British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

1 hour ago, Michael-Roo said:

I'm not sure which of these listings offers the best chance of ridicule. I'm going for 'Anne looks a bit butch' as my critical contribution. :)

Oh my. ? Some people eh. The George IV looks like it got lost in a sandstorm for a century. I hear crys of any old iron ?

Don't know who bits and bobs is. Who is making these? Are they all Chinese or is someone else involved. The large number of types suggests an industrial scale operation.

Anyway, 1851 halfcrown, just like the non-existent original won't fool anybody, but the others are a bit worrying.

I have an idea that they are coming out of Russia. There's a seller I've mentioned before who has previously sold some worryingly good fakes, although he's currently flogging Third Reich and Stalin era fakes.

Some of those coppers, bronzes, wreath crowns, and golds would surely fool a novice.

And having had a quick look at the feedback I see people are snapping them up.

Edited by Michael-Roo

They are coming from China, you can find them on Aliexpress.com.  I bought a wreath crown and the recent 1869 and 1933 pennies ($3 each) from China just to see what we are dealing with. They are getting better and might foool some people.  Talking of 1933 pennies, what about this one for £800 item no  263179627692. https://m.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=263179627692&isNewKw=1&mfs=GOCLK&acimp=0&_trksid=p2053742.m2428.l1313.TR0.TRC0.X263179627692&sqp=263179627692

Funny how they can't take a good photo of the reverse or spell for that matter.

And then there is this chap Altered dates

Free delivery when you buy 3 or more though :D

Same price , same coin, same town, same description. Same scam. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253134669300

Edited by Ukstu

21 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

Same price , same coin, same town, same description. Same scam. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253134669300

Yet another Stu. In all these listings the description may state 'engravings clearly marked' (cheeky), but still the intention is to snare a foolish buyer.

All three reported.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/King-Charles-I-hammered-silver-threepence-coin/172851744865?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D45993%26meid%3D2cc21a98c78645cbadb776f891792b98%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D172852041995&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 1

I've reported all three also. Hopefully they will get pulled. I've not seen many replicas on ebay lately then wham three all in the space of a few hours.  Couple of clowns them two , if it was a geniune coin it wouldn't be worth that much anyway. 

18 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

I've reported all three also. Hopefully they will get pulled. I've not seen many replicas on ebay lately then wham three all in the space of a few hours.  Couple of clowns them two , if it was a geniune coin it wouldn't be worth that much anyway. 

Indeed. :)

How's life treating you up in Cumbria? I know, like me, you're originally from Liverpool, but I don't know which area. Amazing at it seems (to me at least) while we were there today, for the first time in our lives, my wife and I  visited Crosby. Nice beach and I was very taken with the Gormleys which are quite an impressive statement in the landscape. I had no idea there were so many of the buggers. 100!

2017-09-04 12.09.41 copy.jpg

2017-09-04 12.07.04 copy.jpg

2017-09-04 12.11.59 copy.jpg

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 1

Ha ha. I've seen those myself a few times. Quite a few were painted up with clothes. There was abit of a moan about vandalism but it was all in good taste. Looks like its fading on them now. 

Lifes not too bad in Clitheroe. I miss my old friends but i occasionally see them when they drive up. Originally i was from Dovecote but I've also lived in Skelmersdale . Strange place that was lol some right nutters there.?

I'm Toxteth, then Allerton, then Toxteth again ( the late 1970s crappy bedsit years). Dovecote? I have a couple of friends who are originally from the Pilch Lane area. Also, back in the mid '70s, I had a girlfriend who lived in Huyton. We would often spend our Saturday nights at the Hillside pub then at the Hoe Down club, which I think was in the basement? This was all pre punk of course, after that it was the city centre and Eric's, The Grapes, The Armadillo etc.

Edited by Michael-Roo

My mum and dad left Dovecote ( Stone field Rd)in the late 70s and dragged us all to Skem. I don't remember much about there as i was born in 73. Did regularly pop back to visit family there til the late 90s but sadly they have all passed now and I've got no more family there. The rest of my family live in Skelmersdale still apart from my parents who moved up to Clitheroe before i did. 

I had a messy breakup with my ex then ended up getting full custody of both my kids who where under ten at the time. Right mess. I was told if i wanted custody i had to leave skem for family support so i came here. Bit traumatic for all of us , i lost my job my house and friends. Kids have only just settled down now.  

Edited by Ukstu

Good for you. Family first every time.

Obviously, I'm a bit older. Before we moved to Cambridge for my wife's Phd Liverpool of the late 1970s/early 1980s was a fun time for me. Played in bands. Made some records.

Here's me and Pete Burns LOL (I'm on the left, playing the Telecaster).

NIW Eric's Feb 1980.jpg

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 2

? no way ha ha. Thats brilliant. Happy days. I bet you've got some crazy stories to tell.  You've done the right thing leaving Liverpool for Cambridge. Good choice mate. 

Going slope off to bed mate. Catch you later. ?

Edited by Ukstu

5 hours ago, Ukstu said:

Reported as well.

• Like 1

Job well done. All 3 ended. ? Thanks everyone. 

On 30 August 2017 at 11:10 PM, Rob said:

I'm not sure which of these listings offers the best chance of ridicule. I'm going for 'Anne looks a bit butch' as my critical contribution. :)

New additions.…..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jd012349-1/m.html?item=272829068481&hash=item3f85e134c1%3Ag%3A4J8AAOSwt7hZdkAD&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Must be trying to impress a posh girl in the local pub with his antiques' trading! ?