British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EAST-INDIA-COMPANY-1840-ONE-RUPEE-BETTER-DATE-NO-RESERVE-W655/362141511225 What you think?  A member of everything known to man 129k sales and selling this junk. That just hits my panic button. 

12 hours ago, secret santa said:

This is the penny that was sold by Heritage last year for £150K - this guy needs reporting !!!

He's used the same image as this Daily Mail article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1302005/1933-penny-coin-valued-80k-offered-eBay-suddenly-withdrawn.html

I agree, this is so blatant and must be reported, not that eBay will take any notice!

22 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

He's used the same image as this Daily Mail article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1302005/1933-penny-coin-valued-80k-offered-eBay-suddenly-withdrawn.html

I agree, this is so blatant and must be reported, not that eBay will take any notice!

I've just reported it but since he's using a picture of a genuine coin, somehow the description pertaining to replica coins doesn't fit.

I've also sent the scrote a message asking him why he's used an existing image. If he bothers to reply it'll be interesting what angle he takes. 

Edited by hibernianscribe

Most of the silver is cleaned. The surfaces are all wrong on all bar the low grade milled and most of the hammered. The Calais halfgroat and the Roman look too bright too.

• Like 1

I've asked the seller if it's the one I will receive but he hasn't got back to me yet. Can't imagine why. :rolleyes:

44 minutes ago, mick1271 said:

I have reported it as a fraudulent listing 

You only have to type in rare error and it is frightening how many there are . Or I should say are not errors at all just scammer bait. Perhaps they should change the name to Ebait lol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

I've asked the seller if it's the one I will receive but he hasn't got back to me yet. Can't imagine why. :rolleyes:

I'm still waiting as well after I asked him about the picture. Don't think we'll hear anything! 

He could do with buying Chris’s new book, for a bit of practice

The Coin Colouring Book

• Like 2

4 hours ago, declan03 said:

Silly. It's all that is wrong with eBay, or at least the people who buy there.

Rhetorical question, but how can some thing blatantly not as described reach £12.50, when a halfcrown in the same grade sells for melt, and a couple of other things sell for a third of melt? Answer, on a rare foray onto ebay via the wife's account, they weren't mis-described. The other things that didn't sell for below melt will go in the pot tomorrow.

There has to be too much material listed to achieve a reasonable price by listing as an auction.

• Like 1

Maybe you need to use ebay like the modern generation .. chance a buy it now with silly money, plenty of those go through every week judging by the "sold" and "completed" listings!

9 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Maybe you need to use ebay like the modern generation .. chance a buy it now with silly money, plenty of those go through every week judging by the "sold" and "completed" listings!

It's easier to throw them away. Last year I listed nearly 2kg of pennies with an 1871 and a few more 1860s deliberately placed on top - which didn't sell, probably because I started it at a tenner and not the obligatory 99p. Took the 1871 out and it sold for over a tenner as a stand alone listing. Took the rest down to the scrapper when I next passed him. Just over 35kg of bronze pennies and halfpennies have gone that way in the past year because it isn't worth the hassle of listing (& relisting). I'd lose the will to live if ebay was the only outlet.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rob said:

It's easier to throw them away. Last year I listed nearly 2kg of pennies with an 1871 and a few more 1860s deliberately placed on top - which didn't sell, probably because I started it at a tenner and not the obligatory 99p. Took the 1871 out and it sold for over a tenner as a stand alone listing. Took the rest down to the scrapper when I next passed him. Just over 35kg of bronze pennies and halfpennies have gone that way in the past year because it isn't worth the hassle of listing (& relisting). I'd lose the will to live if ebay was the only outlet.

yup totally agree the scammers have scared off buyers from ebay. Nobody knows where they stand causing the effect of everyone wanting something for nothing. I think as a trade coin selling is going to be a real hard area for anyone new entering the fray . I would say almost impossible to survive. All I can think is apart from the few good guys the rest are bashing old ladies over the head and giving them pittance for what their old hubby's collection is worth. I remember once just for the crack to show how greedy some are I priced up all my coins that I knew were UNC in VF and said to the guy can you give me half the listed book price for VF  and i'll be happy. Now really and truthfully he should of bit my arm off there and then. But no he did what the majority do. Spin some BS story about the coins being polished or some nonsense he read on the back of a toilet door and said they was basically scrap value but out of the goodness of his heart he would give me 5x the silver price. As if I was going to champion his generosity. Of course I said politely shove it :)

I know for a fact if I went to most dealers with my coins only a handful would fair trade me. The rest I would end up leaving before I punched(not a violent man in any extreme but I rise to the call if need be )  the blaggards lol.