British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Does anyone know what this coin is? It does not have a date or a value on it. it just has, King george and Queen Mary on on side of it and a list of British countries on the other.

post-32-1078952628_thumb.jpg

Here is the other side of it. Ive been searching the internet but cannot find any info on it. Hope someone can help.

post-32-1078952730_thumb.jpg

Its obviously a medal of some kind - the silver jubilee? I think Geoff does medals so when he gets round to this you should get your answer!

Thanks for the quick response. I will look forward to finding out.

All the best.

Probably an unofficial 1911 Coronation medal from the style. Geoff will confirm. Although like that, I doubt it's worth very much.

I suppose it could be an unnofficial medal or even a forgery or replica because the weight of it is alot lighter than i thought it would be compared to coins around the same thickness and a smaller diameter. It would be great if it was unnofficial, although it would not be worth much its a good one to keep.

Hey Hippy,

Do you look like my avatar too?

Do you look like my avatar too?

What do you mean?

Oh, I just wondered because of the name, it implied you may have long hair, and perhaps you therefore look a little like my 'character' picture (Dee Snider of Twisted Sister)??? :huh:

Not to worry if you don't , you're still most welcome :D

I used to have long hair but i got really annoyed with it and ended up getting it cut. First only a few inches then more until i had a skinhead. I regret it now. No one else does. My hair looked nothing like your picture as my hair grew straight. sigh

Mine is not curly, but kind of has a wave to it. It's been with me a long time, and really only trimmed since before 1995.

In this forum we tend to deviate from the subject, but that's ok! I'm going to start a forum, especially so that we can deviate in it.

Although deviation is good for the soul i will come back to coins.

while we wait on geoff's conformation maybe you can tell me something about a coin/medal from 1837.

on the obv young effigy of victoria with the writing Regina Victoria,

on the reverse i think its george and the dragon and the words To hanover with the date 1837.

I know there is a few of them around but there is no reason why they were made.

Do you know?

They are called Cumberland Jacks, and were made to poke fun at the then Duke of Cumberland, who no one liked, and everyone wanted to send him to Hannover.

I stole this from the www24carat.co.uk website:

Many brass imitations were made as publicity tokens or propaganda pieces. One very common example is the "Cumberland Jack", a brass imitation guinea issued around the time of Queen Victoria's accession in 1837. It features a young head portrait of Victoria on the obverse, and a mounted Duke of Cumberland, after the style of Pistrucci's famous Saint George and Dragon, on the reverse, with the inscription "To Hanover". This was a reference to the Duke, an unpopular character, becoming the ruler of Hanover, a title which Victoria was debarred from inheriting because she was female.

Thats quite funny.

I bet the Duke of Cumberland was not impressed at that.

They don't make 'em like they used to do they.

I'm sure the Duke of Cumberland didn't let the peasants bother him too much though.

Probably an unofficial 1911 Coronation medal from the style. Geoff will confirm. Although like that, I doubt it's worth very much.

It could be a non-official coronation medal from 1911 but I have my doubts. The countries on the reverse are Empire territories - mostly dominions like Canada, Australia and South Africa. The inclusion of Ireland is puzzling though; in 1911 it was part of the UK, which might argue in favour of this being a 1935 silver jubilee medal. In 1935 what was to become the Irish Republic was technically a dominion (self-governing country) within the Empire. I would also expect a 1911 coronation medal to make some reference to the event.

One possibility is that it was issued in connection with the British Empire festival at Wembley in 1924-25.

Geoff

They are called Cumberland Jacks, and were made to poke fun at the then Duke of Cumberland, who no one liked, and everyone wanted to send him to Hannover.

I stole this from the www24carat.co.uk website:

Many brass imitations were made as publicity tokens or propaganda pieces. One very common example is the "Cumberland Jack", a brass imitation guinea issued around the time of Queen Victoria's accession in 1837. It features a young head portrait of Victoria on the obverse, and a mounted Duke of Cumberland, after the style of Pistrucci's famous Saint George and Dragon, on the reverse, with the inscription "To Hanover". This was a reference to the Duke, an unpopular character, becoming the ruler of Hanover, a title which Victoria was debarred from inheriting because she was female.

More specifically, he became King of Hanover on the death of William IV in 1837. Since George I Hanover and Britain had shared the same ruler; initially they were electors in Hanover (and Dukes of Brunswick) and latterly Kings. You can see the horse of Brunswick on the royal arms on. e.g. the reverse of a William IV half crown. Women couldn't succeed to the throne of Hanover so the succession there passed to Victoria's uncle Ernst August, Duke of Cumberland. He was in turn succeed by his (blind) son as George V of Hanover (after whom the Paris hotel is named) before Hanover was annexed by Prussia.

Ernst was a reactionary and no more popular in Hanover than in Britain. The tokens were used in a popular game of the time and are quite common.

Geoff

Well thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and giving me good information to go on.

Im definitly will be back to ask some more.

All the best.

Hey, that's like, no problem man!