British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

7 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Most people tend to be nice though and smile when you give them a few quid.

These are AKA salespeople :lol:

Well got the go ahead off the wife last week to buy an Undated 20p. Seen a nice example on Ebay, Undated 20p Coin No Date Mule Royal Mint Error VERY RARE CGS 70

Item no: 222271666303. Bid and won for a respectable price. On contacting the seller after paying instantly he said he was suprised to hear from me as he had already sold it and the buyer had recieved it today!!!!!!!! To add insult to injury he then said I could go on to PayPal and get them to refund, no "sorry I will Refund you straight away". I have asked him to explain why he is so shocked. He had it up on Ebay for auction. I beat other bidders to win it and he sells it somewhere else while the auction is ongoing. He has not replied.
Edited by bhx7

16 minutes ago, bhx7 said:

Well got the go ahead off the wife last week to buy an Undated 20p. Seen a nice example on Ebay, Undated 20p Coin No Date Mule Royal Mint Error VERY RARE CGS 70

Item no: 222271666303. Bid and won for a respectable price. On contacting the seller after paying instantly he said he was suprised to hear from me as he had already sold it and the buyer had recieved it today!!!!!!!! To add insult to injury he then said I could go on to PayPal and get them to refund, no "sorry I will Refund you straight away". I have asked him to explain why he is so shocked. He had it up on Ebay for auction. I beat other bidders to win it and he sells it somewhere else while the auction is ongoing. He has not replied.

Not only that, the coin is not slabbed, misleading at the very least to describe it as CGS 70!

• Like 1

I had assumed these had been his previous pics prior to having it slabbed, or that he had broken it out and had some paper work. However I was looking more at the coin and thought it looked better than many others up for sale. Reasonably clear fields and nice sharp detail.

9 minutes ago, bhx7 said:

I had assumed these had been his previous pics prior to having it slabbed, or that he had broken it out and had some paper work. However I was looking more at the coin and thought it looked better than many others up for sale. Reasonably clear fields and nice sharp detail.

He might not even know what CGS70 means. He might just have googled "20p Coin No Date" and the words "CGS70" and "mule" just came up with it.

• Like 1

And no mention of CGS on the new listing.

I found another like this, where the seller had added a CGS grade, but it had not passed through CGS. I messaged the seller who said it was an error and took it off. The same may have happened here, or he didn't like the price it went for.

Deserves to get some very poor feedback from you. Liar. 

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, azda said:

You should also report him to eBay as he's clearly in breach of the rules

That'll see him quaking at the knees, not.

Is anybody aware of an instance in which eBay actually backed up their rhetoric with action? Or is this just a malicious rumour spread about by their script writers?

3 minutes ago, RLC35 said:

Somewhat ironically, it probably is a genuine rarity if the mintage figures of 100K or 200K for the real thing are to be believed. The Chinese will make them to order, and I suspect that levels have not yet reached the 100K mark.

• Like 1

I know I will get my money back so have no worries there. But just annoyed that I have been told to wait till the 15th then they can sort something out. He told me via the Ebay messaging service that he has already sold it and was suprised to see my message. I am not a bloody mind reader for idiots.

My wife being who she is decided to look into the other seller who is now selling the same coin. He has actually used these pictures before and sold the coin at the end of September. He then split the pictures into 2 and relisted the same coin a few weeks later, and so on.... Don't know what the scam is but definately something a little dodgey going on there!

• Like 1

Geez, the Chinese are even  copyimg the 20p mule. @bhx7 are you sure it's even genuine?

3 minutes ago, azda said:

Geez, the Chinese are even  copyimg the 20p mule. @bhx7 are you sure it's even genuine?

Yes it was but noticed the amount of fakes!!!

1 hour ago, bhx7 said:

Sorry it happened to you Brian i would of been pissed off not really about the coin / money just the principle.

Keep smiling mate :)

As far as the fakes no doubt people using a picture of a real one and sending out a copy.........Sad :(

• Like 1

It's not an Open 3 however I concede the penny has a horizontal lower leg in the 3 and I’ve seen in other worn examples. Is this something that happens due to wear?

Edited by jacinbox

On 10/10/2016 at 9:34 PM, azda said:

You should also report him to eBay as he's clearly in breach of the rules

No bids on auction starting at £79, now relisted as an auction starting at £100 ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-UNDATED-20P-COIN-GENUINE-MULE-MINT-ERROR-/182314378297?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Edited by Paulus

16 minutes ago, Paulus said:

No bids on auction starting at £79, now relisted as an auction starting at £100 ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-UNDATED-20P-COIN-GENUINE-MULE-MINT-ERROR-/182314378297?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

If it wasn't snapped up at £79 then it won't be snapped up at £100 :blink:

He'll be lucky if he makes £100 there are others starting at £42 and another after 11 bids has only got to £82. I can't understand people paying that sort of money for a modern coin. Save it and buy a VF 1895 crown for £50 (only 250K minted), have money left over to take the Missus for a pub lunch, and still have an ounce of solid silver in your pocket as well as a beautiful coin.

I would rather dip my Johnson in boiling water than bid on this tat.

We can take that as a No then Peter?  :rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, bagerap said:

We can take that as a No then Peter?  :rolleyes:

Not necesarily, it might reflect the significance/usefulness of his Johnson. Could be past its sell by date. At least the tat can be resold.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I would rather dip my Johnson in boiling water than bid on this tat.

You may have stumbled upon a new type of thermometer there Peter, dip the Johnson in, if you scream, it's hot B)