British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

:lol: Peter, just read your post!

What a shocker of a toned list that is, TG! Satisfying to see by the bidding that they aren't appreciated by anyone else either.

Pete, I think it was something to do with 'something' and heat (oven possibly)? I can't remember now, though have read about it in the past. Never stuck in my mind as useful for anything, surprisingly! :)

Can someone tell me what makes them that terrible colour ?.

People on Coin Community were suggesting a blowtorch! But, yes, heating by some means or other does sound quite possible.

Somewhat appropriately, when I clicked on the link, a pop-up appeared advertising an update to CCleaner. :) Computers are more intelligent than I imagined.

Still, he does at least explain that he artifically tones these coins, unlike many 'rainbow toned' examples that are claimed to be the result of natural processes!!

It frightens me that Rswipes will pay a premium for this crap.

Agreed a price I was happy with for this Liz I Sixpence off an eBay BIN seller, you may have seen my pics asking for opinions a week or 2 ago:

1562_SX_sellers_02_zpsmpfagu9z.png

When the coin arrived it was this:

1562_SX_Copy_01_zps4k8utjqb.png

Obviously I immediately informed the seller that I will be returning it and asked for the return address.

This scammer is claiming I did receive the genuine coin and that I am scamming him/her! Description states 'No Returns'.

In case readers of this were not aware, as long as you pay through eBay / Paypal, if the item is not as described then eBay will always side with the buyer who wants to return it, even refunding them in full (including postage) if the seller has 'taken the money and run'. The seller cannot simply state 'no returns' and expect that to stand.

One of the things I do like about eBay is their Buyer Protection guarantee (as a buyer ... as a seller things aren't so great!) ... I also phoned to check and got through (quickly) to a knowledgable support person who confirmed 100% that I would be refunded. It begs a question regarding dishonest buyers though ...

I will post whether things go as expected (full refund) or something else ... after all, there is no proof I have not done as the seller claims!

I have over 2000 eBay coin transactions and less than 10 with any problems whatsoever, so in case you are wondering, that is why I still use eBay as a buying and selling option.

Happy days :)

Oh dear.

Do you have the original listing link? Who is the seller?

Not someone who sells coins normally, but no negative feedback and the communication I had with them coupled with the buyer protection guarantee reassured me sufficiently to take a punt

link

Edited by Paulus

Presumably the description

Nicely toned and with a superb portrait this 1562 Milled Sixpence weighs 2.85 grams, measures approx. 27 mm and has Mintmark Star. Super coin and scarce in such nice condition.

was a direct copy from an auction/website listing?

No doubt, and the pics too, but I haven't located them (and can't be bothered to spend any more time doing so, it's such an obvious scam)

Interesting one though, there is never any proof of what was in a package that is posted, or of what was received and signed for the other end, plenty of opportunities for the dishonest 'my word against theirs' brigade

Ebay buyers - beware when not paying through Paypal via the eBay links!

Confident this will have a happy ending for me, and that the seller, not knowing the eBay rules, will get an unpleasant shock in a few days' time!

Seems sellers has moved into coins, on completed items , he listed your sixpence 3 times

on the same day ( sold once ) also a Henry groat ( not sold ) and another similar Milled

Elizabeth Sixpence listed 2 times ( sold once ) . Wonder what the buyer of that one got ?

A couple of times recently when I wasn't quite sure what I might receive (such has when the package seemed too light to contain a coin - it didn't, it was an invoice and the coin arrived the next day) I've used my phone to take a short video of me opening the package. Not a guaranteed means of protection, but I'm guessing it could be sent to eBay as evidence.

Fortunately no nasty surprises for me, yet.

Good luck Paul and let us know how it goes.

Not someone who sells coins normally, but no negative feedback and the communication I had with them coupled with the buyer protection guarantee reassured me sufficiently to take a punt

link

What a f.&€@.:g tosser. Ebay should Do something about People like this as well an those who claim not to have Received an item but have. Ebay really does my Head in.

link

What a f.&€@.:g tosser. Ebay should Do something about People like this as well an those who claim not to have Received an item but have. Ebay really does my Head in.

Yeah could not agree more bang out of order .

The photos were lifted from Tony Clayton's site. http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/pics/six1.html

Searching Google Images for '1562 Milled Sixpence' I found the pics to be No.1 Row 1.

Brilliant, thanks Michael :)

Now you can phone ebay again and Tell them that his intent was obviously to defraud. He in theory should be banned and the police informed, but he'll just get a pat on the back and maybe a month ban for being a good boy.

More likely a better luck next time given the amount ebay/paypal will receive

Paul, make sure you leave a negative comment before ebay deal with it, after they do I don't think feedback can be left

Thanks for the tip, I'll certainly be following it up once I am refunded, probably a waste of energy though

Update...

After the time allotted to allow the seller to amicably resolve things with me (which they made no attempt to do), eBay immediately refunded me in full (including postage), and sent me a prepaid tracked return postage pdf printout to attach to the Jiffy into which I placed the replica item. So I am only out of pocket for the cost of my own packaging, and of course the inconvenience and disappointment.

Very negative eBay feedback left for this fraudulent seller, whom, if I have the time and the inclination, I will also report to Suffolk police and the fraud people (whoever they are these days).

Very impressed with eBay's customer service for me as a buyer with an issue, but left feeling that if I had been dishonest and the seller had been honest, then the seller would be right to feel seriously aggrieved! It is after all just my word against theirs as to what was sent and received.

In this instance we have a very clear cut case of a dishonest eBay seller who has started to dabble in coins (although an eBay search just now reveals nothing for sale, hopefully that means they are banned).

Name and shame

eBay name : josiephmk12

Paypal email: dirtydancer22001@yahoo.co.uk

Business name: Brenda Kennedy

Hopefully he/she will realise that if you describe and picture a coin in an eBay sale that is nothing like what is actually sent to the buyer, there is some comeback!

Let's hope they haven't got the 'intelligence' to notice this can work in reverse! Beware any large sales to this person!

A general address would be useful, Paul? Are you able to access the return address from PP, just a street and town would do?

Oh, and phew for you! :)

Just a word of advice Paul, there are many fakes of Liz milled coinage without "copy" or "WRL" stamped on them, I'd only buy those from reputable dealers or auction houses. Glad it's resolved for you, it's a lot of money to lose had it come to that.