British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

stable

Silver Edward VII English Penny

Hi,

I visited an old fellow last week who brought out some of his coin collection.

One coin was wrapped in cotton, he showed it to me , it was a silver English Penny, Edward the seventh, 1902.

Can someone tell me if any 1902 silver finished pennies were issued?

I did some research and it is not a Maundy Penny but a regular one.

I thought it could have been nickel coated, it came from a Kalgoorlie (Australian) Minesite years back. :)

Hi,

I visited an old fellow last week who brought out some of his coin collection.

One coin was wrapped in cotton, he showed it to me , it was a silver English Penny, Edward the seventh, 1902.

Can someone tell me if any 1902 silver finished pennies were issued?

I did some research and it is not a Maundy Penny but a regular one.

I thought it could have been nickel coated, it came from a Kalgoorlie (Australian) Minesite years back. :)

As far as I know there were no pennies issued in silver in 1902, so what you have must have been silvered. Are you sure it was a penny? The Maundy penny would have been much, much smaller anyway - really quite miniscule.

Geoff

As far as I know there were no pennies issued in silver in 1902, so what you have must have been silvered. Are you sure it was a penny? The Maundy penny would have been much, much smaller anyway - really quite miniscule.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

It was one of these ones

ero1902.jpg

ER1902.jpg

But a nicer silver finish !

I thought maybe it was made for Canada,India or some other British commonwealth country at the time ?

I've got an early GV 'silver' penny. It's very bright, too bright to be actual silver. And the details are not as sharp, implying that it has a thick layer of another metal on it. I suspect yours is the same, but I'm sure we can confirm if you post pictures.

I've got an early GV 'silver' penny. It's very bright, too bright to be actual silver. And the details are not as sharp, implying that it has a thick layer of another metal on it. I suspect yours is the same, but I'm sure we can confirm if you post pictures.

I'll ask him if he wants that, i've only met him once and he is 83 years of age.

The finish is beautiful making me think that it could be a coat of nickel,

'Electroless Nickel plating is a process that has many advantages over 'electrolytic' processes in an engineering environment. The coating can be used in many fields where a hard, corrosion resistant finish is required. A major advantage of the process is that it is possible to coat the whole surface of an item EVENLY, including internals, unlike electrolytic processes which have difficulty depositing into recessed and internal areas and can result in excessive build-ups on points, corners, etc.

The thickness of the plating film is usually measured in micrometers'

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

It was one of these ones

ero1902.jpg

ER1902.jpg

But a nicer silver finish !

I thought maybe it was made for Canada,India or some other British commonwealth country at the time ?

No, that's definitely a British penny.

Geoff

Guest E. Dawson

Check specific gravity or even just get an exact weight to the 0.1 gram. If you are near an University, you may get a surface spectroscopy which will reveal the coating material.

Hi,

I took my reliable digital camera and a desklamp to Frank's house today and photographed the coin.

He said he was given the coin as it is by his Dad about 70 or so years back.

Frank dropped the coin a couple of times on the floor to demonstrate he didn't think it was silver, it didn't make a silver tinkling noise but a regular bronze penny sound.

The coating was shinier but over the years has tarnished somewhat.

The next step will be to take it to a uni as recommended earlier in the thread for some testing.

1902sr.jpg

1902So.jpg

Guest E. Dawson

Nice hair detail on Teddy, do let us know what happens with testing.

Guest Guest

The bust looks crisp but the lettering no so, especially the reverse. I favour plated at the moment. Saying that, I also have a coin, a 1940 penny that is toning silvery :huh: