British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Just thought I'd share some of my pictures of my 1/3 Farthing coins for anyone thats interested. I am now past the halfway point in collecting all regular (not including proofs etc) 1/3 farthings issued. :D

Here is a link to them:

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/hus...1&addtype=local

Edited by Hussulo

post-665-1163299893_thumb.jpg

Just thought I'd share some of my pictures of my 1/3 Farthing coins for anyone thats interested. I am now past the halfway point in collecting all regular (not including proofs etc) 1/3 farthings issued. :D

Here is a link to them:

Is the 1835 a 5/4?

I don't know Rob here's a pic. What do you think?

I know what is realy obvious is that it has a large die crack running from the last l to the s in gulielmus.

post-665-1163299917_thumb.jpg

post-665-1163299925_thumb.jpg

Although I'm not a "modern" collector, I am impressed. Quite a collection! :)

post-665-1163299893_thumb.jpg

Here is a link to them:

Is the 1835 a 5/4?

I don't know Rob here's a pic. What do you think?

I know what is realy obvious is that it has a large die crack running from the last l to the s in gulielmus.

Totally inconclusive. I think they are both struck from the same obv. die as my piece has a thin flaw from the top right serif of the U to the border bead only following the same path as yours as well as the very faint flaw joining the base of the M & U that is slightly arched. So mine is just an earlier strike. Also, your 3 is slightly defective on the right hand side of the lower loop to a greater extent than on mine. The features of what appears to be an underlying 4 on mine is best seen with the light coming from 12 o'clock, which highlights what would be the angled bar just outside the 5 vertical but doesn't follow the 5 shape where it changes direction and enters the tail of the 5 in the middle of the end. Also, the cross bar rises slightly from left to right. The little spur which joins the tail of the 5 to the angle perfectly bisects the angle of the possible 4. There are traces of what would be the serifs on the foot of the 4 in the loop and as a very small protrusion on the outside of the loop. Picture added to show what I mean, the right hand of the foot is not as prominent as the drawing suggests.

post-381-1163369985_thumb.jpg

Very interesting Rob.

Is the 1835 5/4 a rare overdate as I cannot find any refernces to it in any of my books?

Good point, it's not even in CCGB.

I'm not aware of any references to this as an overstrike, that's why I asked if anyone had a mint state example on an earlier thread. Preferably an early strike too so that there is less chance of die wear.

Looking at your image of the date, it looks as if there could possibly be a trace of the outside edge of a flat topped 4 above and slightly left of the top left corner of the 5. This would tie in to the vertical of the 4 which would agree with the slightly left inclined blockage in the top gap of the 5 and the vertical displacement would be about right too. My perception of the underlying bit is that the 4 if it is that, is slightly rotated acw.

Looking at your image of the date, it looks as if there could possibly be a trace of the outside edge of a flat topped 4 above and slightly left of the top left corner of the 5. This would tie in to the vertical of the 4 which would agree with the slightly left inclined blockage in the top gap of the 5 and the vertical displacement would be about right too. My perception of the underlying bit is that the 4 if it is that, is slightly rotated acw.

Thanks Rob,

I have never been good at identifying over dates.