items. I blame the 90s ?

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ukstu said:

Spot on. I put my spare house keys in a safe place about 3 years ago. So safe I've forgotten were I put them. Thankfully I've not needed them.....yet! I am sure I've done the same with other now long forgotten items. I blame the 90s ?

My expired passport is in the same place:P

2 hours ago, Ukstu said:

I have drawer as a safe place for an accumulation of things deemed at some point to be important, comprises keys for unknown locks, odd brackets and screws, unrecognisable things that must belong to something. The true purpose of most are long forgotten, but they stay there just in case. The drawer of course never contains the item I am looking for. :) 

• Like 2

Sometime in the 60s my father put some money in a safe place before we went on holiday. Flash forward 30 years and I gutted the house for refurbishment before selling.

Still no safe place found. Worrying thing is that he was a coin dealer. Is it genetic?

• Like 2

The joy of finding you're not the only one. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, declan03 said:

£36 for that lot omg and there is a big difference between Silver and cupro the nugget :)  Buyer deserves no sympathy either lol

3 hours ago, declan03 said:

Well 2 alarm bells on auto ring would steer me away everytime. Blurred picture and no obverse picture as that would show it either real or fake. I would side with the later :) 

Look at this I might be highly critical but there is no way in a month of sundays that this 1930 Half crown  coin would  grade MS-64 > Contact marks are one thing but being hit by an asteroid storm is another:D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1930-Halfcrown-UNC-NGC-MS64-Key-Date/202104282479

Edited by zookeeperz

31 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

Look at this I might be highly critical but there is no way in a month of sundays that this 1930 Half crown  coin would  grade MS-64 > Contact marks are one thing but being hit by an asteroid storm is another:D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1930-Halfcrown-UNC-NGC-MS64-Key-Date/202104282479

Rare date in high grade, so lenience with the grading? Surely not.

5 minutes ago, Rob said:

Rare date in high grade, so lenience with the grading? Surely not.

Oh yes I forgot that old chestnut  but here's the thing same can be said but the opposite for this 1927 proof 63. If that is Proof 63 it has to be better that coin from the pic granted is flawless So it must be better. I think they don't even look at half the coins and just give it grade. As if to say seen 1 seen them all and after all it isn't a US coin?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1927-UK-Great-Britain-Silver-Crown-George-V-Proof-Coin-NGC-PF-63-Rare-15k-Minted/382169190869

2 hours ago, declan03 said:

Not really Dec.

Common, second busts. Nowhere near VF. Holed. I wouldn't have given £25 for it.

Thanks Michael. I use Tony Claytons page for prices. He has it at £260 in fine condition. Maybe not the best place to compare prices then.

27 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Thanks Michael. I use Tony Claytons page for prices. He has it at £260 in fine condition. Maybe not the best place to compare prices then.

Just had a look. An erroneous listing I think.