British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

The J1 shilling i posted was graded raw as XF by heritage and was Sold by them in April 2013 and sold for $969 plus commission @ 20%? works out To around £750 but i'm sure this same coin was in a British auction last year with a £1000 price Tag. The ebay one has worn beads plus Kings head also has wear, there's also a couple of OBV field scratches, 1 running from The beard outwards and one from The part worn beads, inwards.

Being VERY critical i know, but if i was spending £1250 Then i should be, its not GEF for me, i'm in The GVF camp and The price is ouchy for the grade, sorry Neil.

Your 3d is a nice grade and i normally try and compare coins to get a Feel for grade, my ER I groat was graded as GVF and i'd say your 3d was up there. You kept it VERY quiet, why are'nt you keeping it? I've made my bid on it anyway :)

The REV of the heritage coin i's attached

post-5057-0-24032100-1426374347_thumb.jp

Edited by azda

So I sent this ebayer a message about his coin

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321694714745?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26ghostText%3D%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D321694714745%26_rdc%3D1

He's graded it as GVF and I know mine to be better than this this and felt it was 1 full grade overgraded. I sent him 1 message and got 3 back

Message number 1

Ok!

Message number 2

Your coin are in NEF!!!

And message 3, bear in mind i emailed ONLY once

Your Germany U don't know F all about coins conidtion it gettin annoying me and telling me what to do just bog off don't message me with idiot question

Are they all neandrethals?

Edited by azda

What did your message say Dave?

Hi, looking at your grade on this shilling of GVF, its a bit generous. Even though it has a round flan the bust is far to worn as is the REV shield. I've attached my GVF to compare the difference. I'd rate yours at NVF.

Regards

Don't tell him you're a Scot, that might send him over the edge! :)

Again, it's that thing about grade and value! The face of the 3B is mostly soft in the sixth coinage, take a look at my old example here http://george-coins.co.uk/Elizabeth-I-ABell-Shilling-P3128309.aspx

His isn't so bad, it's just a bitty, not very pretty, kind of coin.

Was your's an A, I can't remember now?

Edit: By bitty I mean clogged beads, unbalanced weaknesses, and scruffy at the edge. :)

Edited by Coinery

Mine is Tun Stewie, but even giving for this and that it's still not a GVF coin. A GVF coin is one of those that if you see one and don't own an example you'd try and purchase it, I've 2 of those in my collection where i never really blinked when i bought them due to The grade, why is it though when you offer advice that people become territorial, it's not his wife i described, it's a coin, Then to get nasty and think i was German who apparently cannot grade according to him just Shows what a retard and of low Intelligence he is.

Thank god i don't live over there anymore

I don't think it is specific to this country, rather I think part of the problem is there are too many trying to make a living from eBay. It's no longer the preserve of casual sellers because people now realise that you don't get anywhere near book value in all bar a few cases. They also take the book as gospel. They also think they can grade. In many cases they also have the 'rare' variety, and if they don't will soon find something that makes it one. There is potentially so much at stake relative to salary which is why they feel defensive. As always, from politician to salesman, it is inevitably a case of style over substance. Most people don't get very successful or make themselves popular by giving an honest opinion. I have been there before. :)

I don't think it is specific to this country, rather I think part of the problem is there are too many trying to make a living from eBay. It's no longer the preserve of casual sellers because people now realise that you don't get anywhere near book value in all bar a few cases. They also take the book as gospel. They also think they can grade. In many cases they also have the 'rare' variety, and if they don't will soon find something that makes it one. There is potentially so much at stake relative to salary which is why they feel defensive. As always, from politician to salesman, it is inevitably a case of style over substance. Most people don't get very successful or make themselves popular by giving an honest opinion. I have been there before. :)

Talking straight is one of my best traits, a lot of people dislike it, but why bullshit. Many years ago my best buddy asked me my opinion of his new girlfriend (wrong move) she was one of those that if you had a spanner she was a mechanic and if you were a good dancer then she was ballroom Champion, in other words she was full of shit.

I'd also had a few beers at The time of telling him what i saw, he basically dismissed it as me being drunk, 2 children later and a lot of tears i had to console him on their split, i Did'nt say "told you so" though.

People as you say Rob are blinkered, i May be wrong about The 2 coins i've discussed in The last 24hrs but its my honest opinion, i've seen better on both ocassions and graded lower, but if yiu're trying to pluck out The good stuff a great deal of care and attention and an eye for detail gradually becomes 2nd nature, i'm not perfect, but i know what i want.

Then to get nasty and think i was German who apparently cannot grade according to him just Shows what a retard and of low Intelligence he is.

Totally agree with you on this point!

And totally on your wavelength re being hyper-critical, I'm exactly the same, and wouldn't be interested in either of the 2 coins you've recently flagged up!

Keep talking that straight talk, Sir! It keeps a healthy debate going about these issues of hammered grading and quality!

It's great to have a bit more hammered banter on here! Even Paulus is 'getting it'! We'll soon have him fully converted! ;)

Yes, keep voicing your honest opinions Dave, it's one of the things I like about this Forum! :)

Yes, keep voicing your honest opinions Dave, it's one of the things I like about this Forum! :)

I'll do my best to piss everyone off in turn ;) Some people just dislike straight talking, ESPECIALLY when it comes to their coins

Why would ANYONE want this piece of poo at any cost more than scrap value? Some things baffle me!

link

Edited by Paulus

Why would ANYONE want this piece of poo at any cost more than scrap value? Some things baffle me!

link

I guess sometimes you have to accept a really poor specimen in order to fill a gap, or because there aren't any others available, but in the case of a gothic crown there's always plenty of them. So, as you say, why would anybody want this one?

Edited by DaveG38

I would rather have a replica than that, you wouldn't want to look at it on a regular basis would you? Just don't get it sometimes! It ticks zero boxes for me, but I kinda guess it could for a completionist who insisted on genuine coins ... I realise the mindset of a type collector like myself is going to be very different to that of a completionist ... mind you I will need a Gothic crown for my type collection!!!

link

In answer to The question i'd say because it's relatively cheap and an Icon of Victoria coinage. Perhaps The buyer is another Scott and does'nt have The 4 figures required to ever scratch a large itch. It is ugly though

link

In answer to The question i'd say because it's relatively cheap and an Icon of Victoria coinage. Perhaps The buyer is another Scott and does'nt have The 4 figures required to ever scratch a large itch. It is ugly though

It must be a different mindset to mine, it might fill the gap but I would never want to look at it again! Each to his or her own!! Every keeper I have must be pleasing, and that includes some coins with obvious problems!

I've never studied the dies of this type (I'm sure it's cosha?), but what a good way to make a couple of hundred quid on an alibaba coin? Mash it up a bit ,cut the edge off a bit, solder on a couple silver findings (jewellery bits to everyone else), wear it down a bit, give it a bit of .925 silver wash and, hey presto, £300...thank-you very much!

Northumberland shilling next! Where's me chisel and that bit of silver solder gone?

There is a real and present danger to our hobby, for sure. If TPGs were a guarantee of authenticity that would be great, but they are not. I am inclined to carry out a few market tests, with experienced TPGs, auction houses and dealers. This is very undermining.

link

Love the under bidder 97% bids with the seller out of 576 bids in the last month :rolleyes:

link

Love the under bidder 97% bids with the seller out of 576 bids in the last month :rolleyes:

Looks like protection bidding to ensure a minimum sale price is achieved. But don't worry, eBay have "sophisticated" systems in place to catch this sort of thing. ;)

link

It must be a different mindset to mine, it might fill the gap but I would never want to look at it again! Each to his or her own!! Every keeper I have must be pleasing, and that includes some coins with obvious problems!

I can sympathise with this view and yet, if you are a completist, as I am, then on occasions you have to fill a gap with a coin that isn't good enough. If money is no object then I guess waiting for the best example there is is a decent strategy, but for mere mortals sometimes the only way to fill the gap is to go for what is available and in your price range. In this case, the buyer presumably wasn't, and might never be, able to afford a nice example, as he maybe hasn't the means and knows that prices for better pieces are unlikely to come down. So what does he do? Wait to afford one at 4 or 5 times the price and that may well be years off or go for it and at least have an example?

It's all right for the non-completists, but for those of us afflicted with this obsession with an empty gap the temptation to fill can be irresistable. So, I've just completed my date run of Victoria halfcrowns with the purchase of a 1841 example, in halfway decent condition. But my 1839 is horrible - Poor/clear date at best, and still about £400. One day, when funds permit, I'll upgrade it, but until then there's other coins to consider.

Is this really worth more than face value? Cant see this 'error' having happened in the mint.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/one-penny-error-/221716957436?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item339f5c48fc

Jerry

Looks like the squashed centipede variety to me. I'm not sure about whether this occurred at the Mint. Some of the legend appears to be struck into this 'blob' which would kind of suggest it was, but............ Some people will do anything to try and create a market and generate some money from the unsuspecting. For me, if a Mint 'error' then I'd maybe pay a fiver for it, but not 200 times that.

• Like 1