British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Annes take on William and Mary 

• Like 1

Haha or maybe its her conjoined twin!!

I so wanted it for my collection just for the fun aspect of it. Outbid @ £77 .....maybe a lucky escape!!

Keen for a sale!! Reported. ?

• Like 1

I feel the price must be in error . Why on earth would you send that to be slabbed.? Surely money already lost on that deal. I said How much? $12 deal $154 no deal I'll keep my box thanks :) 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1889-GREAT-BRITAIN-SILVER-CROWN-VG-DETAILS-NGC-GRAFFITI-VICTORIA-GEORGE-DRAGON-/201832712464

I'm struggling to identify the graffiti as it all just looks like contact marks from the pictures. I'm not sure that clarification makes much of a difference when you get down to these grades. This is melt or thereabouts whether graded or rejected. You might get a small premium for the recyclable plastic, but not for the coin.

22 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

I have better I still wouldn't get graded. I'm puzzled by this.

I reckon this is just indicative of this apparent obsession the Americans seem to have with these grading companies. Not necessary in my view!

Edited by hibernianscribe

5 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

I reckon this is just indicative if this obsession the Americans seem to have with these grading companies. Not necessary in my view!

I totally agree, our relatives across the pond seem to have an obsession with things packaged in plastic, which doesn't necessarily indicate good quality.

9 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

That is so funny! Cannot believe it has had no bids yet.... PS think I am turning into a coin nerd.

1 hour ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

I totally agree, our relatives across the pond seem to have an obsession with things packaged in plastic, which doesn't necessarily indicate good quality.

But it must work as I saw this 1935 rocking horse crown listed on there £150 1 left 1 sold. Seriously you cannot give them away for £20

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1935-Great-Britain-Crown-Jubilee-Incuse-Edge-Lettering-NGC-MS64-/322501153304

If you can get 150 for that in a plastic case, I think I might need to get at least 1 coin graded lol :)

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist
spelling ability -1

???????

1 hour ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

No, the obsession is with absolutes. Maybes are a definite no-no. They like to assign a number as it is quantifiable. That's why you don't have a draw in a game, which goes into overtime to force a result. Cricket poses something of a conundrum.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

It's a bit whacky, but if it sells, good luck to him. It recycles something that would more likely be landfilled, unlike the previous item which needs to be recycled, but never will because the owner will believe they have something of value.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

It's a bit whacky, but if it sells, good luck to him. It recycles something that would more likely be landfilled, unlike the previous item which needs to be recycled, but never will because the owner will believe they have something of value.

At least it's accurately described. I fail to see how a penny with no original surface metal remaining has lustre. :lol:

8 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

If you can get 150 for that in a plastic case, I think I might need to get at least 1 coin graded lol :)

Does anyone actually know how much it costs to grade a coin with one of these unnecessary organisations. Seems to me all they achieve is an excuse for a price-hike!

3 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

Does anyone actually know how much it costs to grade a coin with one of these unnecessary organisations. Seems to me all they achieve is an excuse for a price-hike!

No, they are just generating income. The problem has been manufactured by people who have taken on the 'if you don't have it expertly verified, it could be fake' phrase, hook, line and sinker. A significant number of people where slabs are mentioned in the US seem more concerned about the coin being a possible fake, than they are about the fact that it costs more to slab it than the worn lump of metal would be worth - slabbed or not. It really is a marketing triumph over common sense. I'm not saying the slab isn't helping to protect the coin and that can be beneficial for high grade pieces, but for something worth around melt?

Businesses only have a working model due to ongoing demand. Slabs have been around for 30 years, so the demand is clearly there. The blinkered people are the reason for their continuing success.

Edited by Rob

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:10 PM, Michael-Roo said:

I'd rather have the full boxes and empty them myself!!! :lol:

52 minutes ago, newheart said:

Ok, newbie question: is this legit? The seller seems to have had a series of "unusual" coins. Are there modern copies of Crowns from that period?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=162715422468

at 20 grams its a fake .chinese knock-off.

• Like 1