50 Years of RotographicPredecimal.com. British Numismatic Trade Association Member - One of the most popular websites on British coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Collectors' Coins Great Britain 2014 Standard Guide to Grading British Coins British and Empire Campaign Medals 1793 to 1902British and Irish Campaign Medals 1902 to 2010England's Striking History Roman Base Metal Coins - A Price Guide Roman Silver Coins - A Price Guide  Available for Kindle Available as .epub
The Current Rotographic printed book titles on Amazon. Click the Kindle icon above to see the Rotographic range for Kindle. Click the .epub icon to purchase as .epub direct from Rotographic.

50 Years of RotographicRotographic.com Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals.

Photo

One Of The Largest UK Tokens

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scottishmoney

scottishmoney

An unimportant part of the furnishings

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • Interests:17th Century tokens, Scottish coins of course, and any excessively large numismatic item.

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:07 PM

Posted Image

I admit my primary interest in this piece is it's significant size. Of course when it was issued there was more of a belief in issuing tokens or monetary instruments with some heft, or some semblance of value. The result is a token measuring in at 45mm and 5mm thick. It weighs 105 grammes or 3 ozs. in old measure. Incredibly there were trial strikes of bronze sixpences that would have weighed in at nearly 6 ozs. in weight. These with their more common brethren the Penny tokens were circulated by the Birmingham Workhouse. Indeed their dimensions made them curiousity pieces even in the 19th century and they are often very heavily circulated as a result.

This isn't just a forum - Purchase British coins, collecting accessories and books on www.predecimal.com

#2 Bronze & Copper Collector

Bronze & Copper Collector

Important part of the furniture

• Numismatic Research Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Interests:Bronze & Copper Pennies, Half Pennies, & Farthings

Posted 23 November 2006 - 05:00 PM

I just picked up a specimen myself as a adjunct to my Copper & Bronze Collection..... I have the 3p and the 1p both dateed 1813, and am waiting for a 1p dated 1814......

Offhand, do you have a list of the denominations and dates that each were made????

Thanks

#3 Bronze & Copper Collector

Bronze & Copper Collector

Important part of the furniture

• Numismatic Research Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Interests:Bronze & Copper Pennies, Half Pennies, & Farthings

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:16 PM

Does anyone have a list of the different varities and variations of the Birmingham Workhouse Tokens???
Thanks