British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Sylvester

Favourite monarchs

From a coin collecting point of view, name your favourite 5 monarchs (they don't have to be English/British)... (monarchs that have the best designs, nicest coins etc...)

Mine would be; (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER)

1) James II

2) Charles II

3) Stephen

4) William IV

5) Queen Mary, or perhaps Richard II? (I need a coin from both of these, hopefully a gold coin from the latter... one day, one day).

The French kings' portraits are super but for British monarchs I would probably go with James II and Charles II

Each to their own, but I find them a bit too fussy. I prefer the simple elegance of Wyon's effigy of William IV or De Saulles' for Edward VII. If it has to be something more elaborate, then I'd go for Boehm's jubilee head portrait of Victoria - unjustly maligned in my opinion.

And we haven't even mentioned reverses...

G

For me it would be:-

1) Queen Victoria

2) William IV (he also has a very nice name! ;) )

3) Edward VII

4) George III

5) George II (love the simple effigy)

For me it would be:-

1) Queen Victoria

2) William IV (he also has a very nice name! ;) )

3) Edward VII

4) George III

5) George II (love the simple effigy)

I'll admit i love the young head coinage of George II, not too keen on the old head stuff.

Each to their own, but I find them a bit too fussy. I prefer the simple elegance of Wyon's effigy of William IV or De Saulles' for Edward VII. If it has to be something more elaborate, then I'd go for Boehm's jubilee head portrait of Victoria - unjustly maligned in my opinion.

And we haven't even mentioned reverses...

G

What about Victoria's gothic obverse... now that is a beauty!

Didn't include Victoria though because i'm not very fussed about the old head portrait.

I like the Jubilee portrait. The young head is nice, but a bit simple...

I mist admit Edward VII and George V are amongst my least favourite... hate grading them, cos i can't, especially Edward VII.

For me, Wyon's young head portrait of Victoria is the last word!! Simple, modest, elegant, unassuming.... it's just practically purfect.

Consider a young head penny... now consider a young head Jersey 1/13th shilling. She has a patterned ribbon in her hair instead of a plain one... just that extra fussy detail spoils it for me!

There's a web site out there all about Wyon... apparently Victoria herself said to him "You always represent me favourably." What a compliment!

There's a web site out there all about Wyon... apparently Victoria herself said to him "You always represent me favourably." What a compliment!

You are correct!

I still like the bun head though!

For me, Wyon's young head portrait of Victoria is the last word!! Simple, modest, elegant, unassuming.... it's just practically purfect.

I agree with your every word! THE YOUNG HEAD IS THE BEST! I also love the obverse of the gothic florin (and crown!!), and the Jubilee head. Not so keen on the old head or the bun head though! :D

Guest Eliza

My first vote goes to the Young Head Queen Victoria; but for showing a gal a good time, I'd have to give the nod to Charles II. What a rake! The 1663 shilling portrait with that "Yeah, baby, I mean YOU!" twinkle. Maybe it's just the long hair ... :)

Yeah, you just can't beat the Victorian young head, itr gets my first vote as well!! :D

Guest Eliza

I should mention Tsar Nicholas II, on the Rubles about 1896-1915, too.

I have a 1/10Ecu 1777/8 overstrike which was incredibly inexpensive. Louis XVI looks noble but sad on that item ...

And I'd vote for Wilhelmina of the Netherlands, too.

How about "best critters"? I'd vote for either the US "Flying Eagle" cent (1857-59) or the Wren on the farthing. I mean "regular issues," too, not "mint products."

E.

How about "best critters"? I'd vote for either the US "Flying Eagle" cent (1857-59) or the Wren on the farthing. I mean "regular issues," too, not "mint products."

E.

At the risk of getting shot...

Washington Quarter reverse (i just love it!)

Morgan Dollar reverse, and $20 liberty type III rev.

Can't think of any others from the top of my head.

I should mention Tsar Nicholas II, on the Rubles about 1896-1915, too. 

I have a 1/10Ecu 1777/8 overstrike which was incredibly inexpensive.  Louis XVI looks noble but sad on that item ...

And I'd vote for Wilhelmina of the Netherlands, too.

How about "best critters"?  I'd vote for either the US "Flying Eagle" cent (1857-59) or the Wren on the farthing.  I mean "regular issues," too, not "mint products."

E.

With his bushy beard! I always think his head is too big on those coins... Have you seen photos of him with George V? They look really alike, but I discovered that they are only related by marriage. Mind you, some German states kings had most impressive beards!

Wilhemina looks good, but which portrait? I think the one with the long, slender neck... very elegant. Did you read that ex queen Juliana died only recently?

As for critters... it's hard to think of anything (non-mythical) but birds. I already mentioned the Athenian owl in another thread. In a similar ancient vein I really like the celtic horses.

More modern, I'd have to say the impressive antelopes and deer on Southern Rhodesia florins, South African crowns and Mauritius too (not sure of the denomination...) BTW, you can keep the Irish farmyard collection!

Personally I love the Isle of Man cat coins, but of course I wouldn't be caught dead collecting them :) If I find a bargain one I buy it to give as a present...

I have some photos of Irish farm animal patterns, other designs that were considered for the first modern Irish coinage, and some look far better than the designs they stuck with. I suppose taste must change over time.

Talking of Irish coins I found a 1943 Half Crown yesterday in Fine, one of only an estimated 400, as they were recalled to be melted down (they were .750 silver) and they were replaced with cu-ni coins. Actually, the horse on the back of that isn't too bad.

But yes, I do like the South Afriacan Springbok (isn't that the correct animal name?) on my 1947 ZAR proof 5 Shilling coin (soon to appear in the colonial section).

[

They look really alike, but I discovered that they are only related by marriage.

Actually their mothers were sisters, so that makes them blood first cousins. You're half right about the relationship by marriage though - Nicholas's wife was also George V's first cousin, so they were cousins by marriage as well. Blame Queen Victoria (and Christian IX of Denmark).

As for critters... it's hard to think of anything (non-mythical) but birds. I already mentioned the Athenian owl in another thread. In a similar ancient vein I really like the celtic horses.

I love the Athenian Owl too. I'm glad they kept it on the euro coins.

I visited Blackburn Museum this morning and on the early Greek coins from Athens they have the Athenian Owl on. I was really looking forward to seeing the collection but they only had about 100 out. I know they have a Charles II Reddite Pattern Crown, some Commonwealth pieces and a Charles I Triple Unite but those weren't on display! I felt cheated

I visited Blackburn Museum this morning and on the early Greek coins from Athens they have the Athenian Owl on. I was really looking forward to seeing the collection but they only had about 100 out. I know they have a Charles II Reddite Pattern Crown, some Commonwealth pieces and a Charles I Triple Unite but those weren't on display! I felt cheated

Does Manchester Museum have a triple unite knocking about?

[

They look really alike, but I discovered that they are only related by marriage.

Actually their mothers were sisters, so that makes them blood first cousins. You're half right about the relationship by marriage though - Nicholas's wife was also George V's first cousin, so they were cousins by marriage as well. Blame Queen Victoria (and Christian IX of Denmark).

Ahhhh that's it! I was looking for a relationship through Victoria and only found the marriage but I missed the mothers.

Thank you for pointing that out.... they really were all in it together weren't they?

Thank you for pointing that out.... they really were all in it together weren't they?

Oh yes, centuries of inbreeding :P

Only 100? :blink: If they want a littlebuisness they could at least put some of the better ones out surely.

Only 100? :blink: If they want a little buisness they could at least put some of the better ones out surely.

Maybe all the nice ones were out for cleaning... :lol:

Maybe all the nice ones were out for cleaning...

Aargh beyond words

Only 100?  If they want a littlebuisness they could at least put some of the better ones out surely.

Well I estimated 100 because they had them mounted on this transparent map of the Mediterranean and I guess 100, it could be 50 for all I can remember. Oh yeah and Museums don't need business - the majority are funded by the State.