British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
TomGoodheart

Dodgy dealing

For those who are interested in ancient coins I thought I should bring to your attention a posting from englishhammered@yahoogroups.com. This was written by a reputable dealer with some 13 years experience in the business. I have edited the post slightly.

> Dear All,

>

> I just want to make as many people as possible aware of the following site selling fake Anglo-Saxon coins and fraudulently offering my coins for sale: http://www.anglosaxoncoins.net/

>

> The fakes are well known fakes openly sold as `replicas' on e-Bay etc. There are also three coins of mine offered for sale.

>

> Unfortunately, the individual selling the coins, who goes by the name of Michael Millard, has already conned one collector I know of, out of over $4000, he has an English accent and sends the coins from an address in Texas. The fakes themselves are not a concern to the collecting community as they are well known ones; it is his method of operation that poses the greatest danger. I have been in contact with the ANA, Mr. Millard claims to be an ANA member.>

Please note. I have in the past bought coins from a chap called Keith Chapman who trades as anglosaxoncoins.com I know of no reason to think that he is at all associated with the above company.

Guest Kingdomspast

I take great offense at Antony Wilson' s posting and belive that he owes me an apology

It seems I stand accused by Anthony Wilson of York coins of perpertrating a scam on Ebay. The accusation states that I listed one of his coins , an Edward the Elder penny using his pictures and his description. This is absolute rubbish. It was me who actually notified Mr. Wilson that a coin bearing his watermark was up for sale and asking if he was the vendor as I wished to bid on it. I received a reply thanking me for notifying him. The coin listing is #Item number: 330034545525 sold by jimboturbo . The link is http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...fromZR40QQfviZ1

The emails that Mr Wilson and I exchanged :

My pleasure Antony. I knew that you were not the vendor and searched your

database as I thought the vendor may have copied one of your pictures and

was selling a coin he did not have.

Regards

Michael

----- Original Message -----

To: "'Kingdomspast'" <sales@kingdomspast.com>

Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 9:42 PM

Subject: RE: 330034545525

Guest Guest

[seems my reply did not go through in its entirity

I take great offense at Antony Wilson' s posting and belive that he owes me an apology

It seems I stand accused by Anthony Wilson of York coins of perpertrating a scam on Ebay. The accusation states that I listed one of his coins , an Edward the Elder penny using his pictures and his description. This is absolute rubbish. It was me who actually notified Mr. Wilson that a coin bearing his watermark was up for sale and asking if he was the vendor as I wished to bid on it. I received a reply thanking me for notifying him. The coin listing is #Item number: 330034545525 sold by jimboturbo . The link is http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...fromZR40QQfviZ1

The emails that Mr Wilson and I exchanged :

My pleasure Antony. I knew that you were not the vendor and searched your

database as I thought the vendor may have copied one of your pictures and

was selling a coin he did not have.

Regards

Michael

----- Original Message -----

To: "'Kingdomspast'" <sales@kingdomspast.com>

Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 9:42 PM

Subject: RE: 330034545525

> Michael,

>

> Thank you for the 'heads up' on this. I sold the coin sometime ago to it

> would appear someone else. I do not allow the use of my images for

> commercial purposes and have instructed the seller to remove this image

> immediately.

>

> Regards,

>

> Antony Wilson.

>

> ________________________________

>

> From: Kingdomspast [mailto:sales@kingdomspast.com]

> Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 10:19 PM

> To: inquiry@yorkcoins.com

> Subject: 330034545525

>

>

> Hello

> There is a coin item number 330034545525 currently for sale on Ebay which

> bears your watermark stamp. Is it York coins who is selling it or a scam?

>

> Regards

> Michael