British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

37 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Another seller using one of those blurry cameras - to be avoided!

I imagine details of this site may well have been posted before. However, even so it's a shocking reminder regarding what is coming out of China these days - it's mind boggling!!

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?site=glo&g=y&SearchText=replica+coins&needQuery=n&page=1

4 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Isn't that the excessively rare Tsunami high tide with halloween pumpkin essay mark? :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

Isn't that the excessively rare Tsunami high tide with halloween pumpkin essay mark? :D

No mate, no. It's low tide, innit? Says so on the listing. :rolleyes:

I agree, looks quite dodgy to me as well.

25 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

Reported that one. I might make it my mission to weed out same fakes on the bay today as I'm waiting in for a delivery lol

37 minutes ago, will1976 said:

Reported that one. I might make it my mission to weed out same fakes on the bay today as I'm waiting in for a delivery lol

I went down this road a few months back with the  scammers and the error 2017 £1 misprinted date 2016. Misprinted 1.5 billion of them lols. But the sellers I reported but only after I politely contacted them and explained the real story and was ignored or slated lol. But they are all still selling. Ebay doesn't care. This is a quote " if you feel a coin is fake call the police to verify this". Like when did the police become coin appraisers  . Long and short of it is. Pass the buck to someone else they are only interested in their %  from sales matters not what the item is or how it is sourced ,fake or genuine.

Edited by zookeeperz
dyslexic spelling tantrum

31 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

I went down this road a few months back with the  scammers and the error 2017 £1 misprinted date 2016. Misprinted 1.5 billion of them lols. But the sellers I reported but only after I politely contacted them and explained the real story and was ignored or slated lol. But they are all still selling. Ebay doesn't care. This is a quote " if you feel a coin is fake call the police to verify this". Like when did the police become coin appraisers  . Long and short of it is. Pass the buck to someone else they are only interested in their %  from sales matters not what the item is or how it is sourced ,fake or genuine.

Sadly I know this is true, I'm just pleased that what I collect hasn't (as yet) been faked. As you say it all boils down to eBays bottom line and what % they can make

At least with you guys at the helm, about 80% of the fakes we report are withdrawn from sale. Saves some amateur collector adding a fake to their collection and it also kind of  disuades these scammers from trying to sell more of them. Keep up the good work. Its interesting to see what these fakes look like.

• Like 2

I bought a British token on eBay that turned out to be a recent copy. I opened a "not as described case" and won. So if you felt brave enough, for a repeat offender you could order one for a pittance then open a dispute and leave appropriate feedback. You would need pretty good evidence, so it would be a bit risky!

47 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

Reported too.

Removed, due to error in listing.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

It's all part of the ebay learning experience. If you can send it back when not as described, but nobody does, then it must be accurately described, right? There has been a number of people come on here over the years who had to recalibrate their grading, and there will be others in the future too. It's easy for people to think they have a high grade coin when they compare with other examples on ebay or the example they have just upgraded. The half decent coin in their hands may not be UNC, but has to be close enough to call it EF

A statistic that sellers studiously avoid is that one whereby only a miniscule fraction of one per cent of coins are genuinely uncirculated. Sellers up the grade because they are merely pandering to the market that demands 'uncirculated' coins and to fill the demand this requires flexi-grade - the suit anybody description.

And the 'COPY' and 'WRL' stamps are both there on the reverse, but both are deliberately, no doubt, photographed upside down.

• Like 1

Its not the first time for that seller either. They are frequently listing those Ancestors pewter sixpences as geniune.  Clearly out to deceive. 

5 hours ago, Rob said:

It's all part of the ebay learning experience. If you can send it back when not as described, but nobody does, then it must be accurately described, right? There has been a number of people come on here over the years who had to recalibrate their grading, and there will be others in the future too. It's easy for people to think they have a high grade coin when they compare with other examples on ebay or the example they have just upgraded. The half decent coin in their hands may not be UNC, but has to be close enough to call it EF

A statistic that sellers studiously avoid is that one whereby only a miniscule fraction of one per cent of coins are genuinely uncirculated. Sellers up the grade because they are merely pandering to the market that demands 'uncirculated' coins and to fill the demand this requires flexi-grade - the suit anybody description.

I think his attributing skills are spot on as one is F and the other VF i'll leave you guess what the letters really stand for lols :) 

7 hours ago, Rob said:

Properly described as not hammered. Should probably also say not milled either. But cast doesn't sell very well when they shouldn't be.

It's been pulled!

• Like 2