British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

6 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

By knowingly attempting to sell a likeness of a hypothetical item a seller is committing an equal sin to one who knowingly tries to sell a fake item. Both are deception! 

I wouldn't have an issue if it was described as a fantasy, but it isn't.

22 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

I wouldn't have an issue if it was described as a fantasy, but it isn't.

I agree entirely.

Zookeeperz, here's about the best image you'll find. I still can't make my mind up on yours.

rupee 2.jpg

2 hours ago, bagerap said:

Zookeeperz, here's about the best image you'll find. I still can't make my mind up on yours.

rupee 2.jpg

I still think the image is blurred for a reason. This also has good sharp legend. The M is completely different on the bright one. Maybe this has been dipped/etched to destruction given the lettering is uniformly narrower. Obviously can't say if not in hand.

2 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

You know what I am tempted to buy and it probably has no monetary value? Trench art but not the cruddy rough hat etched on and a moustache lol. The proper ones with total transformations or the ones with skeleton faces. I am a great admirer of talent esp something I think is almost close to genius. Esp from someone who was graded D+ on a stickman drawing lol :)

Edited by zookeeperz

3 hours ago, bagerap said:

rupee 2.jpg

I am not so worried about the lettering they came in both styles large and narrow and if you can without doing your eyes any damage see the split serifs on the lettering showing it's double struck of course it could be blur. What I didn't like was the rim thickness and the teeth blending into the rim. They always spell danger signs for me. But I keep coming back to the head and I cannot fault the hair style or it's general look apart from he doesn't have a pig nose. That also could of been done to make him look less like a fugly :). Unfortunately this is my world error and variety hunting sometimes means taking that leap of faith. A lot of looks like this and could be that are just that in reality. But for every 9 that are nothing that 1 that is what you think you saw it makes up for all the disappointments :) and of course you learn a little more. What a superb coin by the way. About as top draw as your going to see. Although I did see a Victoria rupee PL67 jesus it's stunning but £27,000 a little out of my price range 

Edited by zookeeperz

The script below ONE RUPEE is, I believe, Persian. Indian friends tell me that it's a very good place to check for forgery as very few Indians can write Persian accurately.

7 hours ago, bagerap said:

The script below ONE RUPEE is, I believe, Persian. Indian friends tell me that it's a very good place to check for forgery as very few Indians can write Persian accurately.

I have made the call and it's a jeckel IMO too many discrepancies  marked on the pictures. The head they used is not from a rupee imo the hair at the back is swept forwards with a wavy line  about an inch above the ear. The script as you mentioned is also suspect there is no angular kink that gives that boomerang shape just a curved line and it is dotted. The line tip that points just past the right edge of the E upright is too far past almost half the bottom serif. Rims are way too thick. Suspect rim teeth Legend style. different fonts and pointings. I am sure I I spent some time I could find many more but what I have seen is more than enough to call it a copy. Scarey thing is it will fool a lot of people. It will I hope ultimately go down the road of unless it is guaranteed authentic then you cannot sell it. I am all for that . Something has to give as this isn't just isolated cases its becoming the norm. Surely in part the industry has a responsibility and so does the online crooks ebay and alike that lets this garbage on the site to start with. Eventually it will hurt sales in a big way. More so for raw coins further pushing people towards coffin coins

1835obv-tile.jpg

As this is an ebay thread it all goes back to if you want something decent / valuable buy it from a dealer.You will eventually come unstuck and any saving you may make on a few will soon be wiped out on the bad one.Ebay serves a purpose and is good for cheap varieties etc but not high value,i use it almost daily ,a few days ago i bought a couple of pennies for £1 without getting out of the chair and does not cost anything to look :)

Edited by PWA 1967

11 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

As this is an ebay thread it all goes back to if you want something decent / valuable buy it from a dealer.You will eventually come unstuck and any saving you may make on a few will soon be wiped out on the bad one.Ebay serves a purpose and is good for cheap varieties etc but not high value,i use it almost daily , couple of days ago i bought a couple of pennies for £1 without getting out of the chair and does not cost anything to look :)

I agree. As you say, it would depend on the type of coins being purchased plus the knowledge and caution of the buyer. Personally, I think eBay is the most interesting and educational market to shop in! Buying from a dealer is like buying groceries - no emotional attachment and little challenge. 

Edited by newheart

The thing with a dealer is they talk to you and I have learned more from dealers than anything else as they answer questions.

Not sure what you mean by little challenge as we are buying a coin does it matter were it comes from if its what you want......maybe if you open the envelope and find out its RT.

I mentioned there is nothing wrong with ebay and wish you luck :)

I have bought an unrecognised proof milled edge 1838 sovereign off eBay for less than 10% what it eventually went for when I resold it.....One of the best coins I ever got.

• Like 2

Just now, VickySilver said:

I have bought an unrecognised proof milled edge 1838 sovereign off eBay for less than 10% what it eventually went for when I resold it.....One of the best coins I ever got.

I had been thinking that we should have an "ebay's best offerings" thread. It's not all bad. :)

• Like 4

eBay is great. Some of my best coins have come via eBay. You can't beat the feeling you get when you pick up an unresearched hammered at a fraction of its cost because it was incorrectly listed and poorly investigated. I've had some that still had soil on them fresh out the ground when they arrived. Hurrah for eBay ?

• Like 3

I too have had a few bargains off the bay with regard to unofficial farthings, all comes down to the description and if your prepared to trawl through the crap. A favourite description seems to be 'Victoria token' which can mean any number of things!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Not sure what you mean by little challenge as we are buying a coin does it matter were it comes from if its what you want.

Hi PWA, If you buy from a dealer the coin has most probably already been identified and graded, and the risk is lower. On eBay there is a lot of unknowns and greater risk but this means you need to do more research, which I enjoy. btw what is "RT"?

Edited by newheart
typo

27 minutes ago, will1976 said:

I too have had a few bargains off the bay with regard to unofficial farthings, all comes down to the description and if your prepared to trawl through the crap. A favourite description seems to be 'Victoria token' which can mean any number of things!

Same here Will. I love taking a risk on a blurry token photo - you can get some real crackers! 

11 minutes ago, newheart said:

Same here Will. I love taking a risk on a blurry token photo - you can get some real crackers! 

Adds to the fun as long as you keep your expectations low! lol :lol:

2 minutes ago, will1976 said:

Adds to the fun as long as you keep your expectations low! lol :lol:

LOL yes - always assume the worst! :D

1 hour ago, newheart said:

LOL yes - always assume the worst! :D

Was how I found my 1934 missing waves Penny That was just awesome AEF cost me £2 .

:)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Well that's no issue. Send it back at their expense, not as described. Leave appropriate feedback.

• Like 2

Yes, thats what i will do. Although i would rather have had the shilling. 

2 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Well that's no issue. Send it back at their expense, not as described. Leave appropriate feedback.

Different coin the scammer lol