British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

I'm going to pass. I'm not sure I want to revive that one.

Glad it's high grade with full lustre.

You wouldn't want to buy a crap one.

• Like 1

I wonder how he would grade one in poor condition?

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

I wonder how he would grade one in poor condition?

FDC?

The condition is absolutely appalling and he's being blatently dishonest in his listing. But come on... Mo posting to Merseyside. I'm sure ebay wouldn't approve! 

30 minutes ago, Mynki said:

The condition is absolutely appalling and he's being blatently dishonest in his listing. But come on... Mo posting to Merseyside. I'm sure ebay wouldn't approve! 

Why don't you message him and ask him what his issue with Merseyside is, then post back on here?

Edited by 1949threepence

11 hours ago, Paulus said:

FDC?

Of course, since FDC means 'f*cking Dreadful Condition'.

On 10/12/2016 at 11:10 AM, 1949threepence said:

Why don't you message him and ask him what his issue with Merseyside is, then post back on here?

He is saying that 8 items he sent to Merseyside went missing.

I had a look at his other items yesterday for amusement and you might want to check out  a coin he describes as "fabulous". 

His items are not currently showing on ebay. Might be he is revising the descriptions ... ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sword said:

He is saying that 8 items he sent to Merseyside went missing.

I had a look at his other items yesterday for amusement and you might want to check out  a coin he describes as "fabulous". 

His items are not currently showing on ebay. Might be he is revising the descriptions ... ;)

Knew there had to be a logical reason :ph34r: 

A little misleading from this eBay seller IMO, just because it says RD on the slab doesn't make it the finest known 1912H as there is 4 others in the same grade with RB on.....

IMG_3011.PNG

1 hour ago, azda said:

A little misleading from this eBay seller IMO, just because it says RD on the slab doesn't make it the finest known 1912H as there is 4 others in the same grade with RB on.....

IMG_3011.PNG

I can tell you it isn't the single finest MS65 from PCGS, because I also have one from PCGS also.

42 minutes ago, RLC35 said:

I can tell you it isn't the single finest MS65 from PCGS, because I also have one from PCGS also.

Exactly what I said Bob, there is 4 MS65 RB and 1 MS65 RD, he's saying his RD is superior, so I asked him since when did people start buying letter deaignated slabs in stead of the number, so I was asked to check the PCGS website for superiority letters and RD means 95% min red and RB 5-95% red, so in theory all 5 MS grades can be the same as there is no percentage of colour rating on the slabs.

• Like 1

It is the larger 5 so Large date, pleased to see it only has a Pop of 1

3 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

9.5 tooth width to a SD, and 11 tooth width to a wide date...so it looks like a small (narrow) date. Also their is a small 7 and a long 7 in that year. The long 7 is the scarcest. The one shown is a small 7. 

• Like 1

Just now, RLC35 said:

9.5 tooth width to a SD, and 11 tooth width to a wide date...so it looks like a small (narrow) date. Also their is a small 7 and a long 7 in that year. The long 7 is the scarcest. The one shown is a small 7. 

Thanks, I hadn't realised there were two different 7s - the LCA auction picture I looked at had the long 7. Do you get both 7s in wide and narrow date?

1 minute ago, mrbadexample said:

Thanks, I hadn't realised there were two different 7s - the LCA auction picture I looked at had the long 7. Do you get both 7s in wide and narrow date?

Not sure about that MrBad. Get on Michael Gouby's web site and go to the 1857 penny, he has pics of all of the varieties. (Michael-coins,co.uk)

Thanks Bob, I'll take a look. :)

Edit: All is now clear. :D

Edited by mrbadexample

On 12/15/2016 at 9:15 PM, azda said:

Exactly what I said Bob, there is 4 MS65 RB and 1 MS65 RD, he's saying his RD is superior, so I asked him since when did people start buying letter deaignated slabs in stead of the number, so I was asked to check the PCGS website for superiority letters and RD means 95% min red and RB 5-95% red, so in theory all 5 MS grades can be the same as there is no percentage of colour rating on the slabs.

This seller is starting to get on my nerves again with the prices .

He has a standard 1895 that is worth £100 maximum currently at £320 with twenty three bids .

Good luck to him but cant understand people bidding so high on a MS 64 common coin.

8 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

This seller is starting to get on my nerves again with the prices .

He has a standard 1895 that is worth £100 maximum currently at £320 with twenty three bids .

Good luck to him but cant understand people bidding so high on a MS 64 common coin.

It seems if it's PCGS slabbed and the colours are tweaked (compare the seller pics v the PCGS pics) you can triple your money!

Just now, Nonmortuus said:

It seems if it's PCGS slabbed and the colours are tweaked (compare the seller pics v the PCGS pics) you can triple your money!

Yes Paul maybe :)

Just been talking to someone who told me there are collectors in America who will pay a premium for the lowest graded if really RANG :o

48 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Just been talking to someone who told me there are collectors in America who will pay a premium for the lowest graded if really RANG :o

Yep. If it is the lowest grade possible, it will command a premium.

From a personal point of view, I would be interested in how the TPG determines it is due to genuine wear and not tampered with/environmentally damaged/excessively scratched etc. I suspect the with the exception of corrosion, they will be unable to differentiate, so, for those washers capable of commanding a premium to the cost of slabbing and the intrinsic value of the scrap metal - use human stupidity to your advantage and fill yer boots.

I know the buyer of this one, he does some youtube videos on his purchases, watched him unwrap it and the colour was nowhere near what was pictured. He's tweaking his pictures obviously because Americans love colour and thinks it will enhance the price. I'm surprised no one has left him a neutral or negative for the pictures not being like the coin in hand.......

Screenshot 2016-12-17 19.55.29.png

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Yep. If it is the lowest grade possible, it will command a premium.

From a personal point of view, I would be interested in how the TPG determines it is due to genuine wear and not tampered with/environmentally damaged/excessively scratched etc. I suspect the with the exception of corrosion, they will be unable to differentiate, so, for those washers capable of commanding a premium to the cost of slabbing and the intrinsic value of the scrap metal - use human stupidity to your advantage and fill yer boots.

Think as far as collecting coins goes this is probably the daftest thing i have ever heard that people will pay more for the lowest grade possible :rolleyes: