British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Hi.

Can anyone tell me if there were two different types of 1757 George II Sixpence or are there fakes of this coin? Only i have this one and it has the heart shape you see on fakes on the shoulder. Also the middle line at the top of his shoulder is a V shape instead of straight up and down.

Thanks. 

20170920_131605~2.jpg

20170920_131610~2.jpg

20170920_131551~2.jpg

• Like 1

The heart shape is just a normal wear pattern, but looking at a few images there does appear to be some detail differences in the hair arrangement around the shoulder and also on the drapery. There's a cheap project for someone if they want to take up the baton. The old head sixpences are common enough to buy in quantity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, declan03 said:

Hi.

Can anyone tell me if there were two different types of 1757 George II Sixpence or are there fakes of this coin? Only i have this one and it has the heart shape you see on fakes on the shoulder. Also the middle line at the top of his shoulder is a V shape instead of straight up and down.

Thanks. 

20170920_131605~2.jpg

20170920_131610~2.jpg

20170920_131551~2.jpg

Thats normal. The heart shapes on all of them for that year , think its meant to be a pleat. I've no concerns what so ever about it. Looks great. 

• Like 1

You,ve got me paranoid about coins with heart shapes on them being fake now Stuart. I,m seeing them everywhere!! This one just caught my eye going through ebay...is it just my imagination?  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1566-Queen-Elizabeth-1st-Sixpence/192305602915?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649????

10 minutes ago, declan03 said:

You,ve got me paranoid about coins with heart shapes on them being fake now Stuart. I,m seeing them everywhere!! This one just caught my eye going through ebay...is it just my imagination?  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1566-Queen-Elizabeth-1st-Sixpence/192305602915?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649????

With a image like that i couldn't say for certain. But i will add I've seen stuff that sellers been selling recently and none of its rung any alarm bells. I tend to avoid "butter lense" photographs and distance photo's lots as it could be an attempt to conceal something. 

Edited by Ukstu

23 hours ago, Ukstu said:

He eventually pulled it for a 2nd time. Not sure why. Perhaps he's planning on relisting it in the future as genuine. He copied and pasted the title from another similiar genuine coin that was listed on ebay. I shall keep my out for it resurfacing again. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322761216842

The real listing he filched his title from 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R054-Henry-VIII-Hammered-Silver-Groat-posthumous-issue-under-Edward-VI-S-2404/201528050660

This guy keeps messaging me telling me what he's done - he sent me one when he relisted it and this morning I had another one telling me he'd removed it and also thanking me for my help!  

• Like 1

Ha ha. You've made a new best friend! 

I once messaged a woman selling an unidentified hammered kindly telling her what it was. She messaged me back a few days later about identifying a few other coins for her. 

I ended up with about 30 separate messages each containing a coin image. She wanted full ID including mintmarks, spink number and grade plus rough value. I don't bother messaging anybody no more with help requests ?. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Nah, it's obviously just a misprunt. The guy is illiterate. Should read shocking. The clue to the mistake is the item location.........CHEDDER (sic)

• Like 2

The only thing stunning is that it raised £5.50. Its scrap. 

People seem to get quite exercised about the value of and prices paid for low grade things. Frankly, I'm not sure it matters that much whether you pay £2, £3 or even £5 for something that is worth less as melt. The buyer has filled an integral part of their collection; ok, maybe at a premium to it's worth, but given 2 or 3 quid is less than the cost of a pint............

More importantly they are happy. It's no good telling people there is no right or wrong way to collect, but then to tell them they have collected in the wrong way seems a bit muddled thinking.

• Like 2

If you look at the total cost including postage Rob, there is no way on earth a 1935 scrappy looking florin is worth over £15.....not on my watch anyway. 

Just seen this one on Ebay !!!  the long teeth show its a Reproduction 33  , and he found it in Norfolk  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ONE-PENNY-METAL-DETECTOR-FIND-1933-King-GEORG-IVS-VERY-RARE-ONLY-8-Known-MADE-/182785889026?hash=item2a8ee35302:g:Jy4AAOSw5ShZx7SC

Edited by terrysoldpennies

Wow, that second 3 looks pretty bad there, even under the encrustation.

Rather expensive. Is it perhaps an 8?

9 hours ago, declan03 said:

Rather expensive. Is it perhaps an 8?

Impossible to be an 8 mate, that would make it a GVI penny.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Just seen this one on Ebay !!!  the long teeth show its a Reproduction 33  , and he found it in Norfolk  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ONE-PENNY-METAL-DETECTOR-FIND-1933-King-GEORG-IVS-VERY-RARE-ONLY-8-Known-MADE-/182785889026?hash=item2a8ee35302:g:Jy4AAOSw5ShZx7SC

I agree with terrysoldpennies, it's an attempt at induced corrosion to mask the obvious differences normally evident in the repro 1933 pennies - the verdigris looks 'applied' especially on the obverse and if you study the kings head the differences seen on the repros are still evident. I've reported it. 

• Like 1

Check out the description of this 1933 penny 253170981766 :lol:

Sorry i cant put the link up but worth a read :o

Although nobody (hopefully)will fall for the bollocks he writes :(

1 hour ago, hibernianscribe said:

I agree with terrysoldpennies, it's an attempt at induced corrosion to mask the obvious differences normally evident in the repro 1933 pennies - the verdigris looks 'applied' especially on the obverse and if you study the kings head the differences seen on the repros are still evident. I've reported it. 

The fake corrosion is obvious, which would suggest the story is as bogus as the coin. Reported.

Also reported. ?

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Check out the description of this 1933 penny 253170981766 :lol:

Sorry i cant put the link up but worth a read :o

Although nobody (hopefully)will fall for the bollocks he writes :(

Talk about bullsh*t!

The punctuation is something else as well - not a full-stop or comma in sight.

43 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

Talk about bullsh*t!

He has set up a new account and just a blatant attempt to try and rip someone off:(

1 hour ago, hibernianscribe said:

Talk about bullsh*t!

?. I know. My english isn't top but thats awlful. The moral of the story is avoid, far too much information. When an item comes on eBay with a tale that long its generally BS. Reported them both. 

• Like 1