British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

scottishmoney

One Of The Largest UK Tokens

birminghamthreepence1813.jpg

I admit my primary interest in this piece is it's significant size. Of course when it was issued there was more of a belief in issuing tokens or monetary instruments with some heft, or some semblance of value. The result is a token measuring in at 45mm and 5mm thick. It weighs 105 grammes or 3 ozs. in old measure. Incredibly there were trial strikes of bronze sixpences that would have weighed in at nearly 6 ozs. in weight. These with their more common brethren the Penny tokens were circulated by the Birmingham Workhouse. Indeed their dimensions made them curiousity pieces even in the 19th century and they are often very heavily circulated as a result.

I just picked up a specimen myself as a adjunct to my Copper & Bronze Collection..... I have the 3p and the 1p both dateed 1813, and am waiting for a 1p dated 1814......

Offhand, do you have a list of the denominations and dates that each were made????

Thanks