British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Country/Region of Manufacture:Andorra

Getting closer to the source it seems, and as a bonus, it explains the MANUEL ON AND mint signature. Only one question remains. Why on earth did Harold get his coins struck in Andorra when he had ample facilities in Britain?

Edited by Rob

On 02/14/2017 at 6:17 PM, Rob said:

Do they give PR numbers of less than 60? I thought they reverted to F, VF, XF, AU irrespective of whether it was a proof or not? Could be wrong though

PR (PROOF) vs MS (MINT STATE) & also SP (SPECIMEN) is only a designation of the TYPE of strike.

The NUMBER following is the NUMERICAL designation of the GRADE assigned to the coin.

Each portion (MS/SP/PR) & (01-70) speaks to a different aspect of the coin itself.

The first portion, (MS/SP/PR), tells the viewer what TYPE of controls or constraints under which the coin was struck. That is to say, what TYPE of strike it is.

The second portion, the number (01-70), is merely a numerical designation of an assignment or assessment of the coins condition, in other words, how much wear it has experienced.  This numerical designation has a specific correlation to specific word grades.

Hence, taken together, you can know the TYPE of strike AND the CONDITION of the coin from those 4 characters.

I am using the Sheldon 01-70 system as my example. For CGS/LCGS just substitute 01-100 for 01-70.

I hope I didn't confuse the issue even more.....  Just 2 independent aspects of the entire designation.

Although a very nice coin, I think the vendor may be somewhat ambitious with the price he's asking. 

I mean, c'mon, you're 'avin a larf my son :lol:

link

2 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Although a very nice coin, I think the vendor may be somewhat ambitious with the price he's asking. 

link

Could be right. It's possible it just fell out the mint as there's a mark in front of Britannia's helmet.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

link

:D 

That guy's prices are always very high. Same guy that takes pictures of pictures on his computer screen to use in the listing, which baffles me.

• Like 1

Contorted methods (or downgrading a simple method) usually mean there's something to hide.

16 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

:D 

That guy's prices are always very high. Same guy that takes pictures of pictures on his computer screen to use in the listing, which baffles me.

What you mean literally photographs the screen? That's plain odd.

Why not just take a screenshot?

1 minute ago, 1949threepence said:

What you mean literally photographs the screen? That's plain odd.

Why not just take a screenshot?

For example, and another example.

Yeah, just bizzare. 

• Like 2

I am pretty sure this seller buys off someone I know and uses their photos along with a significant mark up on their original purchase price.

Just had a run in with Torcoins - ebay recently, complete ignoramus.. Makes me wonder does he have possession of half the coins he sells as it's dodgy pictures of a screen..  No thanks mate

1 hour ago, Nonmortuus said:

I am pretty sure this seller buys off someone I know and uses their photos along with a significant mark up on their original purchase price.

Maybe you should alert that someone you know and ask if it's coins he's sold to him :)

Edited by azda

21 minutes ago, azda said:

Maybe you should alert that someone you know and ask if it's coins he's sold to him :)

I'm pretty sure you know him too Azda, he is on many of the FB groups :)

1 hour ago, JamieB said:

Just had a run in with Torcoins - ebay recently, complete ignoramus.. Makes me wonder does he have possession of half the coins he sells as it's dodgy pictures of a screen..  No thanks mate

Were you the negative feedback?

On checking my feedback, I note that I have actually bought a coin from him in the past. It was my 1869. Bought 2nd October 2015.

Edited by 1949threepence

42 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

On checking my feedback, I note that I have actually bought a coin from him in the past. It was my 1869. Bought 2nd October 2015.

That might have been the 1869 (VF) that I sold him in 2015. He is a really goofy guy! Very unprofessional!

36 minutes ago, RLC35 said:

That might have been the 1869 (VF) that I sold him in 2015. He is a really goofy guy! Very unprofessional!

Was it this one, Bob?

reverse 1869.jpg

obverse 1869.jpg

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I haven't bought from him just queried a sale with him in the past.. He has some beauties for sale no doubt but pictures of screens is a little dodgy for me.  

Jamie

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Was it this one, Bob?

reverse 1869.jpg

obverse 1869.jpg

No MIke, That isn't mine. Yours has a little better shield, than mine had.

• Like 1

This coin has been flagged on NGC as a possible fake, he's also sold this previously but never sent it and the buyer is still waiting on his cash back, so also a possible hacked account, just a warning

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gold-1-4-oz-Panda-1982-NGC-MS68-First-Year-of-issue-/152453828214?hash=item237ef4ce76:g:a0sAAOSwTglYkGtq

17 minutes ago, HistoricCoinage said:

This guy is hilarious! See his only other item on sale for £1680

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/am32-885885-five-pound-note-/112323083796?hash=item1a26fa3e14:g:WTIAAOSwA3dYm6Q6

It's not a Jane Austen £5 but it is "very close to it". Serial number AM32 885885. (The Austen notes have numbers 885551 - 885554.)

I have some old lotto tickets. They are not jackpot winners but are very close and only a few numbers out. Anyone want to give me £10k each? Bargain at less than 1% of the jackpot! 

15 minutes ago, Sword said:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/am32-885885-five-pound-note-/112323083796?hash=item1a26fa3e14:g:WTIAAOSwA3dYm6Q6

It's not a Jane Austen £5 but it is "very close to it". Serial number AM32 885885. (The Austen notes have numbers 885551 - 885554.)

I have some old lotto tickets. They are not jackpot winners but are very close and only a few numbers out. Anyone want to give me £10k each? Bargain at less than 1% of the jackpot! 

:lol: Sword, ok, very funny, ok.

"ive an am32 885885. five pound note. its in gd condition ok. its not a jane austen ok. but its the best yr going to get near one ok. that's why im asking £1.680. for it ok. ovno ok. no time waisters ok. gd luck to y all ok. plus I only deal in my bank ok. this note is very close to a jane austen note."

14 minutes ago, Sword said:

Can I pay u with my winnings, ok! :D 

25 minutes ago, Sword said:

Geezus, some people shouldn't be allowed on the internet let alone ebay......ok

1 hour ago, HistoricCoinage said:

I would like these, but think the best price should be negotiated by bartering. I will offer one Oxford English dictionary, and a copy of the English language curriculum for pre-school years :huh:

The fiver bears no resemblance to Jane Austen - neither Her Maj, nor the talking fat dog to her left.

Edited by Rob

OK guys, what do you think of this:

This guy has 100% positive feedback.

229 feedbacks in total.

Wait for it ...

All 229 are for buying and 0 for selling!!! :wacko::o:unsure:

• Like 1