British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

When it looks wrong and weighs wrong...............................................it is.

• Like 2

I,ve reported most if his listings to ebay, but i guess its a bit late in the day for even ebay to get them taken down. I answered all his questions of "What is this?" by saying its a fake....and another...and another...etc. He knows perfectly well what they are.

• Like 1

I have done the same, but I agree there is small hope eBay will pull them!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rob said:

No, they are just generating income. The problem has been manufactured by people who have taken on the 'if you don't have it expertly verified, it could be fake' phrase, hook, line and sinker. A significant number of people where slabs are mentioned in the US seem more concerned about the coin being a possible fake, than they are about the fact that it costs more to slab it than the worn lump of metal would be worth - slabbed or not. It really is a marketing triumph over common sense. I'm not saying the slab isn't helping to protect the coin and that can be beneficial for high grade pieces, but for something worth around melt?

Businesses only have a working model due to ongoing demand. Slabs have been around for 30 years, so the demand is clearly there. The blinkered people are the reason for their continuing success.

Also why should my coin worth £2000 cost more to grade than a coin worth £200. Are they telling me by default that they don't really look at lower value coins or they somehow have a different grading system for expensive coins? That side of grading is a rip off and just to pad the TPG wallets . A coin is a coin is a coin grading process is the same . The value of the coin is for my benefit not for some hoody disguised as a TPG to  add an imaginary cost on top. Outrageous :) 

2 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

How does he get traffic through to look at it lol. Hardly search terms you would use to look at coins. "What is it" lols

1 hour ago, zookeeperz said:

How does he get traffic through to look at it lol. Hardly search terms you would use to look at coins. "What is it" lols

Yeah - I was thinking that as well - the Commonwealth fake had no takers but the other two had attracted several 'victims'!

• Like 1

Also why should my coin worth £2000 cost more to grade than a coin worth £200. Are they telling me by default that they don't really look at lower value coins or they somehow have a different grading system for expensive coins? That side of grading is a rip off and just to pad the TPG wallets . A coin is a coin is a coin grading process is the same . The value of the coin is for my benefit not for some hoody disguised as a TPG to  add an imaginary cost on top. Outrageous :) 

Same reason your average estate agent charges more for a more expensive property for doing the same amount of work!

I agree entirely about these grading outfits. The practice has hijacked the common sense approach to numismatics that presumably did exist in the US before they came about. Add to that the astronomical inflation that eBay seems to engender for rubbish coins and we have the scenario where idiots pay for poor examples to be graded.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hibernianscribe said:

Same reason your average estate agent charges more for a more expensive property for doing the same amount of work!

I agree entirely about these grading outfits. The practice has hijacked the common sense approach to numismatics that presumably did exist in the US before they came about. Add to that the astronomical inflation that eBay seems to engender for rubbish coins and we have the scenario where idiots pay for poor examples to be graded.

Has ebay increased its commission from 10%-15% now?

3 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

Has ebay increased its commission from 10%-15% now?

Not sure, I haven't sold anything on eBay for some time.

1 minute ago, hibernianscribe said:

Not sure, I haven't sold anything on eBay for some time.

No nor me lols but last bill was for 2.42 and only sold 16 quids worth so it seems to fit that 15% bracket. if it is nobody said anything. 

I'm not aware of any recent changes to the fees. I think the last one was eBay charging a %age on everything, including postage. All that meant was the postage charge had to increase to reflect the fees.

I can't stand ebay and their policies of indifference to sellers, but given the number of eyeballs do list cheap things on the wife's account. I gave up on my own account 10 years ago. Now I start something of nominal value or a piece of crap at a quid, and I'm happy if they go for that as it enables me to get a business card to a potential customer. Somewhere along the line a buyer will visit the site, look at something costing £2 and realise it is legible, not bent, not corroded, and ultimately cheaper in all probability than they paid. It is no good telling people that they are throwing good money after bad on eBay, they need to realise themselves. Postage is £3, which some people consider excessive, but after all postage, fee and tax considerations, it leaves you with £1.14 for an item starting at a quid. So as far as I am concerned, I am doing my bit for education, not ripping people off, adding contacts to the customer list, saving myself a trip to the scrapper. It's a win, win, win, win ... situation. The only negative is funding a company with indifferent ethical standards. Think dodgy dealers and tax receipts.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rob said:

I'm not aware of any recent changes to the fees. I think the last one was eBay charging a %age on everything, including postage. All that meant was the postage charge had to increase to reflect the fees.

I can't stand ebay and their policies of indifference to sellers, but given the number of eyeballs do list cheap things on the wife's account. I gave up on my own account 10 years ago. Now I start something of nominal value or a piece of crap at a quid, and I'm happy if they go for that as it enables me to get a business card to a potential customer. Somewhere along the line a buyer will visit the site, look at something costing £2 and realise it is legible, not bent, not corroded, and ultimately cheaper in all probability than they paid. It is no good telling people that they are throwing good money after bad on eBay, they need to realise themselves. Postage is £3, which some people consider excessive, but after all postage, fee and tax considerations, it leaves you with £1.14 for an item starting at a quid. So as far as I am concerned, I am doing my bit for education, not ripping people off, adding contacts to the customer list, saving myself a trip to the scrapper. It's a win, win, win, win ... situation. The only negative is funding a company with indifferent ethical standards. Think dodgy dealers and tax receipts.

I think we are call between a rock and a hard place. Alternative is go through main auction sales and be whacked all over the shop for commission, vat, what I don't understand that if you're selling an item you pay vat and if you're buying an item you pay vat. 2 vat commissions on 1 item surely that is wrong? Shop seller would decide off his own back weather he would include vat in his pricing or swallow it to increase sales. But that is a voluntary decision made by him. How do auctioneers get to slam Vat twice for 1 item or is that the Govt again using double taxation laws? Come to think of it the auctioneers are on a good thing. 20% hammer price for both seller and buyer they get 40% of the value of the item they don't own. Some sleeping partner that is lol

Edited by zookeeperz
added

If you are VAT registered you can reclaim input VAT in most instances.

I tell you who flouting the law these gaming companies with electronic sales Now I am not sure how the law stands but I am pretty sure you have to state vat inc or exc on sales. The gaming companies for example say I want to buy 150 gold for a game will have a price list. 150 gold @$2.99 So you would expect to be charged roughly £2.50. But they charge £3.10. I don't know who does their conversion rate but he needs sacking. No mention of this sale is exc of vat. I think that is breaking the law ?

10 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

I tell you who flouting the law these gaming companies with electronic sales Now I am not sure how the law stands but I am pretty sure you have to state vat inc or exc on sales. The gaming companies for example say I want to buy 150 gold for a game will have a price list. 150 gold @$2.99 So you would expect to be charged roughly £2.50. But they charge £3.10. I don't know who does their conversion rate but he needs sacking. No mention of this sale is exc of vat. I think that is breaking the law ?

I think it depends on the sellers location. There are special rules applied to overseas sales. If it is a major gaming company they will not be breaking the law, but will be using loopholes to minimise their costs!

3 minutes ago, newheart said:

I think it depends on the sellers location. There are special rules applied to overseas sales. If it is a major gaming company they will not be breaking the law, but will be using loopholes to minimise their costs!

Yes but surely I should know before I purchase what the cost is and not find out once i have paid?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

Yes but surely I should know before I purchase what the cost is and not find out once i have paid?

I agree but even on Amazon.co.uk you see items for sale where the VAT status of the seller is not evident. If it is important to you, you need to ask the seller before buying. 

Depends on what the item is, the VAT scheme under which it is taxed, the seller's location and and and....

Anything which crosses borders has scope for different tax treatment because the VAT can be applied either in the country of sale, in which case it is deemed to be fully paid for intra-EU transactions, or if from outside the EU, is due on import, but the seller in the forein country doesn't charge VAT. Reatil sales to the public should be VAT inclusive, as they ought not to have any scope for reclaiming the tax element. For business to business it is optional, as you can reclaim the VAT with a VAT no, even if the price is not broken down.

Edited by Rob

I think we are call between a rock and a hard place. Alternative is go through main auction sales and be whacked all over the shop for commission, vat, what I don't understand that if you're selling an item you pay vat and if you're buying an item you pay vat. 2 vat commissions on 1 item surely that is wrong? Shop seller would decide off his own back weather he would include vat in his pricing or swallow it to increase sales. But that is a voluntary decision made by him. How do auctioneers get to slam Vat twice for 1 item or is that the Govt again using double taxation laws? Come to think of it the auctioneers are on a good thing. 20% hammer price for both seller and buyer they get 40% of the value of the item they don't own. Some sleeping partner that is lol

The VAT is only charged by the auction house on the buyer's and seller's premium, not the hammer price. The only additional VAT would be on an import from outside the EU where 5% is applied.

Edited by Rob

If your planning on selling anything of value on ebay, its worth waiting until they have their £1 or 5% final valuations fee on offer. They sometimes have this offer on for a couple of days per month.

• Like 1

Have I missed something or is this total BS  the 1950 Belgie rev is rare km#141.1  what the hell is KM#13b.1 when it's at home. Must be a error surely lol. this is what I mean with online auctions. this particular one is full of misquotes on coin rarities like there is an 1878 florin in good grade £100-£200 Now unless I made a mistake the 1878 NDN 48 arcs is supposed to exist and is rare. but the 1878 42 arcs with die number only the proof is rare and that coin isn't a proof. 

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/james-and-son-auctioneers/catalogue-id-srjam10091/lot-608a9502-78de-472a-a0fc-a80b0091c3f3

Edited by zookeeperz

1 hour ago, declan03 said:

If your planning on selling anything of value on ebay, its worth waiting until they have their £1 or 5% final valuations fee on offer. They sometimes have this offer on for a couple of days per month.

I'm waiting for one of those offers now Declan, everything is photographed and ready to go lol

• Like 1