British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

josie

IS THERE A CERTIFICATION COMPANY BASE IN EUROPE

Is there a slabbing or company certifiying coins base in europe for some of us may take a holiday and slab or certify they coin for people like to travel and it is time to have one for the expanding europe there past coin and use in circulation to be studied and recorded for we know that US has plenty of it and didnt seen any major companies expanding there base to the world or decentralizing for they have to train and make courses to novice or beginners or for those who love studying it, also i believe that there is many expert in there field of speaciality in most country of the world that teach them.

Lockdales of Ipswich offer slabbed coins so they may know how you'd go about this but I'm not aware of any European services. This is in part because European, or at least British, collectors appear less than keen on 'slabbed' coins. (See several threads on this site).

You need to remember that some certification services have much better reputations than others so chosing carefully might pay off.

You should also be aware that, at least in the UK, the market for slabbed coins is also different from that for 'numismatic' items. Slabbed coins are pretty much just an investment novelty 'over here'.

By the way josie please could you use a bit more punctuation line breaks cos your postings are interesting but it's really difficult to read a streamofconsciousness without any breaks between the various subjects or questions and sometimes I simply lose the thread of where you're going? :D

Ah the perpetual 'to slab' or 'not to slab' debate... that goes around.

Lockdales of Ipswich offer slabbed coins so they may know how you'd go about this but I'm not aware of any European services. This is in part because European, or at least British, collectors appear less than keen on 'slabbed' coins. (See several threads on this site).

You need to remember that some certification services have much better reputations than others so chosing carefully might pay off.

You should also be aware that, at least in the UK, the market for slabbed coins is also different from that for 'numismatic' items. Slabbed coins are pretty much just an investment novelty 'over here'.

By the way josie please could you use a bit more punctuation line breaks cos your postings are interesting but it's really difficult to read a streamofconsciousness without any breaks between the various subjects or questions and sometimes I simply lose the thread of where you're going? :D

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY, yes most of the time i forgot to make a comma or pause, just browse on the site, THANKS for the info,British and othre european countries have a long line of history as you mentioned, much more longer history than the USA i may say..., like in this forum there is a section where coin from 16th century upto now is being confirmed and verified, if USA have a very very wide record of there coinage it is applicable to other countries who is more longer history than them,if most of the coin in past is not recorded well it be lost and not be preserve in both records and actual coin for most of the metal is melted when the nation is in crisis, at least it is recorded and studied in present and know the story behind it which is a part of history of one nation, there is a saying or quote that a man is searching for a treasure start in small one wanted a bigger one both in material and non material, well im starting in small on....

Ah the perpetual 'to slab' or 'not to slab' debate... that goes around.

YES the old long question slab or not, between a company and a collector am I right... thus slab coin preseve much longer than unslab? there are different level of condition of coin as for every or all things in this world lucky for those who have them and love them......

Edited by TomGoodheart

Slab/ornot varies from collector to collector. It all comes down to 'how they collect', 'what they collect' and 'why they collect'.

Take for example these two coins;

1) Proof 1969 Kennedy half in MS67

Versus

2) A circulated Denarius of Trajan dating to the 2nd century CE.

One has value in grade and condition which, if not encapsulated somehow (be it slab or airtite) many be prone to knocks or damage.

The other has more value in history and archaeology than in grade.

Big difference.

As for my own personal preference i disagree with slabbing not so much on the fact that the coin is encapsulated (true i physically have to handle my coins to get any pleasure out of them), but more on the fact that emphasis is placed upon grade. There's more to coins than grade and i believe slabbing is making many collectors miss the bigger picture of the whole joy of numismatics, of which grade is only part.

Secondly slabs infer "objective" grading, indeed this is misleading there is not such thing as 'objective' grading, all grading is in the eye of the beholder and thus 'subjective'. What i think is pretty might make Oli choke on his laurels.

:rolleyes:

I believe I read or heard somewhere that London Coin are gearing up to offer a grading service that I assume will include slabbing. Not being interested in slabbing as I own a very nice mahogany coin cabinet, I can see a benifit with slabbing a coin after grading in that it locks the coin to the grading.

Slab/ornot varies from collector to collector. It all comes down to 'how they collect', 'what they collect' and 'why they collect'.

Take for example these two coins;

1) Proof 1969 Kennedy half in MS67

Versus

2) A circulated Denarius of Trajan dating to the 2nd century CE.

One has value in grade and condition which, if not encapsulated somehow (be it slab or airtite) many be prone to knocks or damage.

The other has more value in history and archaeology than in grade.

Big difference.

As for my own personal preference i disagree with slabbing not so much on the fact that the coin is encapsulated (true i physically have to handle my coins to get any pleasure out of them), but more on the fact that emphasis is placed upon grade. There's more to coins than grade and i believe slabbing is making many collectors miss the bigger picture of the whole joy of numismatics, of which grade is only part.

Secondly slabs infer "objective" grading, indeed this is misleading there is not such thing as 'objective' grading, all grading is in the eye of the beholder and thus 'subjective'. What i think is pretty might make Oli choke on his laurels.

:rolleyes:

[/quote

Well...... for me old rare coin should be really preseve either by encapsulation or other form, or any other rare old artifacts,once lost is quite hard to gain, True grading is part, but judging the grade or condition of the coin is another before you judge you are knowledgeble by expierence for a long time not only seen once but may specimen or coin, and seen other coin that other didnt see at all, as for the grade and the price as you said depends on who collect them fewer who collect lesser the price,slabbing also record there coins, After slabbing and before affect the price of the coin especially in modern coins it is must be the case, where there are collector that are satisfied looking at thier coin for a while and want to upgrade thier coin to have a more pleasure looking at upgrade coin also the price, Well im just a beginner what does collector do when they have all the coin they want that is all good or excellent condition slab and unslab what will be next in line?

YES the old long question slab or not, between a company and a collector am I right... thus slab coin preseve much longer than unslab? there are different level of condition of coin as for every or all things in this world lucky for those who have them and love them......
Hmm... I think the general question is whether British collectors want to pay a premium for a coin an American (for pretty much all grading companies employ US graders) has graded and stuck in a bit of plastic when they are capable of grading the coin for themselves. They then have to break the coin out of the slab at risk of damage so they can store it in a cabinet where generations of other coins have happily survived the passage of time.

For an example of where it all goes wrong this coin obtained the grade MS62 (= Unc or EF+) and a price tag of over $1000 (£560) because neither the (US) grader nor cataloguer had seen a wide enough selection of similar coins...

post-129-1159718126_thumb.jpg

THANK YOU for your reply, As I said earlier there are other countries longer history than the USA...they should have a grading company with all thier expert pack in one company to catalogue and record all coins in europe as for the service it goes along there is also a downside studying and looking and checking for detail of the coin for me it is fair to have thier fee, If the major company in the USA dont want to step it is up to the expert here in europe if they want, or not, so that coin you have will happen again and grade other coin, for all the expert here channel there knowledge in one big company and to slab the old coin,

what does collector do when they have all the coin they want that is all good or excellent condition slab and unslab what will be next in line?

Sadly I've never met anyone with enough money that they had all the coins they want! I have found that however excellent a coin you may have, there's a chance there will be a better out there somewhere. Getting hold of it however may not be that easy!

Luckily for other Charles I shilling collectors, I quite like my coins to have some evidence of how they were made and that they were actually used as money. For me at least, there is a level above which coins are just 'too perfect' and just become museum specimens.

As for grading companies in all the European countries josie, I think you're missing the fact that it would only be worth it if there was a market for such a thing. On the basis of the discussions on this forum it is debatable whether there is any demand outside the United States. Coins are only graded and slabbed because their owners want this. I would suggest that the majority of collectors here don't.

I agree with Tom! Centuries of coin collectors have used the coin cabinet without the polution of the dreaded plasic. Besides, I need a coin to be circulated to give it a sense of history. Many quite admirable coins I've seen slabbed look as though they were made yesterday - where's the romance of history in that? :huh:

I believe I read or heard somewhere that London Coin are gearing up to offer a grading service that I assume will include slabbing. Not being interested in slabbing as I own a very nice mahogany coin cabinet, I can see a benifit with slabbing a coin after grading in that it locks the coin to the grading.

You taking care good care of your coins, for there is a lot of coins minted all over the world and some been put back in the goverment to be melted and other melt even thier gold and national treasure when they are in crisis for good coins you have it must have survived those two and other things that your coin still exist today, that you have that coin others dont and maybe coins that are not recorded and track most slabbing company have population report good for them, migth be also good for other that they were recorded and count the number that they still exist today few and endangered for they may be gone or lost at least it is recorded in slabbing company how many they are and in what condition or grade, it also lower and up the price of the coin well it is recorded both in company and in books for other to see that they dont have THANK YOU

I agree with Tom! Centuries of coin collectors have used the coin cabinet without the polution of the dreaded plasic. Besides, I need a coin to be circulated to give it a sense of history. Many quite admirable coins I've seen slabbed look as though they were made yesterday - where's the romance of history in that? :huh:

Yep this forum is the mahogany cabinet fraternity. :)

Well...... for me old rare coin should be really preseve either by encapsulation or other form, or any other rare old artifacts,once lost is quite hard to gain, True grading is part, but judging the grade or condition of the coin is another before you judge you are knowledgeble by expierence for a long time not only seen once but may specimen or coin, and seen other coin that other didnt see at all, as for the grade and the price as you said depends on who collect them fewer who collect lesser the price,slabbing also record there coins,* After slabbing and before affect the price of the coin especially in modern coins it is must be the case, where there are collector that are satisfied looking at thier coin for a while and want to upgrade thier coin to have a more pleasure looking at upgrade coin ** also the price, Well im just a beginner what does collector do when they have all the coin they want that is all good or excellent condition slab and unslab what will be next in line?

* Are you referring to population reports here? If so it's probably worth while me pointing out one small often overlooked point by even more experience collectors. In the US coins are slabbed and given population reports (i.e 12 grade as this 3 higher), however, they quickly become very unaccurate, firstly because coins submitted after that might be the same type and add a few more to the population report. However, simultaneously many coins are cracked out and resubmitted regularly! So How many have been added to that 12 since it was graded and how many lost from that 12 due to resubmissions. Which to me makes the whole pop. report a pretty useless measure. It's simply put there by slabbing companies as a selling gimmick.. kind of "look how rare this is!".

** Another small point which you'll no doubt encounter as you become more experienced, and it's worth holding in mind, "higher grade doesn't always mean better or nicer". Sometimes a coin in EF can look way better than another one in a higher grade. Be it differences in strike, tone, or whatever. Some coins simply have more eye appeal than others, and eye appeal has nothing to do with grading. Let no one try and convince you otherwise. It's an important point that's often overlooked. You will no doubt here colectors and dealers saying that AU58s often look far nicer than MS60s. MS60 might have the higher state of preservation but AU58 whilst a lower grade can often turn out nicer looking specimens.

If they last for centuries well that will be case, Just asking why, now I know, JUST A FAVOR SINCE IM NEW DONT KNOW HOW TO MAKE A POLL TITLE SLABBING COMPANY IN EUROPE, IN FAVOR, NOT FAVOR for this topic most of you dont want so just a try, mentioning try nobody try to open slabbing company here in europe hope will start a poll to take a pulse of europe

Why does that make me think of David Dickinson?

post-129-1159727368_thumb.jpg

Why does that make me think of David Dickinson?

post-129-1159727368_thumb.jpg

DEALING WITH DICKINSON HE LOVES MAHOGANY FURNITURE I WATCH MOST OF THE PROGRAMS IN BBC ANTIQUES ROADSHOW, CARBOOTH, AND CASH IN THE ATTIC, FUNNY CLICK ON BBC WEBSITE 3 YEARS AGO FOR LINK IN COIN ENDED HERE

Well...... for me old rare coin should be really preseve either by encapsulation or other form, or any other rare old artifacts,once lost is quite hard to gain, True grading is part, but judging the grade or condition of the coin is another before you judge you are knowledgeble by expierence for a long time not only seen once but may specimen or coin, and seen other coin that other didnt see at all, as for the grade and the price as you said depends on who collect them fewer who collect lesser the price,slabbing also record there coins,* After slabbing and before affect the price of the coin especially in modern coins it is must be the case, where there are collector that are satisfied looking at thier coin for a while and want to upgrade thier coin to have a more pleasure looking at upgrade coin ** also the price, Well im just a beginner what does collector do when they have all the coin they want that is all good or excellent condition slab and unslab what will be next in line?

* Are you referring to population reports here? If so it's probably worth while me pointing out one small often overlooked point by even more experience collectors. In the US coins are slabbed and given population reports (i.e 12 grade as this 3 higher), however, they quickly become very unaccurate, firstly because coins submitted after that might be the same type and add a few more to the population report. However, simultaneously many coins are cracked out and resubmitted regularly! So How many have been added to that 12 since it was graded and how many lost from that 12 due to resubmissions. Which to me makes the whole pop. report a pretty useless measure. It's simply put there by slabbing companies as a selling gimmick.. kind of "look how rare this is!".

** Another small point which you'll no doubt encounter as you become more experienced, and it's worth holding in mind, "higher grade doesn't always mean better or nicer". Sometimes a coin in EF can look way better than another one in a higher grade. Be it differences in strike, tone, or whatever. Some coins simply have more eye appeal than others, and eye appeal has nothing to do with grading. Let no one try and convince you otherwise. It's an important point that's often overlooked. You will no doubt here colectors and dealers saying that AU58s often look far nicer than MS60s. MS60 might have the higher state of preservation but AU58 whilst a lower grade can often turn out nicer looking specimens.

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO, well readers know now that they the collector do resubmit the coin in other grading company so the pop. report is useless at least it is recorded, for the pricise record and for the rare thing, for the company that will going to slab the coin for grading ,the collector own the coin but the service made by the company so in the pop. report if the collector think that there is many or rare type of the coins he have somewhat base his presumption of the price, either the company hype this pop. report or not it is one of the factor affecting the price, is there a policy by the company if the collector break the slab for it bare the name of the company, if he dont reslub it he maybe report to the company that the slub is broken so the company will strip it to there record of pop. report but have a record that they slab it once in the past as for other collector who have many and reslab thier coin what will be the affect on that to the other also for those who break thier slab and dont reslab, AT LEAST YOU SAID THAT THIS THINGS HAPPEN COMPANY AND COLLECTOR NOW ARE UP TO THIER TOES, Also other thing that the collector here in europe is distinct from USA a this forum have been moving into. they dont want slabbing company I will ACCEPT that, in the past watch one of the series of show in BBC a TV presenter said he got to slab the coin to the US for europe as for i observe are also a great collector, At first did the slabbing company got a heavy opposition when they planning to have a company in there, since it was already founded and many more follow maybe at first the company is more precise in their POP. report for it is only ONE,if europe dont what a slabbing I also ACCEPT that but thier are other collector and dealers in thier field base in EUROPE, AMERICA,CANADA, AND AUSTRALIA that don only collect thier coin, but also of the other counrty as well, SLAB OR NOT SLAB, here is the thing thus most of the SLABBING COMPANY EMPLOY A BRITISH EXPERT MAY HE BE A AMERICAN OR EUROPEAN, THUS HE SEE MANY SPICEMEN TO MAKE HIS JUDGEMENT FAIR, IT IS GOOD FOR OTHER COLLETOR TO COLLECT COIN FROM OTHER COUNTRY BUT IT IS BETTER IF HE IS BASE TO WHERE THE COIN SOURCE OR WHERE IT IS MADE, THUS IT IS ALSO THRU THAT US A GOVT. HAVE A BILL OR LAW TO RETURN FOREIGN COINS TO THIER COUNTRY OF ORIGIN THUS THIS MEAN THAT THEY DO COLLECT COIN OF DIFF. TYPE OUTHERE. MOST TIME I SEARCH FOR THE INFO IN THE INTERNET FOR VARIETY IN GB OR IRELAND COINS MOST BRITISH COIN THIER SITE REPLY MORE RESEARCH AND, STUDY THUS ALL THE FORUM FORMAT THE REPORTING OF NEW FIND IS GOOD THING TO HEAR, THUS THIS NEED TO BE PUBLISHED FOR NEXT YEAR BOOK, FOR THAT ONE YEAR THUS ANY OTHER MEDIUM INFORM THE COLLECTOR THEY HAVE NEW FIND OR IT IS BETTER TO HAVE A SLABBING COMPANY TO SLAB IT FOR THEY HAVE ALSO HAVE THE EXPERT WHEATHER OR NOT IN COLLABORATION OF FELLOW EXPERT AGAINST SLABBING, THUS COMPANY CREATE MORE INTEREST IN COIN TO STUDY THEM, SLABBING A COIN A NEW FIND ALL THAT EXIST AND OTHER THAT WILL FOLLOW, MOST OF THE SITE WILL REPLY ASK A BRITISH COIN EXPERT........

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO, well readers know now that they the collector do resubmit the coin in other grading company so the pop. report is useless at least it is recorded, for the pricise record and for the rare thing, for the company that will going to slab the coin for grading ,the collector own the coin but the service made by the company so in the pop. report if the collector think that there is many or rare type of the coins he have somewhat base his presumption of the price, either the company hype this pop. report or not it is one of the factor affecting the price, is there a policy by the company if the collector break the slab for it bare the name of the company, if he dont reslub it he maybe report to the company that the slub is broken so the company will strip it to there record of pop. report but have a record that they slab it once in the past as for other collector who have many and reslab thier coin what will be the affect on that to the other also for those who break thier slab and dont reslab, AT LEAST YOU SAID THAT THIS THINGS HAPPEN COMPANY AND COLLECTOR NOW ARE UP TO THIER TOES, Also other thing that the collector here in europe is distinct from USA a this forum have been moving into. they dont want slabbing company I will ACCEPT that, in the past watch one of the series of show in BBC a TV presenter said he got to slab the coin to the US for europe as for i observe are also a great collector, At first did the slabbing company got a heavy opposition when they planning to have a company in there, since it was already founded and many more follow maybe at first the company is more precise in their POP. report for it is only ONE,if europe dont what a slabbing I also ACCEPT that but thier are other collector and dealers in thier field base in EUROPE, AMERICA,CANADA, AND AUSTRALIA that don only collect thier coin, but also of the other counrty as well, SLAB OR NOT SLAB, here is the thing thus most of the SLABBING COMPANY EMPLOY A BRITISH EXPERT MAY HE BE A AMERICAN OR EUROPEAN, THUS HE SEE MANY SPICEMEN TO MAKE HIS JUDGEMENT FAIR, IT IS GOOD FOR OTHER COLLETOR TO COLLECT COIN FROM OTHER COUNTRY BUT IT IS BETTER IF HE IS BASE TO WHERE THE COIN SOURCE OR WHERE IT IS MADE, THUS IT IS ALSO THRU THAT US A GOVT. HAVE A BILL OR LAW TO RETURN FOREIGN COINS TO THIER COUNTRY OF ORIGIN THUS THIS MEAN THAT THEY DO COLLECT COIN OF DIFF. TYPE OUTHERE. MOST TIME I SEARCH FOR THE INFO IN THE INTERNET FOR VARIETY IN GB OR IRELAND COINS MOST BRITISH COIN THIER SITE REPLY MORE RESEARCH AND, STUDY THUS ALL THE FORUM FORMAT THE REPORTING OF NEW FIND IS GOOD THING TO HEAR, THUS THIS NEED TO BE PUBLISHED FOR NEXT YEAR BOOK, FOR THAT ONE YEAR THUS ANY OTHER MEDIUM INFORM THE COLLECTOR THEY HAVE NEW FIND OR IT IS BETTER TO HAVE A SLABBING COMPANY TO SLAB IT FOR THEY HAVE ALSO HAVE THE EXPERT WHEATHER OR NOT IN COLLABORATION OF FELLOW EXPERT AGAINST SLABBING, THUS COMPANY CREATE MORE INTEREST IN COIN TO STUDY THEM, SLABBING A COIN A NEW FIND ALL THAT EXIST AND OTHER THAT WILL FOLLOW, MOST OF THE SITE WILL REPLY ASK A BRITISH COIN EXPERT........

????????? I'm sorry Josie, but I can't understand what you are trying to say. Could you possibly use punctuation and paragraphs and keep the related bits together. Thanks.

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO, well readers know now that they the collector do resubmit the coin in other grading company so the pop. report is useless at least it is recorded, for the pricise record and for the rare thing, for the company that will going to slab the coin for grading ,the collector own the coin, but the service made by the company so in the pop. report if the collector think that there is many or rare type of the coins he have somewhat base his presumption of the price, either the company hype this pop. report or not it is one of the factor affecting the price, is there a policy by the company if the collector break the slab for it bare the name of the company, if he dont reslub it, he maybe report to the company that the slub is broken so the company will strip it to there record, of pop. report but have a record that they slab it once in the past as for other collector who have many coin and reslab thier coin what will be the effect on that to the other collector, also for those who break thier slab and dont reslab, AT LEAST YOU SAID THAT THIS THINGS HAPPEN COMPANY AND COLLECTOR NOW ARE UP TO THIER TOES, Also other thing that the collector here in europe is distinct from USA a this forum have been moving into. they dont want slabbing company I will ACCEPT that, in the past watch one of the series of show in BBC a TV presenter said he got to slab the coin to the US, for europe as for i observe are also a great collector,They do collect things they like but not into certefiction At first did the slabbing company in the USA got a heavy opposition when they planning to have a company in there, since it was already founded and many more follow maybe, at first the company is more precise in their POP. report for it is only ONE, COMPANY ON THAT TIME if europe dont what a slabbing I also ACCEPT that, but thier are other collector and dealers in thier field base in EUROPE, AMERICA,CANADA, AND AUSTRALIA that collect thier coin, but also of the other counrty as well, SLAB OR NOT SLAB, here is the thing thus most of the SLABBING COMPANY EMPLOY A BRITISH EXPERT MAY HE BE A AMERICAN OR EUROPEAN, THUS HE SEE MANY SPICEMEN TO MAKE HIS JUDGEMENT FAIR, IT IS GOOD FOR OTHER COLLETOR TO COLLECT COIN FROM OTHER COUNTRY BUT IT IS BETTER IF HE IS BASE TO WHERE THE COIN SOURCE OR WHERE IT IS MADE, THUS IT IS ALSO THRU THAT USA A COUNTRY AND A GOVT. HAVE A BILL OR LAW TO RETURN FOREIGN COINS TO THIER COUNTRY OF ORIGIN THUS THIS MEAN THAT THEY DO COLLECT COIN IN USA BESIDE THERE OWN COIN, MOST TIME I SEARCH FOR THE INFO IN THE INTERNET FOR VARIETY IN GB OR IRELAND COINS, MOST BRITISH COIN AT THIER SITE REPLY MORE RESEARCH AND, STUDY THUS ALL THE FORUM FORMAT THE REPORTING OF NEW FIND IS GOOD THING TO HEAR, THUS THIS NEED TO BE PUBLISHED FOR NEXT YEAR BOOK, FOR THAT ONE YEAR THUS ANY OTHER MEDIUM INFORM THE COLLECTOR THEY HAVE NEW FIND OR IT IS BETTER TO HAVE A SLABBING COMPANY TO SLAB COIN,FOR THEY HAVE ALSO HAVE THE EXPERT WHEATHER OR NOT IN COLLABORATION OF FELLOW EXPERT AGAINST SLABBING, THUS COMPANY CREATE MORE INTEREST IN COIN TO STUDY THEM, SLABBING A COIN ,A NEW FIND AN ERROR OR VARIETY , ALL THAT EXIST OR CONFIRMED IN THE PAST AND OTHER THAT WILL FOLLOW TO BE CONFIRMED, THEY OR THE COMPANY WILL DO MORE RESEARCH ON THEM MOST OF THE SITE I BROWSE, IF THERE IS A NEW FIND OR INQUIRY ABOUT BRITISH COINAGE THEY WILL REPLY ASK A BRITISH COIN EXPERT........

????????? I'm sorry Josie, but I can't understand what you are trying to say. Could you possibly use punctuation and paragraphs and keep the related bits together. Thanks.

THANK YOU ROB, WELL THE POINT IS THERE ARE COLLECTORS AND DEALERS AROUND THE WORLD, COLLECT SLAB AND UNSLAB COIN, IS BRITISH COIN AND BRITISH EXPERT ARE WELL OR EQUALLY REPRESENTED IN THE SLABBING COMPANY, TO GRADE AND RECORD THE COINS THEY COLLECT FOR CENTURIES.

It still comes down to - Who on earth certifies the people who grade? As grading is subjective, it all seems to be a matter of opinion. (Assessing 'mint' state coins against each other aside, though I personally think it a pointless exercise!) Lets seperate the investers from the numismatists and give them their own website! :rolleyes:

THANK YOU ROB, WELL THE POINT IS THERE ARE COLLECTORS AND DEALERS AROUND THE WORLD, COLLECT SLAB AND UNSLAB COIN, IS BRITISH COIN AND BRITISH EXPERT ARE WELL OR EQUALLY REPRESENTED IN THE SLABBING COMPANY, TO GRADE AND RECORD THE COINS THEY COLLECT FOR CENTURIES.

I hope I've interpreted this right.

There are people collecting both slabbed and unslabbed coins the world over. The main collectors of slabbed coins are in the US where an investment culture seems to predominate over one of collecting for pleasure. The slabbing companies are virtually all based in the US, and US currency is their main area of expertise. This accounts for their rather haphazard grading attributions where British coins are concerned due to a lack of experience of the older pieces. It is fair to say they only see higher grade coins, but there simply isn't the experience there to grade correctly. A large number of British coins end up being slabbed.

Slabbing hammered coins is a relatively recent phenomenon, but one which will only increase in volume now that the genie is out of the bottle.

YES the old coin is lower grade but who is the expert grading them american or european, about 1900 century all the secret, variety and error of europe while there out there and still not worn they can catch up also the coin in circulatoin the pound and the euro for better grade, since the expert are all base here and all the coins are struck in europe it is better to study them for the source is here

YES the old coin is lower grade but who is the expert grading them american or european, about 1900 century all the secret, variety and error of europe while there out there and still not worn they can catch up also the coin in circulatoin the pound and the euro for better grade, since the expert are all base here and all the coins are struck in europe it is better to study them for the source is here

Where are you exactly?