British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Emperor Oli

Edward VII Coronation coin.......1911?!

Ive had this oddity knocking around for a while but never figured out what it was. Any help would be appreciated but I can't see why it says "Coronation Coin" on the obverse and the date as "1911" on the reverse. I'm fiddling with pics I'll put some up in a minute

Pic 1

post-32-1078773672_thumb.jpg

Pic 2

post-32-1078773992_thumb.jpg

I dunno. Could you tell us the metal, that might help! Maybe it is a medal of some kind. Does anybody here collect medals?

Geoff will know, where are you Geoff?

Geoff will know, where are you Geoff?

I'm asking the same question!

Geoff is here!

Almost certainly a medal - there were more for Edward VII than anyone - but very puzzling. The odd thing is that it says "Coronation coin" on it. Any chance of seeing the reverse? A coronation medal should somewhere give the date 26 June 1902 - although as all anoraks will tell you, the ceremony was postponed until 9 August. Only the official medals have the correct date. 1911 is the year of George V's coronation. A mule?

The other odd thing is that there's no "Omn" after Britt.

Looking forward to a reverse pic.

G

The reverse pic is the St George one above I believe.

The reverse pic is the St George one above I believe.

It is indeed, Chris.

A coronation medal should somewhere give the date 26 June 1902 - although as all anoraks will tell you, the ceremony was postponed until 9 August. Only the official medals have the correct date. 1911 is the year of George V's coronation. A mule?

No specific date as such on it, only the year - 1911

Guest Thomas from Germany

Ive had this oddity knocking around for a while but never figured out what it was. Any help would be appreciated but I can't see why it says "Coronation Coin" on the obverse and the date as "1911" on the reverse. I'm fiddling with pics I'll put some up in a minute

It is a Coronation Coin

Bust right. Edwardvs VII D.G. Britt. Coronation Coin.

Rev. George on horse slaying dragon date below.

Bronze. 19mm.

Is it Not One of those Greek fakes?

The thread is over 7 years old!!!!!