British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

6 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

Also terrible condition for such a hefty price tag.  

This ones just plain wrong. Another one of those wonderful "metal detecting finds" 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162589701240

I don't undersand why so many people appear to hoard these copies by burying them. If you want them to be out of sight and out of mind, surely the large grey hidey-hole on wheels that gets emptied every week or two would suffice?

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rob said:

I don't undersand why so many people appear to hoard these copies by burying them. If you want them to be out of sight and out of mind, surely the large grey hidey-hole on wheels that gets emptied every week or two would suffice?

? Spot on lol. Bin it!

Now there's a mystery. Who the f**k is throwing these over the wall into his garden and, even more puzzling, why?….

• Like 1

It must be those pesky thieving magpies! 

Thieving Magpie.jpg

Edited by Ukstu

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Feel sorry for him as must have severe mental issues :o

Don't be too hard on him, he is giving free p&p!

I dont know about you lot but if i had one of those anne crowns I would love to bury it in the garden if only because of the piss poor attempt at the obverse - it looks like anne has anorexea.

With a face like that grumpy cats job is in danger as well.

I am sure queens were never as miserable looking as that

Edited by copper123
  • Like 1

I posted this one a few days ago. I've reported it. The sellers now updated the listing description to say hes " Got a bag full of them"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122598565708

In other words when them two sell he will be listing more. Unbelievable! 

Not too fussed about the contents, but I'd like some of those bags. Anything dating from 1279 ish which hasn't decomposed in the interim has to be good. :ph34r:

• Like 1

On 16/07/2017 at 7:26 PM, Rob said:

Not too fussed about the contents, but I'd like some of those bags. Anything dating from 1279 ish which hasn't decomposed in the interim has to be good. :ph34r:

Ever heard of coprolite - its fosilised dino dung.

dung.jpg

15 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Ever heard of coprolite - its fosilised dino dung.

dung.jpg

I know you claim it is coprolite and I know of this, but what are the dimples resembling a fish's lateral line? Don't tell me they are skewer marks from a prehistoric hot dog fresh off the BBQ as I won't believe you. I wouldn't expect to see regular features on any turd, new or old.

44 minutes ago, Rob said:

I know you claim it is coprolite and I know of this, but what are the dimples resembling a fish's lateral line? Don't tell me they are skewer marks from a prehistoric hot dog fresh off the BBQ as I won't believe you. I wouldn't expect to see regular features on any turd, new or old.

hey I just copied and pasted the pic off the internet i never investigated it to test it was real or looked into its history or where it was found etc .LOL

Its an old turd as far as i know

• Like 1

I think I've seen that turd in York at the Jorvik centre but I could be wrong it could be another turd  ?

Edited by Ukstu

heres another old turd  telling everyone how big his last one was

old turd.jpg

• Like 3

Them magic Westair beans are growing well! 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122598565708

Edited by Ukstu

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

hey I just copied and pasted the pic off the internet i never investigated it to test it was real or looked into its history or where it was found etc .LOL

Its an old turd as far as i know

Its an old turd as far as you have been told. You don't know, and nor do I. Have to question everything until you are happy in your own mind of the arguments for and against. Now, what are the dimples running along the middle line of said exhibit?

Bloody marvelous! I spend a few years on here learning at the feet of the Masters. Putting in my own few thoughts on exonumia from time to time. And when it comes to my turn to shine; a chance to display my arcane knowledge; what do I get? 

Dino-bloody-doodoo.

Yes coporolites.

In the early 1800s, a local girl to me, Mary Anning, was noted for finding and selling fossils from the cliffs at Lyme Regis. She is, incidentally, thought to be the subject of the tongue twister “She sells sea shells by the sea shore”

She noticed that a fossil known at that time as a bezoar stone was often found in the abdominal region of ichthyosaur skeletons found in the Lias formation at Lyme Regis. She also noted that if such stones were broken open they often contained fossilized fish bones and scales as well as sometimes bones from smaller ichthyosaurs. It was these observations by Anning that led the geologist William Buckland to propose in 1829 that the stones were fossilized feces and named them coprolites. Buckland also suspected that the spiral markings on the fossils indicated that ichthyosaurs had spiral ridges in their intestines similar to those of modern sharks.

We are, in effect, talking about rifling very much like on a modern bullet.

What we are in fact seeing is the mineralised result of a creature excreting in  an extremely specific environment. Not too moist, not too dry and probably not unlike very deep leaf mould. The first thing that our dino-turd would do involved slowly losing its internal moisture, a process that required a steady temperature over a considerable period of time. After it had become dried but not quite dessiccated minerals would leach in from the earth and the surrounding leaf mould.

Millenia later, you have a very efficient paper weight and a great talking point.

The various external bumps, ridges and grooves are a co-effect of dehydration and rifling.

You can find out more on Wikipedia, but I wrote much of that also.

Edited by bagerap
parsing

4 minutes ago, bagerap said:

Bloody marvelous! I spend a few years on here learning at the feet of the Masters. Putting in my own few thoughts on exonumia from time to time. And when it comes to my turn to shine; a chance to display my arcane knowledge; what do I get? 

Dino-bloody-doodoo.

Yes coporolites.

In the early 1800s, a local girl to me, Mary Anning, was noted for finding and selling fossils from the cliffs at Lyme Regis. She is, incidentally, thought to be the subject of the tongue twister “She sells sea shells by the sea shore”

She noticed that a fossil known at that time as a bezoar stone was often found in the abdominal region of ichthyosaur skeletons found in the Lias formation at Lyme Regis. She also noted that if such stones were broken open they often contained fossilized fish bones and scales as well as sometimes bones from smaller ichthyosaurs. It was these observations by Anning that led the geologist William Buckland to propose in 1829 that the stones were fossilized feces and named them coprolites. Buckland also suspected that the spiral markings on the fossils indicated that ichthyosaurs had spiral ridges in their intestines similar to those of modern sharks.

We are, in effect, talking about rifling very much like on a modern bullet.

What we are in fact seeing is the mineralised result of a creature excreting in  an extremely specific environment. Not too moist, not too dry and probably not unlike very deep leaf mould. The first thing that our dino-turd would do involved slowly losing its internal moisture, a process that required a steady temperature over a considerable period of time. After it had become dried but not quite dessiccated minerals would leach in from the earth and the surrounding leaf mould.

Millenia later, you have a very efficient paper weight and a great talking point.

The various external bumps, ridges and grooves are a co-effect of dehydration and rifling.

You can find out more on Wikipedia, but I wrote much of that also.

I love all this and know about Mary, I also advise Rob's caution when it comes to attributing an item!

I do agree that the example shown looks very much more like an example of paleofaeces (human byproduct). The rough and ready way to field test them is that paleofaeces will generally yield to the hammer. Coporolites don't.

On 07/17/2017 at 6:03 PM, Rob said:

Its an old turd as far as you have been told. You don't know, and nor do I. Have to question everything until you are happy in your own mind of the arguments for and against. Now, what are the dimples running along the middle line of said exhibit?

This is all a lot of S--T.....

10 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

The entire item description is worth reading, highly entertaining.

I'm particularly keen on: 'Extremely rare and SORT after'.

5 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

The entire item description is worth reading, highly entertaining.

I'm particularly keen on: 'Extremely rare and SORT after'.

I particularly liked:

"This is a 7 day once in a lifetime auction for a very rare handover coin..."

"This IS a one day auction for genuine collectors..."

:rolleyes: