British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest shane

fake 1911 half SOVEREIGN

Guest shane

i have just bought a 1911 half SOVEREIGN i have about 16 others they all fit in the same case but this one coin does not fit and the colour is more brassy looking. All my other coins have no mint mark and was told that they were minted in london this one might have a mint mark but i cant quite make it out, could a 1911 half SOVEREIGN minted else where be slightly bigger in diamater or could this coin be a fake if any one can help would be grateful

cheers for now shane

Shane,

What is the coins diameter in mm? All the half sovereigns, no matter what mint are the same size.

Can you attach a picture of it? When you post a message you should see a file search box and a 'You may attach a file to this message.

Maximum file size (in bytes): 51200000' message.

If you weigh it it should be 3.99 grams. If it's worn that may be very slightly less. If it's fake it should be considerably lighter because it wouldn't make sense making a fake coin with more gold in it than a real one! Although that has been done in the past when Gold sovereigns were worth much more than the gold in them.

I think you may need the very accurate scales, I'm not sure maybe the 1/10th of a gram ones will tell you.

Also, could it be a full sovereign?

Chris

predecimal.com

Guest Guest_shane

ive sent you a reply by email enclosing a picture i did it twice the first picture aint that great the second email with a picture is much better i do not have any scales at this time a mate of mine does have some digi scales but dont know how good they are also the coin is nearly 20mm i have 15 other half sovereighns and they are all exactly 19mm this is almost 1mm bigger