British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Not exactly one of eBay's worst, but unusual nevertheless!

Link

I've seen a lot of post-mint, nifty artisan work but this one's new..

Not exactly one of eBay's worst, but unusual nevertheless!

Link

I've seen a lot of post-mint, nifty artisan work but this one's new..

I don't buy that, there would be far greater distortion of edge lettering, etc., it these were genuine HC's formed into globes in this way!

Unusual idea, all the same! :)

:lol:

Perhaps he means he wants to meet for a drugs share??

How do you read a comic that is slabbed. Full white pages, how does he know and can he prove it. I'd want to look before I bought.

How do you read a comic that is slabbed. Full white pages, how does he know and can he prove it. I'd want to look before I bought.

I assume that the slabbers are much like PCGS etc authenticating the item in question amd probably reading it before slabbing lol

I don't imagine any buyer is doing so in order to read it. Investment City, here we come... :D

No one could argue it isn't as described! :D

• Like 1

Apropos of nothing I noticed today for the first time (that I have noticed) that the number of British coin listings on eBay UK currently exceeds 100,000

NoofBritishcoinlistings20140907_zps7a33f

Despite this being a great time in theory for buying and selling coins (auction season, holidays largely over, pay-day just happened for many), I am hoping this is further indication of the continued popularity of coin collecting as a hobby ... or could just be wishful thinking, they are all sellers after all!

Apropos of nothing I noticed today for the first time (that I have noticed) that the number of British coin listings on eBay UK currently exceeds 100,000

Despite this being a great time in theory for buying and selling coins (auction season, holidays largely over, pay-day just happened for many), I am hoping this is further indication of the continued popularity of coin collecting as a hobby ... or could just be wishful thinking, they are all sellers after all!

You've ignored the fact that 99,999 of them are 1967 pennies, 1981 or 1965 crowns, or "ultra rare" washers...

• Like 1

You've ignored the fact that 99,999 of them are 1967 pennies, 1981 or 1965 crowns, or "ultra rare" washers...

I haven't ignored or assumed anything, just observed that there are a record number of listings and hope it might mean some increased interest in the hobby ... or of course it might mean nothing at all ... in fact I suspect if I was to do some further analysis it would show that most of the increase is down to decimal listings, especially 50ps, and that the quality of the grades listed was at an all time low!

It was just an observation, nothing more.

I haven't ignored or assumed anything, just observed that there are a record number of listings and hope it might mean some increased interest in the hobby ... or of course it might mean nothing at all ... in fact I suspect if I was to do some further analysis it would show that most of the increase is down to decimal listings, especially 50ps, and that the quality of the grades listed was at an all time low!

I wasn't being entirely serious! :lol:

I wasn't being entirely serious! :lol:

Although you were correct :)

• Like 1

Ebay had an offer last week with 100 extra free listings to be made over a 5 day period if you accepted something. This is likely to be the reason given their normal free listing quantity is now 20 per month.

The thing is though, decimals are increasingly collected and they have been about for more than 40 years - a lifetime for half the population. I picked up a collection of them yesterday on the way back from London Coins, virtually complete and nearly all mint state. The market for them is actually stronger than you might imagine, with serious collectors (capable of grading) participating rather than just the bloke who picks things out of change from time to time.

If you include varieties such as the orientation of the edge (ok, random I know) and those in Dave's book, then you are looking at something approaching £1000 of face value (excluding the gold) and a market value considerably higher when the prices of a few rarities are included. The beauty for many people is that it is affordable and can be done on a casual basis without having to engage in frenzied bidding.

The thing is though, decimals are increasingly collected and they have been about for more than 40 years - a lifetime for half the population. I picked up a collection of them yesterday on the way back from London Coins, virtually complete and nearly all mint state. The market for them is actually stronger than you might imagine, with serious collectors (capable of grading) participating rather than just the bloke who picks things out of change from time to time.

Was that a collection of BU individual currency issues Rob? If so, that would indeed be a dedicated fan of decimals : their existence is vastly complicated by the issue of proofs for the general public of every decimal coin ever issued since 1971, and BU specimen sets for every year since 1982. The presence of all these sets on the market seems to complicate things somewhat, and makes the collection of decimals rather different to what went before.

(I wonder if there are any pre-1971 decimal proofs, i.e. for the 50p, 10p and 5p? Now THOSE would be very rare and would attract even non-decimal collectors.)