British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Randy

Britannias

Guest Randy

I am an American collector and I have found the 1999 and 2000 two-pound Britannia pure silver coins to be amongst the most beautiful coins ever minted. They compare, possibly better, to the American Eagle coins that were started in 1986, and the design of those coins have remainded unchanged since the start of that series. Those are some very nice desgns but the one thing I love about the Britannia coins is that the design changes from year to year. To me the first 2 years are the most spectacular, but since I have started on the series I will get the 2001 and 2002 coins too to keep the continuity of the set going. My hat is off to the British mints for their fantastic designs and that they change them from year to year. Another very nice design element of the Britannia's is that unlike the American coins, the background has the mirror finish and the raised areas is frosted, which is the opposite of the British versions, where the raised areas have the mirror finish and the background has the frosted look. That makes the raised areas really stand out tremendously.

you know more about them than i do!

I agree with Randy. The Silver Britannia Proof coins are the only Modern coins that I have bought and I think they are stunning. I thought it would be nice to have a modern example of a silver coin for each year along side my 17th and 18th century examples!!

However, I don't think there is a different design for every year. I thought I read somewhere that Phillip Nathan had made 4/5 designs and as these have all been used earlier designs are going to be re-used - the 2004 design for example was first used in 1998? I'm not sure and as I'm at work I have no reference books with me!!!!

However, I don't think there is a different design for every year. I thought I read somewhere that Phillip Nathan had made 4/5 designs and as these have all been used earlier designs are going to be re-used - the 2004 design for example was first used in 1998? I'm not sure and as I'm at work I have no reference books with me!!!!

You're correct! Philip Nathan Made four different designs and the 2004 design was first used in 1998! :D

It's quite amazing to see how Britannia has changed from Ancient times to the 21st century:

Evolution of Britannia

The amount of times the mint have used Britannia! And they've changed it loads. Can they not think of another design to put on the coins?! :o

Britannia is a symbol of Britain, much like the American Eagle. It has evolved an looks pretty good on today's coins. Who else would they put on who symbolises so much?

i must admit my ignorance here...

I knew that they made Britannia Coins, but i had no idea that they changed the design every year! Do they change it for the gold ones too?

I'm afraid i rarely get to delve far out of the 17th century these days... the Charles II and James II coins just keep pulling me back in, i'll never get free.

As far as I know they do the same for gold as for silver

I know what you mean Sylvester!

I too am loyal to early milled. Not really interested in Ancient, foreign or modern issues. As well as Charles II and James II, I think the coins of William and Mary and the First two Georges are fantastic!

I knew that they made Britannia Coins, but i had no idea that they changed the design every year! Do they change it for the gold ones too?

Yes, each year the gold and silver ones get changed to the same design! B)

I know what you mean Sylvester!

I too am loyal to early milled. Not really interested in Ancient, foreign or modern issues. As well as Charles II and James II, I think the coins of William and Mary and the First two Georges are fantastic!

I totally agree with you Charles II-George II is a fascinating time period, with some gorgeous coins.

I must admit i have a bit of a liking for half guineas and sixpences.