British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

16 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

Surely mass reporting is called for then, otherwise a couple of eager novices may bid each other up to silly money.

Have done so - this is so blatant! 

You would think he would know better than to ruin his reputation over a few quid for fake Victoria pennies. What a bozo. I'll be closely scrutinizing anything he's selling from now on. I've bought from him also. 

What I've noticed with ebay and our mass reporting is that if its not got a bid on it they will pull it but once it's running they don't. I can see that going on to complete sale unless the seller can be persuaded. Perhaps a friendly word about reputation , future faith etc might sway him. 

Edited by Ukstu

This pillock has just sent me a reply to both of my messages saying he is justified because it's listed as a "novelty coin"! Looks as though the innocents that are bidding haven't noticed that - this guy is very brazen.

1871 gone. Hes pulled it.? He's only just listed the other as a novelty. Probably relist it as the same.

Edited by Ukstu

We might have another success! Hope I'm not being premature but he's just messaged me after I replied again and told him despite the novelty thing he was still being deceptive, and he says he will pull the coins. By his English he doesn't seem to have been educated here!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

We might have another success! Hope I'm not being premature but he's just messaged me after I replied again and told him despite the novelty thing he was still being deceptive, and he says he will pull the coins. By his English he doesn't seem to have been educated here!

Well done. Good job. Sometimes the moral stick works. ?

1 minute ago, Ukstu said:

1871 gone. Hes pulled it.? He's only just listed the other as a novelty. Probably relist it as the same.

You might be right - he responded to my second message and was defiant!

37 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

you gotta admit though they are quality replicas,   same standard as the mint easily 

• Like 1

Thats what makes them so dangerous. Not my area am afraid. It makes me think twice about diversifying my collection. Still a victory Hibernianscribe getting him to pull them. If he relists them as novelty then i suppose thats fair enough but in the future they will reappear on ebay as geniune no doubt. 

12 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

Thats what makes them so dangerous. Not my area am afraid. It makes me think twice about diversifying my collection. Still a victory Hibernianscribe getting him to pull them. If he relists them as novelty then i suppose thats fair enough but in the future they will reappear on ebay as geniune no doubt. 

Unfortunately it's self-perpetuating - a gullible buyer gets drawn in, ripped off then when he realizes his mistake - what does he do but put it back on eBay as the "genuine article" purely to recoup his losses and in doing so exacerbates the whole problem. Such is the vulnerability of a selling platform such as eBay.  

Edited by hibernianscribe
  • Like 1

That was a really nice copy of that 1869 penny. Probably would have fooled me on pictures alone, although a bit too pristine looking. It would have been interesting to have had the weight and dimentions of it. I,ve bought from this seller before and to be fair he did have novelty written next to the main listing. I think there would have been a few buyers who  would have bought it for a filler for their collection. 

As Stuart said, it makes you think twice about starting a new collection when there are coins of this calibre getting into the wrong hands.

At least ebay seem to be listening to some of the complaints so we should keep it up. Although i noticed they still have not pulled this bunch of hammered coins.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Medieval-Hammered-Coins/122636948835?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, declan03 said:

At least ebay seem to be listening to some of the complaints so we should keep it up. Although i noticed they still have not pulled this bunch of hammered coins.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Medieval-Hammered-Coins/122636948835?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I think eBay haven't pulled it because of the wording of his description where he plays the I don't honestly know if they are genuine ploy. Surely the bidders would pick up on any hint that the coins might not be genuine but it seems they are blind to it.

• Like 2

Anyone ever handled one of those 1869's, they look amazing? Are they clearly 'novelty' in hand?

Me too

Also sent both sellers a message. Got a response from uk.pluck - signed himself Joe, and he seemed genuine. says the coin was gifted to him and asked me how to tell it was a fake. I told him and he thanked me - seems like another 'innocent'.

I see Joe has ended it "because there was an error in the listing" - bless him!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hibernianscribe said:

Also sent both sellers a message. Got a response from uk.pluck - signed himself Joe, and he seemed genuine. says the coin was gifted to him and asked me how to tell it was a fake. I told him and he thanked me - seems like another 'innocent'.

2 hours ago, mick1271 said:

2 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

the 2nd seller has got back to me thanking me for telling him .hasn't been removed yet though    .He said the same to me .must have wanted a 2nd opinion . glad he has removed it.

• Like 2

I noticed that bunch of fake hammered coins sold for £127!!

38 minutes ago, declan03 said:

I noticed that bunch of fake hammered coins sold for £127!!

While I think the seller is a grade one rip-off merchant I must say that if the buyer ignored the warning signs in the description given then more fool them! Mind you, it could have been a calculated gamble. Whatever, the seller has offloaded this rubbish and because of his success no doubt he'll do it again!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

Hat Off :)

He made no mention at all about the 1871 being a novelty or replica and had 5 bids from 5 different bidders he would of sold it if it wasnt for you. ;)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, declan03 said:

That was a really nice copy of that 1869 penny. Probably would have fooled me on pictures alone, although a bit too pristine looking. It would have been interesting to have had the weight and dimentions of it. I,ve bought from this seller before and to be fair he did have novelty written next to the main listing. I think there would have been a few buyers who  would have bought it for a filler for their collection. 

As Stuart said, it makes you think twice about starting a new collection when there are coins of this calibre getting into the wrong hands.

All you need to do Declan is put the pictures of the fake (copy his) next to a real one and you will see the differences from there the only other difference on all the years is obviously the date in the fake bun pennies :)

Alarm bells should ring on 1864,69,71 and 1875H in high grade that are all over ebay.

• Like 1

Thanks PWA for the info. I,ve taken a note of those dates for future reference. Always handy to know. I had a quick look about this ebay app but couldn,t find any. I would be interested inany pics there are about them.