British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Just out of interest what is your dream coin?

I always used to say a Henry III gold penny, or perhaps an Edward III Florin, hmmm.

But i've got a new one now, a little more down to earth as it's cheaper but, nonetheless even if i won the lottery (which i don't play anyhow so that's even less likely to happen) but i'd probably still not be able to get one with all that money...

A Cromwell 1658 sixpence... currently going at £15,000 in Fine.

Arrghhh!

Queen Anne Five Guineas "VIGO" SECVNDO variety - £45,000. Something more down to earth (not much!) a 1933 penny.

Just out of interest what is your dream coin?

I always used to say a Henry III gold penny, or perhaps an Edward III Florin, hmmm.

But i've got a new one now, a little more down to earth as it's cheaper but, nonetheless even if i won the lottery (which i don't play anyhow so that's even less likely to happen) but i'd probably still not be able to get one with all that money...

A Cromwell 1658 sixpence... currently going at £15,000 in Fine.

Arrghhh!

hey i found a 1658 shilling for sale...

http://www.historyincoins.com/xxx-1-3-4-21.jpg

I've always dreamed of owning a Charles II Petition Crown. Missed two chances recently!! (yeh right!).

Odd, as I'm really into currency coins rather than patterns etc. I just think that the petition crown is a wonderful piece of craftsmanship.

Oli - talking of the 1933 penny being 'down to earth' I believe that a couple are known to have been placed in the foundations of buildings. You could always try digging them up!!

Oli - talking of the 1933 penny being 'down to earth' I believe that a couple are known to have been placed in the foundations of buildings. You could always try digging them up!!

Yes I read that on the Royal Mint website (in the foundations of cathedrals I think). I think seven (?) were minted but a while ago one or two were stolen so some lucky devil has one or two in their collection!

Yeah, seven were minted. My dream coins.....i would kill for a Una and the Lion coin. A gothic crown as well.

I think it has to be the 1952 half crown, because it's unique and, having held it, it's become existential rather than a dream coin.

Mind you, I wouldn't say no to a Una, or one of the proof Edward VIII escapees...

G

i would kill for a Una and the Lion coin.

Well if we're really going hell-for-leather I'd say the 1933 Double Eagle B)

Well if we're really going hell-for-leather I'd say the 1933 Double Eagle B)

IF YOU'VE GOT A FEW MILLION SPARE, HELL WHY NOT... :D

IF YOU'VE GOT A FEW MILLION SPARE, HELL WHY NOT... 

Oh yeah just change in my trouser pockets ;)

IF YOU'VE GOT A FEW MILLION SPARE, HELL WHY NOT...  :D

But barely anyone has!!! :(

Guest Dan

A set of Edward VIII patterns (the real 1937-dated McCoy not the modern fantasy pieces!!) Failing that the excessively rare 1953 gold proof set (£5 to half sov. - only about 10 struck) Better start doing the lottery

A set of Edward VIII patterns (the real 1937-dated McCoy not the modern fantasy pieces!!) Failing that the excessively rare 1953 gold proof set (£5 to half sov. - only about 10 struck) Better start doing the lottery

Yes they are very rare those 1953 sets!

I still fancy the idea of an Empress Matilda coin though... :D

Dan - if you get the Ed VIIIs I'll buy the shilling off you! (Aren't the 'Maklouff' patterns naff!)

Dan - if you get the Ed VIIIs I'll buy the shilling off you! (Aren't the 'Maklouff' patterns naff!)

Maklouf at his best again. Does anyone else out there think that the obverse of our coins from 1985-1997 is rubbish?

I certainly do, the Arnold Machin one is much better!!

I've no real objection to the Maklouf Elizabeth II obverse, but I do think his Edward VIII retropatterns are hideous. Not only do they make the king look like JFK, but they don't even begin to refer to the elegant designs produced by Percy Metcalfe, Kruger Gray and others for the real thing.

Anyone who want to see what we missed out on should take a look at Graham Dyer's HMSO monograph "The proposed coinage of King Edward VIII".

Geoff

Yes, they were quite nice, until Maklouf came along and put everyone off!

Ah at last another Machin fan! Great design that was, i bet £2 coins would have looked good Machinified.

I like how Jersey and Co kept Machin's on after 1985!

...they make the king look like JFK...

How true, I've only just noticed!

Ah at last another Machin fan! Great design that was, i bet £2 coins would have looked good Machinified.

I like how Jersey and Co kept Machin's on after 1985!

Yes, that was a great idea that Jersey had. The £2 coin would look brilliant with the Machin design, especially with the original design (it's much better than all the commemorative ones!!)

my dream coin would be an unc. Edward VIII brass threepence :)

Edited by Master J.M.D

Yes, that would be nice too, but I'm not that keen on the brass threepences, I much prefer the silver ones!

Guest Penny Master_I'm_a_Guest

My dream coin or rather set would have to be the 1839 proof set or a 1933 penny, lol!

my dream coin would be an unc. Edward VIII brass threepence :)

If you have £35,000 spare, you can always but one from Spink! Its a unique Matt proof.