British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Tony Noon

Coin Software

Okay people, this could go on for ever, but as a quick question,what do you want to see in Coin collection software? What features, reports, tools etc would be most useful to you? I've floated an idea to Chris about writing a bit of software for what we want, but it is at an early stage yet. Do you prefer Tree Views such as CoinManage, or list views such as Coin Organzer Deluxe? Do you want to be able to allocate coins to sets? Do you want to be able to sort by country, by age, by condition? Do you want to be able to view the mint history? Do you want to be able to store web links and document references? Do you want to be able to share this info?

Please don't go into too much detail at the moment, just a quick starting list of what would be the most important things to you.

Tony

I'd like lots of filters (age condition etc), the ability to upload pics onto it, store info on it, update accurate BRITISH prices from the web.

Morning people. It looks like this is going to go ahead, so I will be looking for testers of the software. If you would like to be a tester then please email me at tony.noon@brett-tech.com. If you can let me know the rough spec of your pc and what other coin packages you have used (if any). I will be looking for between five and ten testers intially.

I am expecting to have a test version for Chris in approximately three weeks (got a holiday coming up that will interrupt development time) and anticpate the first test version to be available around the end of April.

Please keep posting what you would like to see in the package here. If we do end up going with a live version of the software then the testers will receive the full package and updates for one year free of charge. Other contributors to the development will get a discounted rate.

I have a web site that will show screen shots as development progresses and I will let you know the address of it when there is something to see.

Tony

Was just wondering how the software is getting on? Liberty street software have finally sent me coin manage software and I was wondering if I should wait for the new software or start with liberty's

okay, an update for everyone.

I've managed to restructure my workload (from impossible to barely manageable) with my employers. I've also scheduled to take some time off at the end of May, which gives me a decent chunk of time to start real work on the development side.

I've mapped out the basics and the table relationships and requirements, so am ready to start on the coding, which begins tomorrow.

Some of the key points I am looking at putting in are:

1) Coin Master Database

Select the coins you own from the master database and add them to your own collection

View info on your coin such as Mint, notes, links to websites (when submitted) grading etc.

You'll also be able to view info on the country at that stage, so if it was a Queen Victoria coin you could see info on Queen Victoria, if it was minted in 1854 you'd be able to see some key events on what happened that year

2) Mint database

A history of mints and what coins they produced. I'll also be looking at adding current mints in for those who collect modern coins and bullion coins

There be various ways of searching, organising, flagging and adding your own notes and comments.

Because this is planned to be an ever-expanding database, the main way of updating the master tables will be via the internet. There will be a master server availble through the net which you can pull the latest info on. You'll also be able to add info, such as web links, notes etc that can be uploaded and then shared by all.

The plan is to focus on one country at a time, so for example just English coins will be available first, then other UK, then the US, then Canada etc. It will take several months to expand the database but you will be able to access the coins from any country you wish eventually.

Well, that's a basic update for you. I have a website ready and will have screen shots on it by the end of the month with a test version available shortly afterwards.

Tony

Will this database include all dates from 300 AD - the present day?

a month has gone btw :)

sorry for the delay, still trying to juggle work and personal stuff. I've had to take another three days off at the start of next week as I was interrupted too much at my last attempt. The database model is done. The coding in well underway on the main forms.

The first screen shots will be up next week and the trial version will be available at the end of next week. This will be a very early beta release (that'll be an alpha release then!) so I can get some initial feedback on the general look and feel.

The plan is for it to cover every coin available eventually, and this will be made possible by the internet updates, so initally it will be a smallish database icnreasing in size every week as I (or my trusty assistant) adds more coins.

Once I put the screenshots up next week then I'll post here to let you know the web address you can see them at.

So far I have three potential testers (Chris, Gary Cole and Lynne Donnelly). Anyone else out there?

Tony

sorry for the delay, still trying to juggle work and personal stuff. I've had to take another three days off at the start of next week as I was interrupted too much at my last attempt. The database model is done. The coding in well underway on the main forms.

The first screen shots will be up next week and the trial version will be available at the end of next week. This will be a very early beta release (that'll be an alpha release then!) so I can get some initial feedback on the general look and feel.

The plan is for it to cover every coin available eventually, and this will be made possible by the internet updates, so initally it will be a smallish database icnreasing in size every week as I (or my trusty assistant) adds more coins.

Once I put the screenshots up next week then I'll post here to let you know the web address you can see them at.

So far I have three potential testers (Chris, Gary Cole and Lynne Donnelly). Anyone else out there?

Tony

sounds fun...btw, lynne donnelly is my mum, i am james :)

Tony

Tony -

I'm kinda new around here so I have just now read this thread. As for what i would like to see in coin collecting software - all the same things and abilities that Coin Elite by Trove Software has. If you are not familiar with it - see here - Trove Software

Now Coin Elite is primarily focused on the American market - but they do have a world database as well. This is where you come in ;) The world database is lacking if compared to the US portion of the program. The software would also need realistic and accurate pricing information built in. Not one single program I have ever seen has that. You come up with software that fixes that - and you'll have a winner pal :D

As for testing - you bet sign me up. I know more than a bit about computers and would be thrilled to help out ;)

Is there any news on this?

Guess not...

I don't think this went anywhere.

It is a damned good idea tho.. a lot of work, for sure, but if completed, would be invaluable.

Maybe a collaboration of a number of people could pull it off?

Guest semcnm

hey guys just happened upon this thread while passing by

i am collecting canadian coins

one thing i think that makes all the differance in the world is pictures / especially graded pictures

if you could apply pictures of all grades of coins for a referance to grading that would be a majour asset to actually selling a coin software

being able to add pics is nice you probably need quite a few pics per coin but the more pics of different grades included with the program /and with the grade of each coin showing it would really be helpfull to all collectors

i am very sure the ppl using the program would love to send in pics of their graded coins to help out

Forget the software... I think a set of graded example pictures would be incredibly useful just as part of a website.

It is difficult to do for British coins though because we have a more qualitative approach to grading. It is basically subjective with room for manoeuvre around each grade...

I often thought about posting images here and saying "vote for which grade you think this is", but I suspect we might only learn who could shout the loudest... maybe I'm wrong.

British grades are usually defined by short descriptions, and if you've seen a lot of one design you get the feel of which parts wear first, so then grading is about how well your interpretation of the description fits with everybody else's interpretation (for example, how much wear is allowed for it to still be EF)

The problem I have is when I'm faced with an unusual design... is this a good one or not? What does a new one look like? Was there more detail there or has it worn away?

That is a good idea

Guest Guest
Forget the software... I think a set of graded example pictures would be incredibly useful just as part of a website.

It is difficult to do for British coins though because we have a more qualitative approach to grading. It is basically subjective with room for manoeuvre around each grade...

I often thought about posting images here and saying "vote for which grade you think this is", but I suspect we might only learn who could shout the loudest... maybe I'm wrong.

British grades are usually defined by short descriptions, and if you've seen a lot of one design you get the feel of which parts wear first, so then grading is about how well your interpretation of the description fits with everybody else's interpretation (for example, how much wear is allowed for it to still be EF)

The problem I have is when I'm faced with an unusual design... is this a good one or not? What does a new one look like? Was there more detail there or has it worn away?

exactly / and the movement around between each grade is the problem /pictures ,and say aproximatly how many tiny defects before it loses a grade whould be good information and way usefull to noobs and even all of us for coins we happen upon

no your probably right but there is a way around that / have a look at this site http://www.colonialacres.com/gradingtest.shtml

now this would be an ideal thing / you dont have to give away prizes but this setup would be very pratical and usefull if you were using a coin that was already graded and saying guess the grade and we will post the origional grade in a week /this is for fun and learning and if you cant handle being wrong then thats

just to bad

one thing though / the picture should probably be a better quality for ppl can really look at it

Guest semcnm

oops forgot my name in the last post

and i am going to do a little test with you guys

Sounds intriguing, do hurry! :P

and i am going to do a little test with you guys

:huh: lol

Guest semcnm

//semcnm.everywebhost.com/final.bmp

ok guys this coin is quite different good luck on telling me what grade and exactly what it is besides the fact that its a quarter and you dont know the date

i will give you one hint though / this coin was produced within the last 4 years and guys that was the very best picture i could get of it

Picture's awful, impossible to tell.

I agree

Guest semcnm
Picture's awful, impossible to tell.

well i have determined that digital cameras suck for closeups of coins aswell as video cams

unfortunatly my scanner is dead however to give you an answer of what it is

well personally i cant really grade it

the picture your looking at is actually a close up and the coin looks real rough but that was the best pic i could get

generally that coin should be shiney like the rest of the 2004 quarters that were made / in standard circulation condition

this coin was circulated but i assure you it is in top condition // for its condition

if you look at the pic near the 25 cent part where there is a black line going across the coin / this line is a very fine scratch / and i mean under magnification it is very fine and aswell it shows copper through the scratch or something looking like copper

the whole coin both sides you can see little bits of copper wearing through because of ppl handeling it / however i guarantee you it is in top 2004 au condition

infact all of the bumps and humps you see are actually there and this coin is actually not shiny at all

you see some how during the shuffel this peice made it through the mint //it is actually a 2004 quarter that was never plated with the finish coat to make it shine

the slightest rub and nick goes right through a tiny film of some kind of metal and this is why i see copper coulors shineing through during magnification and even to the naked eye you can see the copper

even on the miniture beads around the outer edge show signs of handeling

aswell as letters

i dont know exactly what to call this coin other then probably my best find because even at first i didnt realize what it was because it does look like it is all screwed up

never the less when i get a chance to buy a scanner i will repost this because it really is different