British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

This guy has been getting away with this despite me reporting it to eBay on a regular basis. I've taken to removing a listing of mine every time I report him explaining they are hurting their reputation allowing fakes to be sold plus it makes it harder for the honest dealer to achieve a fair price. He has plenty of fakes he has sold openly as fakes but if you look at his feedback he's sold a suspicious amount of 1977 proof sets. Take a look at his other items too!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1851-Victoria-Shilling-Copy-FREE-UK-POSTAGE-/142362384671?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

54 minutes ago, Andrew W said:

This guy has been getting away with this despite me reporting it to eBay on a regular basis. I've taken to removing a listing of mine every time I report him explaining they are hurting their reputation allowing fakes to be sold plus it makes it harder for the honest dealer to achieve a fair price. He has plenty of fakes he has sold openly as fakes but if you look at his feedback he's sold a suspicious amount of 1977 proof sets. Take a look at his other items too!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1851-Victoria-Shilling-Copy-FREE-UK-POSTAGE-/142362384671?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

When you say honest i dont think the seller is doing anything wrong personally.

There are loads of them (fake coins) and readily available ,unfortunately its the people who resell them as genuine that are the problem and they will always find them.

Not every collector wants to spend alot of money on the genuine coin so maybe fills a gap with a copy.

If its who i think it is he has been or was a dealer for years and if not  there are boxes of decimal sets turn up regular so nothing untoward there.

Only my opinion :)

Pete.

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

I was about to say the same thing. 1933 pennies seem to be acceptable depsite being copies and the same goes for a 1952 penny or anything Edward VIII.

The best thing that most people could do is buy some examples on a regular basis so they know what copies are out there and can identify the individual characteristics. When they come from China delivered for a quid each or sometimes less, the knowledge gained far outweighs any arguments that it is money wasted. It's far cheaper than paying tens or hundreds of pounds for a dodgy piece.

• Like 1

Yes I agree that he isn't trying to sell them for a fortune, just more concerned with the fallout from it I suppose. I'm surprised people are allowed to sell fakes on eBay(or anywhere for that matter) at all.

Pete, good point about boxes of decimal sets turning up hadn't looked at it from that angle.

If you look at EBay's listing policies it stipulates that a copy should be clearly identified. In practical terms that means that copy or reproduction should be stamped into the coin when it was made. Although not the full answer to forgeries however it would stop people buying copies such as the 1903 halfcrown in the hyperlink and relisting it as genuine. I was under the impression this was the case in the US and should be the same in the UK. Of course there will always be dishonest people trying to pass off high quality forgeries of rare coins such as the 1905 halfcrown which can only be countered by forums such as this keeping a resource of known examples.

It has to be said copies of coins reduce buyer's confidence and from personal experience I have been reluctant to bid on George III & IV, and early Victoria halfcrowns because of the number of forgeries. They may be easy to detect in hand but from a photo in an ebay listing is another matter. The Edward VII and Victorian veiled head halfcrowns are much easier to detect as they are very poor copies

• Like 1

The Andorra lots are back. 

Sells anglo saxon fakes. Nearly always found in the ruins of an old house etc. Look at some of the other items he's selling. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262964240259

Edited by Ukstu

Interestingly, apart from all the TPG logos, he claims to be a life member of the ANA and to be accredited by the Better Business Bureau. The latter a strictly US organisation.

• Like 1

I know lol. His credentials are as phoney as his coins.  He's got multiple accounts. Its the same rubbish coming from the same region of spain. Apart from the negative feedback I'd hazard a guess the rest is fake feedback. 

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

Oh dear, Lukas again, not an E over P, not obverse 4, and yet already silly bids.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232324493021?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

He does have quite a nice 1864 penny though, but overpriced and under photographed.

Jerry

6 hours ago, jelida said:

Oh dear, Lukas again, not an E over P, not obverse 4, and yet already silly bids.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232324493021?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

He does have quite a nice 1864 penny though, but overpriced and under photographed.

Jerry

Seller that drives me mad as your aware Jerry a lot are wrongly attributed and that many i am sure he must know  ,although i admit to buying one off him a few weeks ago .

Edited by PWA 1967

15 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Seller that drives me mad as your aware Jerry a lot are wrongly attributed and that many i am sure he must know  ,although i admit to buying one off him a few weeks ago .

The name rang a bell for me .so I just spent nearly half an hour searching feedback to see what I had bought off him .Ends up it was only a Phillippines 10 peso emergency note for £1.20 . serves me right for being bloody nosy lol .No idea how I remembered as It was nearly a year ago  ,especially as I cant remember what I was doing 3 days ago .

Edited by mick1271

yeah same here mick....i'm flapping too a bit....not sure whether i bought off him or not....i've certainly come across him on ebay but whether i bought???? it wouldnt have been anything major but i dont like what i've read above enough to feel a bit raw.....have checked my feedback but as i rarely leave it myself theres a good chance i didnt receive any....

but thanks for the heads up guys!

prep

He has bought from me, nothing that could be mis described

just read back a few pages and am sitting here cracking up at the stuff you lot have said....though granted each time i've clicked on a link i've had a feeling of trepidation as i wait to see the dodgy gits ebay username in case i've bought from them....did about ten pages and so far its been 'phew' apart from maybe lukas mentioned above....lol

you sell on ebay bagerap?

p

On 5/7/2017 at 0:59 AM, jelida said:

Jerry

Its a shame its now at this kind of money for something thats RANG :(

On 30/04/2017 at 11:10 PM, HistoricCoinage said:

Love the description! For this rare coin he has had many customers, and they've presumably had replacement fakes to swap with the 'genuine' encapsulated coin before returning? What naughty crooks, trying to rip this honourable eBay seller off, I honestly don't know what the world's coming to! Thank goodness he and eBay have a good working relationship, and are able to halt these fraudulent customers in their tracks! :D

"Accept all the returns without any question and for any reason but in the same status I send, over all the authentication box must be unopened. Some customers have opened the box, returned me and later ebay and me have catched them selling the coin again. So, no exception."

• Like 3

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!! RESPECT!

10 minutes ago, Sword said:

Awful portrait and outrageous price. But at least the seller said it was silver plated. 

That's right. He isn't lying, but neither is he being very informative.

Pointed out the WRL stamped into this coin and hinted it might be a modern replica...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cromwellian-Coin-/122499880839?hash=item1c858fd787:g:nXgAAOSwSypZAG~N

Got called 'sunshine' and then told 'Carnt see this being a copy it was passed down from my grandad to my mother and now my mother has passed away I am selling her collection" :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I pointed out the other day to a seller trying to start an auction at £49.99 for a Elizabeth I shilling that it was a replica and marked WRL. 

His response was "Oh yeah so it is thanks for telling me"

That was at 10am. Anyway it was still listed at 4pm as being a heavy silver Elizabethian 1500s coin so i msged him back telling him to change the listing or pull it as I'd told him it was a replica and he'd acknowledged it was.

Got no response so i msged him again telling him i was going to post his item on the coin forums i use with a screengrab of my dialogue with him showing people that he was a crook trying to sell a replica coin as a genuine one to unsuspecting members of the public. 

10 minutes later it was listed as a WRL coin although he still expects bidding to start at £49.99. 

From now on i am taking this approach with people as reporting it to Ebay does bugger all. 

• Like 1