British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
josie

Putting coin on foundation who started it?

Read about the article on clayton again on 1933 penny that was placed on one of the church made on 1933 that the pillar was moved to get the penny.

Just wondering who started this kind of thing placing coin on the foundation?

Thus it originated in UK or Europe and when it started?

Thus other metal detector hobbyist already know this thing? where the buildngs in GB are one on top of another,public and private ones,well some I saw on BIG DIG when they are excavating,new ones are on top of the old foundation,

Thus a lay man or common man of the masses practice this,?maybe a number of old folks in the PHIL. practice this,They only put coins that is out in circulation in its foundation that includes my folks or parents.

What is the meaning of putting coins in the foundation?

I've heard from people that have found coins of the 1700's in their houses (built around the same time). I also believe that some builders still hide coins in new buildings today.

Thanks chris,

More like a time capsule,so putting coins on building goes far as 1700,

Does monarch put proof coin on those building in 1700.

Putting coin on pillar is European or eastern in origin.

I've heard from people that have found coins of the 1700's in their houses (built around the same time). I also believe that some builders still hide coins in new buildings today.

This is a tradition in some areas. I found an 1885 halfpenny under the bath of my first house. Mind you, the house was built in 1964, so it was pretty grim...

Actually this is a tradition that could quite possibly go back to Roman times. There is a tradition of placing coins under the masts of ships from during that time, and this tradition continues even to the modern navies of the world.

Then there is the whole placing coins over people's eyes thing which goes back to antiquity though it's meaning surely changed from paying the ferry over the river Styx to becoming purely utilitarian in keeping the eyes closed with ounce pennies, preferably 1797's.

There were some half crowns specially struck in the 1860s for placing in the foundations of the Albert Hall. Otherwise there are no currency half crowns between 1850 and 1874.

Geoff

Slightly OT but when my wife first moved here from the Far East I kept finding small coins in a corners of rooms in the house. Apparently it's a custom in her culture.

My girlfriend is also from the far East.....Chemnitz!

THANKS EVERY ONE FOR THE INFO.

Scott,

Thier is another one counting the steps of stairs by 3 if applicable but on the first step 3 coins before you enter a room or a house,still exist in my mothers house.more like spanish dont sure,oro plata mata or nata like ore silver or gold something like that.

Geo

So there is high probability that other public biulding in 1700 down have a proof,normal struck and first stike sorry I mean first hammered coins in the base of their pillar.

Thus other countries like Canada,America,Australia and other countries that was colonies by UK have the same tradition putting coins on the pillar of the new public building on the middle edges, Proof or circulated.

For now I will base this tradition why we put coins on the pillar to the european.well GB I know there is an article in clayton wriitten about it and the resources of the expert in this forum now it will suffice.

No info on other EU countries if they practice this in the middle ages.

About the romans not sure if it originate to them, most of the documentary I saw on TV has one basis on finding what date the building was made that is by coin found on the site when no other artifact is found, but the archeologist,I do rarely see them using metal detector on the site is more likely a last result on the foundation of the biulding since roman coin are in circulation for hundred of years sometimes they cant pin point the date,

Well the romans may have used it and other expert may agree that they do, but after watching the program what romans did to us on TV Im having second thought for it maybe another copied practice by romans to other civilazation not barbarian as romans would record it,for I noticed before the roman expand its power and territory the celts are mostly in the major part of europe ,if not celts other civilization but not romans.

It will be new if a coin of celts found on thier foundation long ago before the roman did or arrived in thier expanded territory.

Gary

It could also be eastern may be china,but the countries in far east that have that kind of tradition did any european countries did colononzed them, Phil by spain I think a portion land by british for several years also ducht not sure but encountered it that several European countries control a land, now they are part of Phil. we know

Not thinking of demolishing a great public building just to get a George III halfpenny, are you Josie?

In the cornerstone of the Old US mint in San Francisco is an 1870-S $3 gold piece, less than 5 of them were minted that year. Surprised no one has chiseled through to get it yet. Had the mint not been a protected US landmark in 1989, it might have been torn down as a hazard after the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.

Thanks scot for another info.

Red

no not still standing but those that are already torn down or demoished maybe,Im not into metal detecting and never seen A metal detector hobbyist here in ireland personally, only on TV

When they do found a coin they plot it or chart it,It might be a corner stone of acient past,or maybe a public building onced and the coin in there is only few example or rare or proof.and when archelogist dig a foundation they dont used metal detector well what do you get on a foundation who will put things or coins on base of the building most of the artifact are above the foundation,maybe a marker been here and we erected this building the proof is the coin.

Well the readers from other countries colonized by GB may know it now they can have a shot but the record and the plot where the coin is found is more helpfull.both acient and modern. maybe celtic or greek. under the foundation not on top.

Just heardon radio on RTE that their is a directive between the govt. of Ireland and the National Road Authority under the town council that construction or developement of road should be employed an archeologist to scan the landusing method like geographical survey or other method for the preservation of site if they found one or new find.

Is this kind of thing also practice in GB?

Is private and public contractor also have a guide on what they will going to do when they found a site,well some project amount alot of money a delay by archeological excavation is a lost to them and the other thing is if the site is important they have to find a new one.

Project contractor as I saw on TV on one of your documentary in BBC that local contractor have a knowleged of find on the area and sometimes ask by other expert for info on what find they encounter on several sites to compare and study thier recent finds is this the case that other that are working in this kind of job was no guide especially on contruction industries on what they are going to do when they find a site or they just keep thier eye blind if that is the case at least they should record or plot thier find and go on with the project.

Their are cases that expert are given time to excavate a site for future consruction of a building that is a good thing but sometimes they all dont finnish their dig on time,on emplyoying a archeologist expert on a goverment or developer is a big help but for me it is much better that other in this line of work are being given a crash courses from that start and expand later for thier are some documentary that expert on the 50s or 60s employ consruction worker not all student or expert when they are digging a site for me it is much better if most on the construction thing have a course, just a man power of them it may help some thing even on small info they will input.

Saw some construction worker here have a metal detector maybe looking for a pipe or electrical cable because they are using a backhoe maybe for safety or because it is a directive.

Any additional info.

I work in the construction industry and it is common to employ or allow archeologists access on site (it is written into the Contract).

They are usually allowed complete access to an area of interest for a given period which maybe extended if significant finds are made.

More frequently experienced is a watching brief when the archeologists witness the careful stripping of topsoil etc

If finds are discovered and the Contact is delayed the Contractor in most cases can claim(the Client should have insurance)

The majority of buried treasure I'm afraid to say still goes into the pockets of workmen.A pot of Roman coins discovered were as good as currency in a pub local to a particular site.

I've also picked up a few artifacts myself when on site varying between fossils and some nice limehouse pottery.

I keep my eyes open for some nice hammered gold....one day :rolleyes:

I work in the construction industry and it is common to employ or allow archeologists access on site (it is written into the Contract).

They are usually allowed complete access to an area of interest for a given period which maybe extended if significant finds are made.

More frequently experienced is a watching brief when the archeologists witness the careful stripping of topsoil etc

If finds are discovered and the Contact is delayed the Contractor in most cases can claim(the Client should have insurance)

The majority of buried treasure I'm afraid to say still goes into the pockets of workmen.A pot of Roman coins discovered were as good as currency in a pub local to a particular site.

I've also picked up a few artifacts myself when on site varying between fossils and some nice limehouse pottery.

Peter,

What is your role in construction? I am a Building Control Surveyor.

Peter,

What is your role in construction? I am a Building Control Surveyor.

Colin

I'm a QS (there you go its out now :D )

I realise this is sidetracking the discussion a little bit, but I wonder how many of the 1933 pennies were actually struck. The Royal Mint seem to have not always kept the best track of things & I wonder if there might be any 1933 pennies or 1862/1864 halfcrowns lurking under foundation stones anywhere.

Speaking of which, we generally see the figure of 7 for mintage of the '33 pennies but not given the mintages of the two halfcrowns which we know to come in milled and plain edge configuration. I quite doubt the R2 rating listed by ESC for the plain edge scarcity rating as this seems far two liberal & that maybe they should be classified as at least R4.

I realise this is sidetracking the discussion a little bit, but I wonder how many of the 1933 pennies were actually struck. The Royal Mint seem to have not always kept the best track of things & I wonder if there might be any 1933 pennies or 1862/1864 halfcrowns lurking under foundation stones anywhere.

Speaking of which, we generally see the figure of 7 for mintage of the '33 pennies but not given the mintages of the two halfcrowns which we know to come in milled and plain edge configuration. I quite doubt the R2 rating listed by ESC for the plain edge scarcity rating as this seems far two liberal & that maybe they should be classified as at least R4.

WELCOME DAWSON :)

What other finds can other discover, those that are not recorded like 1862 downward,I cant even border or pinpoint where they start putting coins on foundation in GB.

And who is the monarch or official started it.