British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Rob

1860 Weyl Pattern Penny in Tin

A pattern penny attributed to Adolf Weyl at the end of the 1800's. Struck in Tin, this metal wasn't recorded by either Peck or Freeman. Ex-Adams lot 192 with a milled edge, this was described as being in aluminium but the weight being over x3 too heavy for this metal led me to analyse the content. Interestingly, there is no added zinc to act as a scavenger thus preventing oxidation as s normally the case with tin. These pieces were made in sets of three; penny, halfpenny and farthing and the other two piece I can confirm exist because I have them. This piece illustrated was pictured, erroneously stated in Wilson & Rasmussen to be aluminium and is illustrated there on page 445. The only known P2141 is in the BM and confirmed from the same dies.

The following lot in the Adams sale (193) was the plain edge version also in tin and confirmed by analysis.

The 1887 dated pieces by Weyl also exist in tin in both milled and plain edge varieties. The two Nicholson "aluminium" examples (lots 388 & 389) are the halfpennies from these sets. The Colin Cooke sale lot 173 was the milled edge 1860 farthing. Thus there are a total of 15 confirmed new varieties including the 3 date 1887 pieces struck in lead. The other 6 pieces not confirmed by me and making up the corresponding sets can be presumed to exist.

The obverse:

And reverse:

post-381-1164933159_thumb.jpg

post-381-1164933257_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob

A pretty penny! (Which is no doubt what it cost you too!) Congratulations Rob. A perfect example of dedicated numismatic perseverance and study!

Great coin Rob, you have an collection of coins most of us could only dream of.

Love that bottom shield with the elephant(India?), Walrus(Africa?) and the 'Roo(Australia) representing the Empire.

Love that bottom shield with the elephant(India?), Walrus(Africa?) and the 'Roo(Australia) representing the Empire.

I think the seal is supposed to be Canada

post-990-1171945852_thumb.jpgpost-990-1171945721_thumb.jpg

A pattern penny attributed to Adolf Weyl at the end of the 1800's. Struck in Tin, this metal wasn't recorded by either Peck or Freeman. Ex-Adams lot 192 with a milled edge, this was described as being in aluminium but the weight being over x3 too heavy for this metal led me to analyse the content. Interestingly, there is no added zinc to act as a scavenger thus preventing oxidation as s normally the case with tin. These pieces were made in sets of three; penny, halfpenny and farthing and the other two piece I can confirm exist because I have them. This piece illustrated was pictured, erroneously stated in Wilson & Rasmussen to be aluminium and is illustrated there on page 445. The only known P2141 is in the BM and confirmed from the same dies.

The following lot in the Adams sale (193) was the plain edge version also in tin and confirmed by analysis.

The 1887 dated pieces by Weyl also exist in tin in both milled and plain edge varieties. The two Nicholson "aluminium" examples (lots 388 & 389) are the halfpennies from these sets. The Colin Cooke sale lot 173 was the milled edge 1860 farthing. Thus there are a total of 15 confirmed new varieties including the 3 date 1887 pieces struck in lead. The other 6 pieces not confirmed by me and making up the corresponding sets can be presumed to exist.

The obverse:

And reverse:

I like the Weyl patterns also. I have the half penny P-2192 in FDC (Gem MS66).

Where did you get it?

Where did you get it?

Goldberg's Terner Sale of May, 2003. Hardly seems possible it was eight years ago.

Marv

Where did you get it?

Goldberg's Terner Sale of May, 2003. Hardly seems possible it was eight years ago.

Marv

..or that your reply took 4 and a half years :D

Where did you get it?

Marv

Is this a record...a reply to a thread 4 1/2 years on :D

Let's have another reply then - we're on a roll.

I would like to place on record my thanks for Marvin's contribution to my Weyl pattern article which has been accepted for the next BNJ. Fingers crossed the printers or the editor don't screw up.

And obviously a bank account to match the dreams ;) Any chance you could adopt me Rob?I'd like to also place on record that i'm Robs love child and lay any claim to his collection :lol:

Edited by azda

And obviously a bank account to match the dreams ;) Any chance you could adopt me Rob?I'd like to also place on record that i'm Robs love child and lay any claim to his collection :lol:

Got some news for you.Your real parents are Martin & Tracey from the West country who sold you for a shilling (Thomas Hardy Mayor of Casterbridge like) to the Wier family from Ayrshire...hang on. ;):D

Got some news for you.Your real parents are Martin & Tracey from the West country who sold you for a shilling (Thomas Hardy Mayor of Casterbridge like) to the Wier family from Ayrshire...hang on. ;):D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

The obverse:

And reverse:

When you say "3 date 1887 pieces in lead" I know you mean they have three dates but do you also mean there is more than one of them and if so are they part of your collection?

The obverse:

And reverse:

When you say "3 date 1887 pieces in lead" I know you mean they have three dates but do you also mean there is more than one of them and if so are they part of your collection?

No, the 1887 pieces in lead with 3 dates appear to be unique.

The obverse:

And reverse:

No, the 1887 pieces in lead with 3 dates appear to be unique.

Thank goodness I have got it then.

Where did you get it?

Marv

..or that your reply took 4 and a half years :D

Can I have a go since it is well past the 2007 post. Rob will tell you I am an avid 1887 collector and have the P2193 ex Heritage 2007 and the Lead 3 date with "one or two others" ex Plymouth Auction Rooms 18/4/2008. I would like to have a chat about the 1887 coins. What would be the best way to communicate? I would be happy for Rob to give you my details.

post-5025-028145900 1327435834_thumb.jpg

post-5025-045467100 1327435861_thumb.jpg

post-990-1171945852_thumb.jpgpost-990-1171945721_thumb.jpg

The obverse:

And reverse:

Can I have a go since it is well past the 2007 post. Rob will tell you I am an avid 1887 collector and have the P2193 ex Heritage 2007 and the Lead 3 date with "one or two others" ex Plymouth Auction Rooms 18/4/2008. I would like to have a chat about the 1887 coins. What would be the best way to communicate? I would be happy for Rob to give you my details. see my attachment below