British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

It isn't rare. For that sort of money you would need to be looking at a French arms at date

9 hours ago, Rob said:

That has to be shilled. It's a 200-300 coin with the scratch on the nose, or maybe that's the rare variety

Normally he gets a trigger finger on his gold, seems he's also having a go at the silver. Its a fairly common coin, in top grade i think max £500 in UNC is around it's price as it's nothing special apart from a bit of tone and that doesn't cost an extra £748 attached is the actual coin as per PCGS pictures, notice the difference in tone, heavily corrected in photoshop or whatever other software he uses. MP the II, if you scroll through this thread i highlighted where he had shilled up his auctions to the tune of 19k, the same winning bidder on all of them, 30mins after posting he had deleted all the auctions and had left 3 BINs

This highlights the downfall of LCGS, being able to check the UIN against the population report, if people would check sometimes against his silver auctions you'd see a totally different coloured coin, it's joint 8th in their population report, in fact the auction record for one of these was $1265 sold at heritage for an MS65 sold 25th May 2012

Screenshot 2016-10-10 07.22.27.png

Edited by azda

That's cheeky, manipulating the TPG images.. Although he didn't hide the UIN in the photos :wacko:

1 minute ago, Nordle11 said:

That's cheeky, manipulating the TPG images.. Although he didn't hide the UIN in the photos :wacko:

He manipulates all his coin pictures to make them look more toned than they actually are because certain buyers like toned slabs

12 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

I thought that too, initially.  But it's clear that the images on the eBay item and the TPG images are taken with different lighting.

Def not pcgs images used, I don't think he alters any images just enhances the colours in Photoshop. Heritage do the same 

3 minutes ago, mhcoins said:

Def not pcgs images used, I don't think he alters any images just enhances the colours in Photoshop. Heritage do the same 

Surely enhancing the colour is altering the image?

11 minutes ago, mhcoins said:

I think you're right Alan, the coin he sold doesn't appear to be the same coin as the PCGS image as there's no scratch on the nose of the slabbed coin as far as i can see, so what has he sold? After a second look, it is the same coin

Edited by azda

Sorry i meant he uses his own photographs not PCGS's.

He always gets incredible prices, last week i watched a 1798 Guinea PCGS MS61 go from £672 with less than a minute to go, jump up to £1,340. 

Screenshot%202016-10-10%2011.02.58.png

Some typical prices 8th Sept 2016

MS64 $325

image33203.jpg

MS64 Aug 2016 $360

image22442.jpg

MS63 10th AUG 2016

image22443.jpg

Morton and Eden 13th July 2016 graded as EF £240 hammer

image00675.jpg

25 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

Surely enhancing the colour is altering the image?

I meant in terms of hiding any faults, technically yes making the colours brighter in PS is altering an image but the colours are there, you cant add them in, in my experience useless they are evident in the original picture. 

I was looking at the Spink recent sale catalogue and their photographer appears to edit all images (of the same metal) using one setting, all the coins have a similar gold colour. I generally treat every coin when editing individually. 

2 minutes ago, mhcoins said:

I meant in terms of hiding any faults, technically yes making the colours brighter in PS is altering an image but the colours are there, you cant add them in, in my experience useless they are evident in the original picture. 

I was looking at the Spink recent sale catalogue and their photographer appears to edit all images (of the same metal) using one setting, all the coins have a similar gold colour. I generally treat every coin when editing individually. 

The colour is there, but he's accentuating to the max to make it look more colourful than it would appear in hand. There's still no way it should be away up at that end of the scale in terms of price though

Edited by azda

i agree the price is stupid but IF its a genuine sale someone clearly thinks its a good buy whether shill bidding has occured or not

That is probably just a mismatch of white balance in the camera which causes a colour cast for a particular light source.

the winning bidder on the Shilling is  S**S (105)   the same as two coins i watched last week ;)

i agree the price is stupid but IF its a genuine sale someone clearly thinks its a good buy whether shill bidding has occured or not

Agreed, but again it seems that every bidder seems think that of Jon' coins as apparently they ALL seem to head off into the stratosphere :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, mhcoins said:

the winning bidder on the Shilling is  S**S (105)   the same as two coins i watched last week ;)

Consistent to say the least, is there feedback from that buyer for the coins you watched last week?

9 minutes ago, Nick said:
9 minutes ago, azda said:

Consistent to say the least, is there feedback from that buyer for the coins you watched last week?

Strangley enough all the other coins sold that day have feedback yet those two dont ???

1 minute ago, mhcoins said:

;) a name to keep an eye on then :rolleyes:

I must admit that I've purchased from Jon (off ebay) before and he seemed like a really nice guy. His pricing however is rather optimistic.

Edited by jacinbox

I am sure he is Gary although i have never met him or bought from him.

Most people tend to be nice though and smile when you give them a few quid.

He does sell some really nice coins though :) just the prices always seem high on ebay.