British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

josie

1908 penny same obverse as of 1907 great britain

there are many varities in great britain coins that i do not know bee to other forum this site pop up when a reply to ask a coin expert in british coin for 10 of millions of 1907 and 1908 penny was struck tony clayton web site mentioned that ID variety was reported but notconfirmed there are changes in 1907 close BRITT:OMN change to wide BRITT: OMN in 1908 both obverse and reverse was change in this year is this a variety of 1908 wide BRITT: OMN or a mule with a obverse of 1907 and a reverse of 1908

post-813-1159567057_thumb.jpg

there are many varities in great britain coins that i do not know bee to other forum this site pop up when a reply to ask a coin expert in british coin for 10 of millions of 1907 and 1908 penny was struck tony clayton web site mentioned that ID variety was reported but notconfirmed there are changes in 1907 close BRITT:OMN change to wide BRITT: OMN in 1908 both obverse and reverse was change in this year is this a variety of 1908 wide BRITT: OMN or a mule with a obverse of 1907 and a reverse of 1908

Welcome Josie, there are in fact six varieties of the 1908 penny, 2 different reverses which can be told apart by the position of the E in penny. The the vertical strock of he E either aligns with a tooth or a gap between teeth, coupled with this are 3 obverse. These are I of IND to tooth, I of IMP to tooth. I of IND to tooth, I of IMP to gap and finally I of IND to gap, : after BRITT to tooth.

Welcome Josie, there are in fact six varieties of the 1908 penny, 2 different reverses which can be told apart by the position of the E in penny. The the vertical strock of he E either aligns with a tooth or a gap between teeth, coupled with this are 3 obverse. These are I of IND to tooth, I of IMP to tooth. I of IND to tooth, I of IMP to gap and finally I of IND to gap, : after BRITT to tooth.

THANK YOU the reply and for the additional information on 1908 penny you have a great source of information is there a site for varieties reference beside forum format or a book where i can buy one and what good site to buy i saw a site mentioning if not mistaken peck and freeman most of the time i visit his site clayton site is very helpfull i like to know more varities in great britain and ireland coin im starting in lower denomination farthing to penny for now in 1900 to decimal, source or coin is not that hard to get for im here in ireland to look and see if i can find any difference, I really like to know the other reference

The cheapest book which is pretty good with varieties and a lot cheaper than the others, is my book, here:

http://www.predecimal.com/shop/product_inf...s-printed-books

The cheapest book which is pretty good with varieties and a lot cheaper than the others, is my book, here:

http://www.predecimal.com/shop/product_inf...s-printed-books

THANK YOU CHRIS great book and forum i like the coins of britain confirmed in the section of this forum, during the time i look in this forum seen some post ,you are an author, still browsing on your site for products, like the GB 2006 book,

A 1st class site for varieties is Michael Gouby www.michael-coins.co.uk

Thanks. The 2007 version will be available very soon.

Can someone post a picture of this 6 variety? for future reference

In 1908 there were 3 Obverse dies & 2 Reverse dies, used in 4 combinations...

Obv. 1 I of IND to tooth; I of IMP to gap

Obv. 1* I of IND to gap; (BRITT) : to tooth

Obv. 2 I of IND to tooth; I of IMP to tooth

Rev. c E of PENNY to tooth

Rev. d E of PENNY to gap

F-164 Obverse 1, Reverse C

F-164A Obverse 1*, Reverse C (the RARE one)

F-165 Obverse 2, Reverse C

F-166 Obverse 2, Reverse D

See attached scans.....

post-443-1160083202_thumb.jpg

post-443-1160083227_thumb.jpg

post-443-1160083321_thumb.jpg

post-443-1160083342_thumb.jpg

post-443-1160083512_thumb.jpg

post-443-1160083527_thumb.jpg

post-443-1160083570_thumb.jpg

post-443-1160083583_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

Thank you bronze,Great collection,now I know more when clayton wrote the phrase the colon becoming more central on his website, on stages or in process that the colon became central.