British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
newgold

coin sets...how many are there?

I have the following coin sets 1948, 53,54,62,63,64,65,66 and 67 in those plastic cases. What I would like to know is can I buy new cases? When did these coin sets start and end.

Thanks

Dear New gold,

Are you talking about the perspex cased British sets, that slide apart, with the coins set in thick card?

If so, the answer is I don't know, because none of them are official, and I get the feeling that the perpex cases were made at a later date. They do seem popular, but I have never been able to find a source of them.

I also don't know about date availability either. In fact I've only ever seen 60's sets.

well, the earliest coin set i have seen was the victoria silver jubilee set, and world-wide sets would probably total up to atleast 100 or more...

and coin sets are still going...the latest british one it the 2004 set...

Yes, of course there are unofficial and official earlier and later sets, but I think the original poster was just after info about the 40's-60's perspex sets they had.

Worldwide in the history of coinage there are no doubt 10's of thousands of different coin sets!

i was close...

and maundy sets are probably the oldest sets, and maundy sets can be purchased in those plastic cases:)

They were never issued originally in plastic cases, you'll find the plastic cases are modern.

The exact year that Maundy sets were issued as sets for posterity, and not as coins intended for curculation is not really known with any accuracy.

The Romans made commemorative coins, and even in Ancient Greece they made commemorative coins (Postumus Alexander the Great Tetradrachm for example), so perhaps the issuing of sets of one type or another goes back 2000 years before Maundy money!