British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

7 minutes ago, declan03 said:

An unusual strike on an 1867 Queen Victoria Penny. ....does it make it more valuable...or less valuable due to the die crack running through it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1867-VICTORIAN-PENNY/272869541228?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

It looks like clashed dies given it has the same folds as the dress. Someone might pay extra for it, but there's no logical reason to do so

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, declan03 said:

An unusual strike on an 1867 Queen Victoria Penny. ....does it make it more valuable...or less valuable due to the die crack running through it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1867-VICTORIAN-PENNY/272869541228?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

sorry didn't see your reply lol rob

Edited by zookeeperz
goof

26 minutes ago, Rob said:

It looks like clashed dies given it has the same folds as the dress. Someone might pay extra for it, but there's no logical reason to do so

This particular clash on Victoria's neck occurs quite often on coins from the 1860's and 70's and has been referred to as a "crow's foot". If you search the posts for this you will see several mentions and examples. I have one on an 1877 penny. As Rob says, almost certainly caused by the folds on Britannia's dress.

1877 F91 crows foot zoom.JPG

1 hour ago, Rob said:

But die fill at the end of the three loop doesn't change the attribution.

A cat has a tail. The Manx cat variety doesn't. A cat that has lost its tail in an accident does not become a Manx cat.

Very true. I just noticed on the bottom pic the "open" 3 pic there is a very thin die crack running through the angle of the downstroke. Could that make it appear to be a curve rather than a normal 3 with a kink in it?

Edited by zookeeperz
Computer refusing to type correctly :)

13 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Any help?

1863 open 3 (2).jpg

12 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

Actually to be fair the Top coin from ebay is more open than the open 3 . I would say a subvariety  . Otherwise you can't call an open 3 an open 3 :) . Just throwing it in the mix

Now here is another anomaly It would appear that there are different types if we take the coin in the picture above to be the true open 3. This style is completely different to the known open 3's that have sold on LCA. Notice that the LCA coins the 3 is much more Squat but yet the forum coin open 3 is more open than the true open 3 and this does not have anything missing or any die fills. So again begs the question are we tied to thinking there is only 1 type or is it the case which I feel is obvious there are two different font 3's at least used and this variety appears on both? I notice also both LCA coins have overhang at the back of the 3 at top right

1863comparisoms-vert-vert.jpg

Edited by zookeeperz
added info

3 hours ago, secret santa said:

This particular clash on Victoria's neck occurs quite often on coins from the 1860's and 70's and has been referred to as a "crow's foot". If you search the posts for this you will see several mentions and examples. I have one on an 1877 penny. As Rob says, almost certainly caused by the folds on Britannia's dress.

Pete sent me the following picture which nicely illustrates the source of the "crow's foot". It's interesting that, although the crow's foot is always in the same place, it's caused by a clash with another coin's reverse at an angle of around 30 degrees whereas I would have expected the reverse to be vertical.

1867 crows foot overlay.jpg

• Like 1

Can someone please tell me how to produce this overlaid picture ? I can flip the reverse photo in Paint but don't know how to superimpose a rotated picture onto the obverse.

3 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

Now here is another anomaly It would appear that there are different types if we take the coin in the picture above to be the true open 3. This style is completely different to the known open 3's that have sold on LCA. Notice that the LCA coins the 3 is much more Squat but yet the forum coin open 3 is more open than the true open 3 and this does not have anything missing or any die fills. So again begs the question are we tied to thinking there is only 1 type or is it the case which I feel is obvious there are two different font 3's at least used and this variety appears on both? I notice also both LCA coins have overhang at the back of the 3 at top right

1863comparisoms-vert-vert.jpg

We seem to be discussing the open 3 on two different threads at the moment. As stated elsewhere, I don’t think we can directly compare these photos, different cameras, different parallax. There is definite foreshortening of the LCA images compared to Richards,  apparent by measuring on the photos the heights etc of other numerals.

Jerry

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

Can someone please tell me how to produce this overlaid picture ? I can flip the reverse photo in Paint but don't know how to superimpose a rotated picture onto the obverse.

I'd like to know too. I suspect something more advanced than Paint is required.

You need something that will allow you to use layers, so that you can set the opacity of the top layer such that it will show through the detail of the base layer.

Paint shop pro will but that will cost you for the privilege.

GIMP is free and is fully featured, so if you only want to play, this is probably the best freebie going. It also seems to be very well documented.

https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

• Like 1

So this coin was advertised as "Proof" it looked ok in the original ad.

I offered to take 1/3 money back as a refund. Really not even worth that to me, but just to get a resolution. He posted the messages to eBay [see below my video of coin] Unfortunately I didn't do a proper unboxing video of this coin. I preopened.

BTW...this is the first ever Return that I initiated :D....The sellers name is freshpics4u 

Untitled.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

Edited by John A

48 minutes ago, John A said:

So this coin was advertised as "Proof" it looked ok in the original ad.

I offered to take 1/3 money back as a refund. Really not even worth that to me, but just to get a resolution. He posted the messages to eBay [see below my video of coin] Unfortunately I didn't do a proper unboxing video of this coin. I preopened.

BTW...this is the first ever Return that I initiated :D....The sellers name is freshpics4u 

Untitled.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

I would ask for his address and talk to him face to face. I bet he declines that offer as well :) . The oldest trick in the book. Use a picture of a proof coin which he probably stole from another site and send a crappy substandard coin in the post. Had same thing happen to me 3 times. But the pics were bad and the coins were worse 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2017 at 3:51 PM, Unwilling Numismatist said:

You need something that will allow you to use layers, so that you can set the opacity of the top layer such that it will show through the detail of the base layer.

Paint shop pro will but that will cost you for the privilege.

GIMP is free and is fully featured, so if you only want to play, this is probably the best freebie going. It also seems to be very well documented.

https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Downloaded it. Jesus im totally lost. No idea what to do. I'll pass lols

simples ... google "Gimp how to use layers" and then "gimp how to change opacity in layers" .

2 sets of easy to follow steps, and hurrah, you are now an image editing god!

:)

Bring on the gimp ?

How do these people maintain 99.8% feedback ratings when they try to fleece people with garbage like this VF at best  . Seriously £671 lmao

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITANNIA-GEORGIUS-III-D-G-REX-COPPER-CARTWHEEL-TWO-PENCE-COIN-1797-/182826539731

This is eBay remember, where many of the coins up for sale are at inflated prices, and of course the rating bit for buyers and sellers doesn't kick in until after the deal. So if any item, coin or anything else, is badly overpriced it probably won't sell, so feedback to eBay won't happen unless the item is reported for violating eBay rules. 

I also suppose anyone who pays an inflated price, being ignorant of the proper value at the time, will blindly give a good rating to a 'cowboy' seller.

I have long been watching cartwheels (and other British coins) on eBay and unfortunately such a listing is not out of the ordinary - especially for coins for sale in the US. 

Edited by hibernianscribe

Despite the inflated price, this seller is acting within the rules - he is using the pictures as the description of condition, he hasn't described the condition as 'F', 'VF' etc. and he's named his price to await any unwitting buyer do come along. All this emphasises is the ethos of " buyer beware"!

Edited by hibernianscribe

2 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

How do these people maintain 99.8% feedback ratings when they try to fleece people with garbage like this VF at best  . Seriously £671 lmao

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITANNIA-GEORGIUS-III-D-G-REX-COPPER-CARTWHEEL-TWO-PENCE-COIN-1797-/182826539731

The photos are shocking, giving it a sheen that makes it look potentially polished? Great edge, though, and from what little of the detail I could make out, I'd say it was better that VF to be honest. Nothing you'd want to shell out nearly £700 for though, certainly not based upon those images! :)

Apposite seller id though. Wollongongcashexpress will more than adequately summarise his cash flow if he can sell at those prices.

Thinking about it, with an ID like that it could be an alibaba coin, hence the dodgy images too????

2 hours ago, Coinery said:

Thinking about it, with an ID like that it could be an alibaba coin, hence the dodgy images too????

57000 sales it's a disgrace ebay covers up all their bogus and shifty deals

3 hours ago, Coinery said:

The photos are shocking, giving it a sheen that makes it look potentially polished? Great edge, though, and from what little of the detail I could make out, I'd say it was better that VF to be honest. Nothing you'd want to shell out nearly £700 for though, certainly not based upon those images! :)

Notice the edge photo's are slightly less focused and are bite marks all around it. Plus taken from the shallowest angle. This guy is a pictorial genius as in he knows what too and how to hide . Why no normal image?. Colour is just wrong if that is the normal colour. I think there should be a rule for pictures I think we all are fed up with the blurr,blob, photo shopped jobs?

4 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

57000 sales it's a disgrace ebay covers up all their bogus and shifty deals

57000 sales equates to a massive amount of fees for ebay. Disgrace? Yes. Surprise? No.

• Like 1