British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest babs

inherited coin collection

Guest babs

i have inherited a coin collection from a deceased relative and it contains quite a lot of pre-decimal coins ranging from halfpennies. pennies, threepences, sixpences, half crowns, florin, 2shillings, shillings silver sixpences. commemorative silver jubilee coins and also a ten shilling note and a scottish pound note. there are quite a lot of them. i would like any advice on how to sort them and find out how to find out there true value, if any.

thanks

Guest Guest_chris

babs,

Most predecimal coins and notes that people acquire in the way you have are normally just coins taken from circulation at the time, are often well worn and usually tend to just be worth face or scrap value. There are a couple of pages on the site that might help you out...The grading page, the key date page, and the coin identification page, all of which are available from the advice hub:

http://www.predecimal.com/coinadvice.htm

Coins pre 1920 are silver and coins 1920 - 46 are 50% silver.

If you live in England (Prefereably in the SE) I may be able to visit you to help you sort them out, give you an honest opinion and possibly buy them between 28 Sep - 3 Oct.

Feel free to email me with more details, my email addresses are all over the site.

Thanks for using the forum,

Chris Perkins

www.predecimal.com

Guest babs

thanks for your reply. how would be best to sort them out. i have looked on the webpage at the coins for sale and i have quite a few that are not listed. i have listed the coins that i have. would it be fair to say that the value shown on the webpage can be coinsided with the coins.

The prices on the website are a dealers selling price, and I have to make a profit on the coins I sell to pay for this site and my time in listing/grading the coins etc, so the listed coins should be used as an idea, but be aware you are unlikely to get those prices for the coins unless you could sell them all individually to the right collectors.

Also the coins listed are all strictly graded and are not the prices for eg any 1907 Florin, the price is for an AVF previously cleaned Florin. It's always the grade of the coin, not the age that makes it in demand.

The best thing you can do at this stage, like you say you already have done is make a list and let me see it. Generally as a rule nothing newer than 1937 is worth much unless in EF of preferably UNC condition.

Roughly how many coins do you have?

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Guest babs

there are about 750 approx. i haven't actually counted them as i am in the middle of sorting them out. but to give you an idea there are about 100 halfpennies, 23 shillings 1 florin dated 1929, 4 two shillings, 61 half crowns, 171 threepences, 5 silver threepences 258 sixpences. that doesn'y include the pennies as i haven't sorted them yet but there seems to be about 150-200 approx

That's quite a lot isn't it.

Where are you located? I'll be around SE England late september, they are probably nothing remarkable but if you're local I could pop by.

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Guest Guest

no sorry. im in the north west. i'd just be happy to know what to look for, as i have got quite interested in it and find looking at them fasinating as do my children when i explain what they use to be. is there any value in the notes as i can't find anything about them, but there again i'm probably looking in the wrong place

I don't do note on the site, but like coins the newer ones tend to only be collectable in very good condition. Have a look at:

http://www.collectpapermoney.co.uk/

Maybe it would be an idea to separate the coins and notes that look really nice and buy the Spink published, Coins of England and the United Kingdom (RRP GBP18.00) which should contain all the info you need.

Just let me know if you find any collectable ones and want to sell them!

Good luck

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Guest babs

thanks for your help i really appreciate it. i will try that website and if anything turns up or i need any more of your advice i will be in touch.

thanks a lot

babs

You're welcome and good luck with them

Chris.

Guest babs

chris

i have sorted the pennies out and i have found that out of them all i have no 1950's at all is there probably a reason for this, i also have a few 1940's that yous haven't got listed . could you tell me what dates a should be looking for which are of particular interest.

thanks

1950 is one of them!!

There are a few 40's dates that weren't issued if memory serves, none of the 40's coins are that rare, I just don't have any!

51 is pretty scarce, 52 is worth 1000's (you won't find one!) 53 out of it's set it was issued in is scarcer, 54 is impossible and there were no more in the 50's or 1960. All the 60's are easy to find, and they stopped in 67.

have a look at:

http://www.predecimal.com/key_dates.htm

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Guest babs

thanks will check them out. not only am i new to this coin sorting and finding it very interesting. A as you can probably tell only just getting into this internet thing as well.

babs

Babs!

If it makes you feel better, I was at least mis led into thinking you were experienced on the internet because I think often net beginers shy away from forums, thinking they look complicated.

So well done, and I'm very please you're finding the coins interesting.

I have contacted a publisher in Torquay recently and hope to be offering a GBP4.50 book on the site that contains values for every UK coin 1821 - now in all collectable grades. it also contains info on grading, collecting and pictures of all the coins. I'll put you down for a copy shall I!!

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Guest babs

chris

yeah that will be of great value to me. i think. i have now logged every coin and i am going to try and start grading them . wish me luck

babs

That's the hardest part!

Be conservative and don't fool yourself into believing the coins are up a grade when they aren't.

Compare very similar coins and try to establish a coin that you know is for example VF and that will be a big help when looking at the others.

Chris.

www.predecimal.com