British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Heres a lot i thought about until it crashed through the £700 barrier . Maybe it was still a good buy but its goobye from me!! ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-X-Victoria-Shillings-1850-1889-1890-1893-beautiful-condition/332399137923?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

35 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Heres a lot i thought about until it crashed through the £700 barrier . Maybe it was still a good buy but its goobye from me!! ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-X-Victoria-Shillings-1850-1889-1890-1893-beautiful-condition/332399137923?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I wouldn't stress about it. I'm 90% sure the 1850 is a fake. The seller is a lying twat as a quick check of his feedback shows sales of "key date" George II shillings over a year ago.

If a deal looks too good to be true......

• Like 1

5 hours ago, declan03 said:

If real ,then it is a good buy .I bidded up to £70 (didnt think for a minute I would have a chance ) , but without being 100% on the 1850 ,I was only bidding on the other 3. It was the die crack on the reverse that concerned me .For such a scarce coin ,I would have expected to find other examples with the same flaw .I did think it would go for about the £1000 mark though.

• Like 1

Perhaps i,ve had a lucky escape then!! Although i did search the internet and forum for replica 1850 shillings and it came back with nothing. Someone could make thereself a fortune if they brought out a yearly book with up to date forgeries. 

10 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Perhaps i,ve had a lucky escape then!! Although i did search the internet and forum for replica 1850 shillings and it came back with nothing. Someone could make thereself a fortune if they brought out a yearly book with up to date forgeries. 

Problem is they are making new ones every month and will only get better at it , the book could end up almost weekly :( .

IMO will only make new collectors pissed off as when they buy one and fnd its a copy will lose interest.

These in the years to come could of been the people buying forum members coins when they come to sell and can only damage the future of coin collecting.

There are people buying decimal coin copies for £50-£100 every day kew gardens ,lines on face etc.

Its not just  the rare or scarce coins but the ones widely available that people dont look at twice that could cause a big problem.

• Like 1

The future of collecting as we know it is coming to an end. I've only been buying hammered recently as it's the only thing i can be certain of in myself that it's real. I'd struggle to ID some of these new milled reproductions. I did hope one day that my young son would take up the hobby but I think now if this trend continues I'll sway him to save him losing out in the future. It's becoming a lottery. 

• Like 1

Another of which there are fakes, would have to be carefull not in the packaging of which even those are being opened and then heatsealed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1863-Penny-Open-3-Very-rare-in-any-grade-/292269688927

Is this an open 3 ? I thought the downstroke was supposed to be curved? Or is this a slender 3 The bottom serif is short of where it should be?

1863slender.jpg

Edited by zookeeperz
adding link

Disappointed ! ?

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/162695896234

I think i am going to have to buy one of these and list it on ebay as a fake with a million pound price mark so it stays there as a warning to others. Sick to the back teeth of seeing these go for hundreds of pounds. Its ridiculous 

Edited by Ukstu

2 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1863-Penny-Open-3-Very-rare-in-any-grade-/292269688927

Is this an open 3 ? I thought the downstroke was supposed to be curved? Or is this a slender 3 The bottom serif is short of where it should be?

1863slender.jpg

I don’t think it is, the diagonal is the wrong shape, and the top left serif is not slightly indented, as it is on an open 3.

Jerry

Just looked it to me ,i stand to be corrected and sure you are right Jerry.its that little dig or different colour at the top of the diagonal that may of tricked me :D

Any help?

1863 open 3 (2).jpg

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

Any help?

1863 open 3 (2).jpg

Actually to be fair the Top coin from ebay is more open than the open 3 . I would say a subvariety  . Otherwise you can't call an open 3 an open 3 :) . Just throwing it in the mix

5 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

Actually to be fair the Top coin from ebay is more open than the open 3 . I would say a subvariety  . Otherwise you can't call an open 3 an open 3 :) . Just throwing it in the mix

The thing I noticed from the start about the open 3 on the ebay coin, was that it had a flat (left) downward projection for the top of the 3, while the real open 3 coin has a "spiked" projection. Also, on the ebay coin, the middle stroke of the 3 points points to below the bottom of the 6, while the real open 3 coin has the middle stroke of the 3 pointing to the middle of the lower half of the 6. I do not believe the ebay coin is a 1863 open 3. jmho...

Edited by RLC35

Yes Bob your right Jon putting the two pictures together was a good idea as I have learned something and pointing to the six is the best indicator by far.

Thank you Jerry for correcting me :)

3 hours ago, RLC35 said:

The thing I noticed from the start about the open 3 on the ebay coin, was that it had a flat (left) downward projection for the top of the 3, while the real open 3 coin has a "spiked" projection. Also, on the ebay coin, the middle stroke of the 3 points points to below the bottom of the 6, while the real open 3 coin has the middle stroke of the 3 pointing to the middle of the lower half of the 6. I do not believe the ebay coin is a 1863 open 3. jmho...

I'll use simple logic. Just because all the known open 3's have for want of a word share the same characteristics and when described in all of LCA "the downward stroke curves" as opposed to a normal 3 downward stroke is straight. However why was it called an open 3 to start with? Obviously because the tip of the downward stroke in relation to the bottom curved serif at its extremity  or the "gape" between two fixed points. I have until that ebay coin like most of us only seen two types the traditional gape which has an over exaggerated bottom half moon curve leaving a small gape and the open 3 with the wider gape and curved downstroke. But here's the thing it's open because of the gape and the ebay coin has the largest gape of all so whilst it might not be the traditional open 3 it still warrants inclusion as either a new style of open 3,Short serif at the bottom 3 or the open 3 we are only recognising becomes irrelevant ?. Say I owned that coin and I sent it to be classified and I already owned an open 3 and I can clearly see that the ebay coin is far more open than the one I have the true open 3 as we know of at the moment. If they just graded it as a normal 3 I would be pretty ticked off. If it's more open regardless of what the downstroke looks like it's open. Pretty much black or white. Call it a subvariety if you will but for all intent of purpose is it not an open 3? The logical argument says it is just a different style

Edited by zookeeperz
Grammar

But die fill at the end of the three loop doesn't change the attribution.

A cat has a tail. The Manx cat variety doesn't. A cat that has lost its tail in an accident does not become a Manx cat.

• Like 2